Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-22-2014, 10:19 PM   #1
66miles

Default Anyone tried putting timing marks on a flattie?

This will either sound completely out of left field, or someone will say "why didn't anyone think of this before". I've been getting a little too obsessed lately about the state of my crab distibutor, and what I can do with this thing to help the old gal be "the best she can be". As a guy who is relatively new to early V8's but who has done plenty with later 8's n 6's, I still wonder why Henry never got around to putting timing marks on the front pully and timing cover. Can't be very hard to mark both with no1 TDC and add a few degree graduations either side, then go from there with a standard timing light like everyone else does. Is this crazy or am I missing something (again)!
66miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:21 PM   #2
35fordtn

Default Re: Anyone tried putting timing marks on a flattie?

I did it to my "driver" car 1937 with a 59AB.. The hardest part is finding TDC with the heads on
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:26 PM   #3
Jack E/NJ

Yup, I did mine with white paint on a cam cover head bolt and a white paint mark on the crank pulley when Ford #5 was at TDC. Just wanted to make sure the strobe worked the same way as I've always done it on my xler and gm motors. 8^)

Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:33 PM   #4
66miles

Thank the Lord guys! I can't believe it. This is a revelation (to me anyway). I know there are plenty of guys out there who have the tools and the know-how to set up an early distributor "just so", and I mean NO disrespect at all to any of them. in fact I admire their expertise. But as a "new" guy who can use a timing light but little else, this could be a game-changer for me. Obviously I gotta lift a head to see #1 at TDC, but I was planning on lifting the heads soon anyway.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:46 PM   #5
RKS.PA

I did this too, on my 59 AB with a crab distributor. I made a pointer to attach to the cam cover and then put a notch in the pulley with white paint to highlight it so that the strobe of my timing light could pick it up with my old eyes and the six volts I'm running. Very worthwhile upgrade!!

Dick.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:54 PM   #6
66miles

Absolutely brilliant Dick! I'll be getting into doing something like this VERY soon. It's gotta help make things easier for guys like us with all the enthusiasm and none of the tools!
Old 01-22-2014, 11:02 PM   #7
Karl Wolf

I replaced one of the bolts from the timing cover on 59AB with a sharpened a stud and put a nut on it, found TDC and cut a notch in the pulley. This was done at assembly, making it relatively easy...
I use a degree adjustable timing light.

Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:07 PM   #8
66miles

This is starting to sound like a better n better idea. Keep it coming!
Old 01-22-2014, 11:25 PM   #9
Ol' Ron

Using the Bruce Lancaster method is the easiest. Using a large tie rap, fish it into the #1 cyl through the spark plug hole. rotate engine in one direction until it hits the head and mark the pulley, Rotate in oppsite direction and mark pulley. TDC is in the middle of the two marks. Place a pointer in this location. now measure the diameter of the pulley and devide by 360. This gives the dimention of each degree. mark off 20 degrees and make another mark. mark off another 5 degrees and you'll have everything you need fo tuning the ignition.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:08 AM   #10
66miles

Ron! This stuff might be as easy as apple pie to you. But believe me my friend. Those few lines ya just came back with have lifted a weight off my shoulders. I'd be tempted to start on it right now, but it's gettin a little close to supper!
Old 01-23-2014, 12:23 AM   #11
hotcoupe

this is my version, the red mark is T.D.C., the closest white mark is 4 degrees and the furthest white mark is 22 degrees.
tom

Last edited by hotcoupe; 01-23-2014 at 12:30 AM. Reason: add image
hotcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:33 AM   #12
Scott H

So to go along with this thread, once you have the marks set (which I could also do with a cam degree wheel I have),
someone please show or explain where you adjust the timing, so its all inclusive in this thread.
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:33 AM   #13
deuce_roadster

I did the same thing as Karl Wolf. Made a pointed stud for the bottom passenger side timing cover bolt. Had the heads off, so TDC was easy. Measured the circumference of the pulley, did some math and figured where to place other notches.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:49 AM   #14
66miles

Seems a few guys have had this same idea before. It's like how to drag Henry into the modern era without having to do much except file a mark on the front pulley! PS: Thanks for the pics hotcoupe!
Old 01-23-2014, 03:18 AM   #15
Mart

Here's how I did it recently, the same method I used on another engine about 10 years ago. The bent wire pointer is surprisingly easy to relocate if removed and refitted.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123411

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:58 AM   #16
flatmotor40

Do you adjust timing with engine running on the crab style or just set it and crank it till it cranks fine and bolt it down and go riding
flatmotor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:37 PM   #17
Heard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Using the Bruce Lancaster method is the easiest. Using a large tie rap, fish it into the #1 cyl through the spark plug hole. rotate engine in one direction until it hits the head and mark the pulley, Rotate in oppsite direction and mark pulley. TDC is in the middle of the two marks. Place a pointer in this location. now measure the diameter of the pulley and devide by 360. This gives the dimention of each degree. mark off 20 degrees and make another mark. mark off another 5 degrees and you'll have everything you need fo tuning the ignition.
Hey Ron...excuse my ignorance but I want to make sure I'm reading this correctly. With the tie rap in there, are you saying the piston will come up and stop due to the thickness of the tie rap?
Old 01-23-2014, 01:07 PM   #18
Pete

Most of the engines I build get dampers so I just buy timing tape and stick it on.
If you only have a pulley, it is easy to mark it with some quick math, a set of dividers and a file.
Bruce's tie wrap method is probably the easiest method of locating top center of an assembled engine.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:01 PM   #19
Karl Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Uh, measure diameter of pulley- MULTIPLY by 3.14 (Pi.), divide by 360- that will give a measurement to use to mark degrees on pulley...

Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:20 PM   #20
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

[Q66 No harm in experimenting ,I did this my self some time ago,its a good way of tracking how the advance weights are going .You can also use a 18 mm plumber fitting and a clear plastic tub and water or TMF .You would set the right points say to 13" then move the advance up or down ,as the light is flashing .As a back up if 66 has a spare dizy send it to me and can set it up at no charge .

QUOTE=Scott H;809311]So to go along with this thread, once you have the marks set (which I could also do with a cam degree wheel I have),
someone please show or explain where you adjust the timing, so its all inclusive in this thread.[/QUOTE]

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,

Last edited by FlatheadTed; 01-23-2014 at 06:22 PM.
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote