Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-28-2016, 01:27 AM   #21
Bluebell

Default Re: Restoration Regrets/Learning Experiences

Paint: It can be one of the most difficult things. Choices, preparation, who, how.
Mechanical stuff is much easier (i'm a mechanic) if you are doing a complete tare down, focus on the body stuff first. the mechanical bits come together in shorter time. Take on board what everyone has said previously.
If you have a partner, you will want that person on side.
Bluebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:59 AM   #22
rich b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
Once you start disassembling take photos, lots of photos. Label everything you take apart even if you're sure you'll remember how it goes back together or where it came from.
Be sure to follow up and organize your pictures and notes as soon as possible and back-up your data. All the pictures in the world do no good if a memory card/phone/computer bites the dust.

Make sure your labels and packaging will survive until you are ready for them; sometimes this is a lot longer than you imagine.

If you have someone helping you; be aware of and record what they are disassembling too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfagan View Post
Don't throw anything away until you are satisfied the job is complete!!
Ain't this the truth, sure is easier to find a new part if you have a sample.

Remember, this isn't TV, most cases there is no need to reduce your car to the smallest pieces, at least not the whole vehicle at one time.

Another thing to resist is prematurely removing all the paint from a car only to have it end up outside or in poor storage and get severely rusted.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:00 AM   #23
FortyNiner

Agree with the pics and pace comments (ie: don't convert it into a pile of parts).

I also am a novice mechanic / body man. Painting a daily driver project is very doable with a simple single stage material. Save the complicated stuff for the experienced crowd. Also, not every resto needs to be frame off. Much simpler to work where it is, if at all possible.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:20 AM   #24
Frank Miller

Join the Early Ford V8 Club of America. See if there is a regional group near you and join that. If possible, go to a national meet and volunteer to judge the class you are restoring. You will network with people who can help you and learn how you truck can be restored to original if that is what you'd like to do. Good luck in however you choos to pursue your goal. All suggestions given have been good.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:37 AM   #25
stangblue

First make sure you have a lot of garage spaces. This hobby can become contagious for parts and cars. :-)))
Old 07-28-2016, 08:45 AM   #26
MGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfagan View Post
Don't throw anything away until you are satisfied the job is complete!!
I would not throw away anything even when I "thought" the job was complete. Several times I thought I was done only to later realize that I wanted to change or add something and would have liked to have the original piece for information as to dimensions, etc.
MGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:53 AM   #27
Planojc

Get it running great, do the brakes, bearings, seals, lights, etc. before you tear it down. Drive it and see what you want to change. Get the complete running gear done first.
Planojc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:27 AM   #28
Bored&Stroked

If you are new to these vintage cars, I'd first spend the time and money to get all the mechanical things done (as best as you possibly can) and drive the crap out of it while you save some $$$ for the bigger expenses (like body, interior, chrome, go-fast stuff and paint). It is really wise to spend some time with it, see if you really love it, see if it speaks to your heart and then determine if you want to invest more into it? Sometimes the right answer is to NOT keep it -- if you're not into it. Find that out first!

Other points:
1) It will take 2 - 3 times more money than you think and 2 - 3 times more time than you think! If any of us understood this (or convinced ourselves of it), we'd probably not start half the projects we do. You have to be an optimist and a positive person to get through our "builds" - so get used to it now! Relentlessness is a key personal trait.
2) It is a whole lot easier to stay motivated if you keep the car on the road as much as possible during various stages. Example: If it runs well, but you want to build a HOT flathead for it . . . build a SECOND engine, all the while you enjoy the first.
3) Mechanical stuff . . . relative easy. High quality body and paint . . . hard to do, hard to find folks to do it . . . terribly expensive if you have to pay/wait to have it done. BUT - if you're not a Pro and you want Pro results - it will cost a LOT and it will take awhile to get it done. Search out the BEST you can afford, spend time with them and spend time really thinking through your options, your budget, your expectations and their capabilities. The hours, labor rates and material costs will be much more than you can anticipate - spend time at it, and let us help you with it when you're making decisions.
4) Quality Parts, Quality Work: Buying the best parts (original if at all possible) and investing in quality work will result in a quality truck - never forget that and never short cut on it. If it takes twice as long to get it done (as you save money along the way), you'll be glad you took that approach - versus quick and dirty.
5) Since it is a family truck, and it is special . . . treat it as such and NEVER sell it. Once they're gone . . . they're gone! Think that through as you get into it, as you budget for it, as you insure it and as you beg others to let you spend money on it!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:36 AM   #29
Bored&Stroked

Couple more 'newbie' points:

If you're mechanically inclined (or willing to learn), there is a LOT that you can do yourself. Why not learn, why not buy the tools, why not enjoy the experience and do as much as you can . . . but only if that makes you happy and you have the time.

There are many things about building cars that I took the time to learn - looking for mentors along the way to teach/guide me. Surround yourself with the BEST people and you'll learn how to do the jobs the right way . . . don't accept mediocrity if you want top-notch results. BUT, if you're cool with making it a driver and having fun along the way, then set your expectations a bit lower and be honest with yourself. Making the truck "as good as new" takes a lot of time and money . . . you may have more fun working on it, learning along the way and not trying to make it "perfect". Also, you can keep the truck for the rest of your life - making it progressively "better" along the way. Come up with a plan, document it, write stuff down along the way, take pictures and enjoy the whole damn experience!

Lastly, by involving others (hopefully in your family and peer group), you'll have folks to prop you up on the bad days, to lend support and to make it more of a 'team' effort. For some that is key . . . for others . . . it is a 'solo only' experience. Decide which of those molds you fit . . .
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:19 AM   #30
Seth Swoboda

I wish I had discovered the fordbarn about fifteen years ago. I first logged on here about 2008 during the days of the "old barn".

One thing I have learned is take the time to find NOS or good usable original parts from the folks here on the barn rather than pick up a reproduction catalog and buy a poorly made part from China. Also, while you're here, take in all the knowledge and information that is given and sift through what pertains to your needs and wants. Some folks here are die hard purists and others are not. That is what makes fordbarn great. One common bond we have is the preservation of early Fords and for the most part in their original form. Take it all in and enjoy but don't take anything personally.

Lastly, you have the opportunity to meet some really good folks here. Become a V8 club member and attend a national meet when possible. You'll really enjoy meeting and talking with them in person.

Last edited by Seth Swoboda; 07-28-2016 at 10:30 AM.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:08 AM   #31
37 Coupe

I have owned many old Fords and one Pontiac over the years including four major restorations.Only thing I would do different is still have them. I have never sold one old Ford that I don't regret,the Pontiac is the only exception of all the cars and had it since new in '69 a Firebird,guy who bought it has over $45,000 in it . Been trying to buy a '53 F-100 back that I sold to a guy in 1990,he has never driven it or taken off my plates to return to me. I will never get it he claimes it has been appraised for $50,000-$75,000 via Barrett Jackson I believe.I am the one who restored/built it in the eighties.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:21 PM   #32
19Fordy

Slowforty's Rule #1 is the best as restoring a vehicle can quickly turn into a money pit,
especially if you can't do the work yourself and have to rent a storage/work space. It's not cheap like it was years ago when these old cars were plentiful.

So, as Clint Eastwood said; " A man's got to know his limitations." There are lots of unfinished projects out there -sitting, waiting and rusting away as "someday" cars. And, the more they sit, the worse they get. Don't get stuck in that rut.

Here's an example. There are two very desirable collector cars under those covers. Been there for the last 40 years, just sitting and deteriorating.
(Not mine.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04401 (Small).JPG (56.8 KB, 103 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 07-28-2016 at 12:43 PM.
19Fordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:53 PM   #33
Ingram 33vicky

When you hire someone to do a job that you can not do yourself NEVER pay more than 10% in advance and NEVER make the final payment without inspecting the work. Even among friends a written agreement is always a good idea.
Paul
Ingram 33vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:58 PM   #34
marzbar

Thanks so much!
marzbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:59 PM   #35
marzbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tub1 View Post
...get the best body you can find ,just like when your looking for a girl
SOLID advice.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:06 PM   #36
marzbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
welcome to the 'Barn.....as you can see, there is lots of help here....and lots of people who have pickups similar to you that should be able to help.....what do you mean by full restoration??....body off frame and everything looking like new when done??...like it came off the showroom floor?....or are you looking for get it able to drive and have fun with it safely.....main thing is having fun....good luck....Mike
Definitely looking to get it safely driven on the highway; not looking for a show car. If I had to make a list:
- Disc brakes
- New engine
- New transmission
- electrical (12v upgraded already)

After that, the aesthetics:
- paint
- upholstery
- dash

I work six days a week and on that sixth day, I want to be able to make it a little easier commute.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:08 PM   #37
marzbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by expavr View Post
X's 2...!!! You can't have enough photos. Make sure they're clear with enough detail so that you understand what went where. LABEL EVERYTHING and put the small hardware, nuts, bolts, screws etc in ziplock baggies with a note where they came from. I can guarantee that 2-3-5 years down the road this up front effort will pay off. It did on the Tonner which took 5 years. Also, unless you're really gung ho about doing a body off restoration start to finish you might want to consider restoring one thing at a time which leave the truck usable and help to hold your interest over the long run. I say that because when you are looking at a pile of parts and you have that "Oh Crap" realization that there is a serious mountain to climb to put them back together again you may have second thoughts about your undertaking. A BIG plus is that trucks are relatively easy to work on and there are plenty of folks here on the Barn who have been there done that. Welcome to the Barn and Good Luck with your project.
Les Wiliams
Excellent ideas - I need to start caving out a space just for reference materials and parts. The wife is going to love it!
Old 07-28-2016, 01:15 PM   #38
marzbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
5) Since it is a family truck, and it is special . . . treat it as such and NEVER sell it. Once they're gone . . . they're gone! Think that through as you get into it, as you budget for it, as you insure it and as you beg others to let you spend money on it!
Great tips - and don't worry, this thing is with us for the long haul!
Old 07-28-2016, 06:09 PM   #39
russcc

As stated before, check the critical things, and drive it. Restoring it may sound like a wonderful idea, but unless you have unlimited time and money, you will missing out on the drive it now experience.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:13 PM   #40
johnboy34

Is your avatar the truck you are talking about? If it is it looks pretty good in that picture, we would all like to see more pictures. You have a ton of good info here, I would add, do not be in a hurry to take it all apart. Does the flathead run? Or is it a six? Sit back and study, make plans, If it does run I would get it to a driving condition and then tackle one thing at a time. Way more fun to work on something that drives when your starting out than something all apart for a long time. They don't seem to get finished unless you are VERY dedicated to doing it. Good Luck.
johnboy34 is offline   Reply With Quote