Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-12-2015, 09:56 PM   #1
Coneross-A

Default Wheel Locking up

Hello All,

I recently bought a 1929 Model A Fordor. My first model A....more of a project than I bargained for, but I am making progress, and it is kind of fun. I am stumped on one issue. When driving the car, the right rear wheel will occasionally lock up. This typically occurs at slow speeds and going into a turn...like a drive way and after the car has warmed up. I have pulled the hub and don't see anything wrong in the brakes. Any thoughts on what to look for?
Coneross-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:01 PM   #2
Rowdy
BANNED

Default Re: Wheel Locking up

Look for welded in lug studs. Possibly hitting the e-brake carrier. Just a thought from past experience. Rod
Old 08-12-2015, 10:05 PM   #3
Coneross-A

lug studs look swedged, I'm wondering if the hub is slightly out of round and with the heat of driving and the force on the wheel in a turn...maybe its warping to the point of dragging on the brake liners
Old 08-13-2015, 03:04 AM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

My 29 Tudor would lock up in the driveway. I found one of the parking brake linings attached with only one rivet.

I wonder if you have a broken tooth jamming the rear end?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:25 PM   #5
Coneross-A

Thanks for the suggestion. I will look at the all of the liners again to make sure all the rivets are intact.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:48 AM   #6
WestCoast

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
one brake adjusted to tight, warped drum, oil or grease in brake drum, one set of bad drake shoes
WestCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:48 PM   #7
Coneross-A

Going to be pulling wheel and hub on Saturday. Will be checking brake adjustment and liners and shoes.What would be an indicator of bad brake shoes? I am new to this...so this may take a while to figure out.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:31 AM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coneross-A View Post
Going to be pulling wheel and hub on Saturday. Will be checking brake adjustment and liners and shoes.What would be an indicator of bad brake shoes? I am new to this...so this may take a while to figure out.
When the shoes are worn to the point of almost touching the rivets.
Also the woven lining works best, even though some may have the molded lining.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:45 AM   #9
Vic in E-TN

I helped a friend yesterday with a similar problem, only on the front wheel. We removed the wheel and looked it over. The adjuster was completely rounded off and could not be turned. We loosened the clevis on the actuating rod and eventually got the drum off. The notches on the adjuster were worn away and the rods from the shoes to the adjuster were worn rounded also. All the parts will be replaced next week. I don't know how the wheel locked up but it sure did.

Vic
Vic in E-TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 12:06 PM   #10
Will N

Is your brake rod rubbing against the shock absorber? I've seen where the rod can wrap over the top of the shock adjusting screw, and as the body moves up and down it can pull on the brake lever.
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:43 PM   #11
Coneross-A

Did not get to pull the hub as planned on Saturday. My speedometer came back in from being repaired so, saturday project was to put that in. I had already purchased a speedo cable since the old one was smoked. While I was in the dash I decided to go ahead and put in the new wiring harness, and....I also fixed a flat tire. Funny how I go to fix one problem...and find 3 more. Hoping to get around to pulling the rear hub one night this week.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:10 AM   #12
larrys40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coneross-A View Post
Did not get to pull the hub as planned on Saturday. My speedometer came back in from being repaired so, saturday project was to put that in. I had already purchased a speedo cable since the old one was smoked. While I was in the dash I decided to go ahead and put in the new wiring harness, and....I also fixed a flat tire. Funny how I go to fix one problem...and find 3 more. Hoping to get around to pulling the rear hub one night this week.

I agree that this is a very probable cause . If it has 32 shocks they are tall in height than the A's it is very probable . Look for a bend in the brake rod around the shock area. Make sure you have the brake rod return/anti rattle springs on and properly placed . Also check rear brake arm for binding/worn bushings, etc . My bet is on the brake rod being caught by the shock

Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:24 AM   #13
Brian in Wheeling

Make sure the levers on the rear are on with the offset the correct way around. If reversed, it will put the rod too close to the shocks.

Brian W.
Brian in Wheeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:38 AM   #14
Coneross-A

I pulled the hub again and found nothing loose, worn, or out of place. So I put the hub back on, and without adjusting anything, the problem seems to have stopped. Don't understand how that could be, but hopefully it stays "fixed". Thanks for everyone's input.