Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-24-2013, 06:06 PM   #1
K9

Default Front axle beam question

Hi, Folks;

First post on this forum, and it has to be a question.

Building a speedster out of a '30 frame and '28 cowl. The front axle from the donor chassis was pretty bent, as was the steering rods, so it had a "history".
Rather than mess with it, I picked up a swap meet bare axle, whose holes looked in great shape. Rusty, but no where near as bad as the original.

I just got through sandblasting it, and it looks purdy, but cast into the inside of the beam is small "AA". Does that mean it came out of a truck, or is that just a foundry identifier? If it DID come out of a truck, is that OK for this application?
Also, I started wondering which was front and back! Now that it's all clean it looked the same either way, except when looking really closely viewing from one of the spindle ends I can see a bow to the center section. Very slight. Is that supposed to be there, and if so, does it go toward the front or to the rear? I would imagine there would be something to give the alignment some caster, but I'm not sure how they went about doing that.

Thanks in advance for your help.
K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Front axle beam question

No worries have at it.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:17 PM   #3
Herb Concord Ca

Hi insert your spindle lock bolts (pins), let that guide you as to which side is front or back.
Herb
Concord CA
Herb Concord Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
James Rogers

The AA is just a foundry identifier. The axle should not have a bow and didn't from the factory and will work either way it is installed.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
Joe K

The original AA trucks until about October 29 used the A axle - this might be the source of your AA designation.

Front or back SHOULD be the same. BUT - years of wear typically tend to push the wheels "back" and give it a bit of a bow. Small amounts are ok and will not affect as you compensate with the tie-rods. Larger amounts may be indicative of other damage to the axle which might affect camber/castor. (If they're pushed back they can be pushed up somewhat too.)

You may be able to see where the spindle lock bolt pins have born up against the axle if the bow doesn't give it away by itself. One side may appear to have had a bolt head against it. Although some early spindle lock bolts have heads on both sides (the later ones the stop was typically on the backside IIRC. See Snyder's Catalog for the different spindle lock bolts and their application.)

It is possible that this might be the later AA heavy axle - but you should be able to tell by the weight alone. You will struggle to lift even a bare AA axle. Or examine the diameter of the King pins. The AA heavy were distinctly larger in diameter. You can find the diameters online if someone can't remember them offhand and jump in.

Hope this helps.

Joe K
Old 04-24-2013, 09:17 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
All my axles have either AA or EE, and if I remember correctly, Marco said it had something to do with the forging or material used in the axle. It had nothing to do with trucks.

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 04-25-2013 at 12:02 AM.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:55 PM   #7
Kevin in NJ

AA and EE are two types of metal used for forging by Ford.

The axle works in either direction though some axles have the holes messed up. The spindle pin wants to go in one way.

Check your axle for snug fit with the king pins. The perch holes should be flat top and bottom. The wish bone should fit snug to the axle.

See my website for how to check the axle and straighten it.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote