Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-19-2014, 08:56 PM   #1
swo4rd

Default Deluxe Roadster on Craig's List

Does anyone out there know this car. It is being offered in Charlottesville Virginia? It has a New York State inspection for 1995. I am trying to find out who did the restoration and what they did. It looks like an early 80's restoration and would have been done in New York State. The engine number has been ground off the boss. It also looks like it might have been a later 31 and the indented firewall and gas tank and carburetor removed. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FRONT VIEW.jpg (42.4 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg ENGINE.jpg (43.6 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg REAR DRIVER SIDE.jpg (34.5 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg REAR VIEW.jpg (36.0 KB, 169 views)
swo4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:16 PM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Deluxe Roadster on Craig's List

Quote:
Originally Posted by swo4rd View Post
Does anyone out there know this car. It is being offered in Charlottesville Virginia? It has a New York State inspection for 1995. I am trying to find out who did the restoration and what they did. It looks like an early 80's restoration and would have been done in New York State. The engine number has been ground off the boss. It also looks like it might have been a later 31 and the indented firewall and gas tank and carburetor removed. Thanks.
What makes you say that? That's a lot of work to replace the tank and firewall.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:34 PM   #3
Dave Mellor NJ

The bows are deluxe but the windshield and stanchions might be standard. If it has 4 snap holes on the stanchions it's standard. 3 holes deluxe. The deluxe is also about 1-1/4" shorter but I don't know the measurement.
Dave Mellor NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:22 PM   #4
swo4rd

Mike, to repair my 180A, my body man completely disassembled the cowl and I was surprised at how easy it comes apart. I can't remember the exact date and page, but in the Service Bulllitens, there is a kit to change the entire fuel system to a post June 1931 system including tank, firewall, valve, gas line and carb...It can be done...and I believe it was done on this car back to the non indented firewall because the firewall cowl structural rivets at the bottom of the firewall do not have the ford waffle marks on them. The interior, however, is...well not bad, and I am curious who might have done it. I have heard now that the car is not from NY, but from RI. I have to say too, that having the engine number ground off the block sends chills down my spine.
swo4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:04 PM   #5
Marco Tahtaras

Hi Don,

I hate to say it but you are on the wrong track. First, the car you pictured was butchered by carelessly removing one firewall and installing a different one with screws instead of welding. It has nothing to do with 'history' beyond this particular car.

Second, Reread the Bulletins and you will find it talks installing the "new" tank in previous cars WITHOUT butchering a thing since the non-indented tank was not being carried for service. Now it's been 15-20 years since I read that but I'd be surprised if I was off base.

I'm unclear how this pertains to your project but if it's all been disassembled then any particular evidence or history has been destroyed.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:08 PM   #6
Marco Tahtaras

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I should also say that I've never seen or heard of a truly verified ORIGINAL indented firewall 180-A. In all fairness this has not been a priority in my life so there is much I could have missed.