Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-24-2013, 08:44 AM   #1
37 Coupe

Default Shewman carburetor spacer.

I am thinking about using one of Bob Shewman's phenolic carb spacers as I think it would help keep the carburetor cool. Anyone else use one of these? I don't really know which style to order if it even makes a difference as I am using one of the new Strombergs but on the later manifold. Would you match up to the Stromberg base pattern or the one that would match up to the manifold which is the 59 Ford carb base? Thank You.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
fottyjs

Default Re: Shewman carburetor spacer.

37 coupe....I have talked with Bob ,as I have been having starting and vapor lock problems, and he said if the spacer didnt help he would give me my monet back. Others have told me that the spacer works. I havent bought one yet....
fottyjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
37 Coupe

Thanks,going to order one just uncertain which style.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #4
alan

put them on several cars, helps in the hot south!!
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
Old Henry

I bought one as it was supposed to stop the boiling of the gas in the carburetor bowl after I parked in the garage to keep the gas from smelling up the garage. The spacer made no difference. I still have to throw a wet rag on the carburetor to keep from smelling up the garage.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #6
JM 35 Sedan

I have one of the spacers designed and sold by 'CoolCarb' in Red Lion, PA. It is larger than just the footprint of the carb and extends out and under the fuel bowl. Dick Spadaro also sells this same spacer and has posted pictures of it here in the past. While this spacer did keep my carburetor cooler (temps measured w/infrared gun), I still had vapor lock problems while climbing the high elavations on hot days with 10% ethanol gas. The main problem was with the glass bowl fuel pump that's located so close to the intake manifold deck. Every time I had VL problems on the Cross Country Tour in June, I could see the gas boiling in the fuel bowl. By placing a small towel soaked in ice water on the FP and gas lines, I could eliminate the VL condition and be on my way again in less than 5 minutes. I am thinking about going back to an original steel top FP and raising the FP/breather stand 1" with some combination of spacer/insulator/gasket assembly and use the 1" longer FP push rod.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #7
37 Coupe

I will try to find a picture of the spacer Dick Spadaro sells but not sure if it would clear or interfere with the wiper vacuum fitting that my 59AB manifold uses. John if I saw bubbles from the glass fuel bowl I would probably think it was air bubbles from a leak. The issue I had surprised me as awhile back I thought mayby engine was running to cool and needed thermostats,not going to run them.Engine ran 180-190 without thermostats but didn't want to start after stopping,carb was hot ,to hot to touch, wasn't Skip's coil either. Engine started but took some cranking.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #8
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
I am thinking about going back to an original steel top FP and raising the FP/breather stand 1" with some combination of spacer/insulator/gasket assembly and use the 1" longer FP push rod.
Or, even easier and does not disturb an authentic engine compartment, you could install an electric fuel pump back by the gas tank to turn on when vapor locked. Always works for me.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #9
oldford2

John,
The next time you see gas "boiling" in the glass bowl, check the temp with your laser thermometer. Someone recently posted the boiling point of the new gas. If it is not that hot, maybe it is air bubbles.
John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #10
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Coupe View Post
I will try to find a picture of the spacer Dick Spadaro sells but not sure if it would clear or interfere with the wiper vacuum fitting that my 59AB manifold uses. John if I saw bubbles from the glass fuel bowl I would probably think it was air bubbles from a leak. The issue I had surprised me as awhile back I thought mayby engine was running to cool and needed thermostats,not going to run them.Engine ran 180-190 without thermostats but didn't want to start after stopping,carb was hot ,to hot to touch, wasn't Skip's coil either. Engine started but took some cranking.
Gerald, here is the link below to Dick's post that has the pictures and test info.
I am not necessarly saying it's better than Bob Shewman's spacer but I believe the part under the fuel bowl does help to deflect some heat away from the carb.
I am sure what I saw in the FP glass bowl, that I called boiling, was alcohol vaporizing from the bottom of the bowl and creating a pressure void in the top of the bowl. I had previously checked the thumb screw under the glass bowl to make sure it was tight against the cork gasket. I am also sure this pressure was going into the fuel lines which all help to stop the flow of fuel to the carb. As soon as the pump cooled down, the bowl began to refill and FP began working again. This always seemed to happen on a long climb up a mountain when engine/coolant temps reached 200°F+. A couple times this happened on a narrow two way road with no place for me to pull over and get out of the way of approaching vehicles. Very dangerous situation.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ght=vapor+lock

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
Old 08-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #11
JM 35 Sedan

"Or, even easier and does not disturb an authentic engine compartment, you could install an electric fuel pump back by the gas tank to turn on when vapor locked. Always works for me"

That just may need to happen if the fuel pump change and elevated position does not correct the problem. I have also recently replaced the thermostats with higher flow versions that seem to have reduced running engine/coolant temps by 5-10°F. The EFV-8 Club Judging Standards Committee unfortunately does not recognize an electric fuel pump as a necessary safety feature that can be used on these cars without the loss of points on the show field. This does prevent some club members from installing an electric fuel pump, but I feel it's better to be safe than worry about loosing points during a show.

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 08-24-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:31 PM   #12
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldford2 View Post
John,
The next time you see gas "boiling" in the glass bowl, check the temp with your laser thermometer. Someone recently posted the boiling point of the new gas. If it is not that hot, maybe it is air bubbles.
John
John, I will plan to do some laser gun heat testing during our PA tour next month.

Old 08-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #13
37 Coupe

John,thanks for posting the thread that was current two years ago. Guess Spadaro's would take the guessing out of which one to order,but I guess common sense would say it should be the configuration of the carb base instead of manifold type? Can't you experiement with different types of insulation and shields if you think your heat problem is in the glass bowl area?
Old 08-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #14
37 Coupe

All I wanted was an answer to which style carb insulator plate I should buy not a green eyed cheap shot at " you know who". I got my answer from Bob Shewman and ordered one. Thanks always to him and GM.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:36 PM   #15
ford38v8

Quote:
All I wanted was an answer to which style carb insulator plate I should buy not a green eyed cheap shot at " you know who". I got my answer from Bob Shewman and ordered one. Thanks always to him and GM.
37 Coupe, I'm with you on that. George has his detractors, but yes, that was a cheap shot.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #16
JM 35 Sedan

[QUOTE=Old Henry;712575]But they don't deduct for fuel pump risers? Fuel line insulation? Huge heat dissipating carburetor spacers? Heat shields? Or this kind of mess that someone came up with?

Is that a Skip's water pump impeller being used as a heat sink on the top of the fuel pump? May be some clue as to who concocted this.:rol]

Those pictures were originally posted by me of some strickly experimental testing that was being done to determine how cool the fuel pump, carburetor and other gas delivery components needed to be to stop vapor lock issues with 10% ethanol gas.
Also, I could care less what the judges consider as not acceptable for show field cars. What I do to my car to make it drivable under today's conditions should be of no concern to them or anyone else.

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 08-25-2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #17
ford38v8

John, to add to that, I met a nice old octogenarian who would proudly open his hood to display his collection of wooden clothes pins. Many will remember him: He drove his 36 coupe solo to all the V8 Meets. Haven't seen him for a long time now, I'm sure the gentleman is in V8 Heaven now, and it would be nice if the new owner of his coupe continued the collection of clothes pins despite the occasional snicker!
Old 08-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #18
52merc

jm35 stick to your guins john you drive your car and operate it the way you want,it seems the same ol knocker trys to shoot down the messanger
Old 08-25-2013, 07:01 PM   #19
Old Henry

Sorry about the "cheap shot". I thought it was funny but I was wrong.

I deleted it.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #20
Cecil/WV

Thanks!
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:55 PM   #21
ford38v8

Henry, you're all right in my book.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:41 PM   #22
G.M.

Henry your cheap shots come after almost all of my posts, it's a matter of record. G.M.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:43 PM   #23
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.M. View Post
Henry your cheap shots come after almost all of my posts, it's a matter of record. G.M.
Actually, I just checked the "record" you speak of. Out of your last 25 posts I only criticized one of them that was actually a post of yours criticizing a post of mine. Better check your "record" a little closer.

Last edited by Old Henry; 08-25-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:12 PM   #24
ken ct
BANNED

LOL,LOL,LOL. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:54 PM   #25
ford38v8

George, old boy, you had it made if only you'd have buttoned your lip!
Old 08-26-2013, 06:41 AM   #26
37 Coupe

I think I ordered the correct spacer for the Stromberg.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:27 AM   #27
G.M.

Quote:
I think I ordered the correct spacer for the Stromberg.
37 the Stromberg spacer is the correct one for your carb. If you have a laser thermometer take some temperatures the base of the carb above the intake manifold. After installing the spacer take the same temperature readings. This cures the boiling in the carb. After shut downs on real hot days you can still get heat build up, the engine gets hotter after shut down because there is no water or air being circulated. Raise the hood when parked to allow this trapped heat to escape. The spacer won't help the fuel boiling in the fuel pump causing a vapor lock in the pump. G.M.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:40 AM   #28
Cecil/WV

The vapor lock on my '50 is always pre carb. because it will always start, after making a short stop, and travel some distance and then run out of gas. A flip of the electric fuel pump solves the problem. GM is tight about opening the hood. On my trip to Tahoe, if I opened my hood while stopped, I never had a problem, but it was easier to just flip the switch for a few seconds.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:06 PM   #29
donald1950

thats what G.M. used to say about me... suposidly in every post critized him... at least he has a new whipping boy now..... thank you henry..... LOL
donald1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:50 PM   #30
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by donald1950 View Post
thats what G.M. used to say about me... suposidly in every post critized him... at least he has a new whipping boy now..... thank you henry..... LOL
I'm not so sure about who was trying to do the whipping on your's and Old Henry's posts, but it would be nice to see it all stop.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:11 PM   #31
Bassman/NZ

Exactly. Everyone has a point of view, we have a common love of flathead Fords, and between us all (and I do mean all) we have probably the biggest collective knowledge of flathead Fords on the planet. Some of us have a more direct or blunt way of expressing our opinions, but we all have valuable contributions to make and all opinions should be respected and digested in the melting pot.
BTW: in my book, it's a good man who can admit a mistake or error of judgement, apologise for it, and rectify the situation. Kudos.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:14 PM   #32
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
I bought one as it was supposed to stop the boiling of the gas in the carburetor bowl after I parked in the garage to keep the gas from smelling up the garage. The spacer made no difference. I still have to throw a wet rag on the carburetor to keep from smelling up the garage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.M. View Post
After shut downs on real hot days you can still get heat build up, the engine gets hotter after shut down because there is no water or air being circulated. Raise the hood when parked to allow this trapped heat to escape. G.M.
G.M. is right. The heat that boils the gas out of the carburetor (and stinks up my garage) doesn't come just from the intake manifold but from everything under the hood. I tried just lifting the hood when I pulled into the garage without throwing the wet rag on the carburetor and it worked. No gas boiling and no stink without having to work that wet rag around the carb.

Thanks G.M. for the idea.

(Can you see my hatchet going under ground?)
Old 08-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #33
oldford2

Professor,

Originally Posted by Old Henry

Boiling gas smelling up your garage - Did you ever put your laser on the carb for the temperature? Was it high enough to boil gas? Maybe you just have a gas leak. What temp does gas boil at?
John
Old 08-29-2013, 05:48 PM   #34
Old Henry

I searched everywhere for leaks then looked down the throat of the carb and could see it boiling into there. Plus, if it was just a leak it wouldn't go away when I threw a wet rag on the carb or now just open up the hood. That's how I know.

Haven't checked the carb temperature. Dropped my laser thermometer and broke it.

Plain gasoline (no ethanol) boils at 185° F on up depending on the octane. E10 fuel boils at 173°. And all of those temperatures drop as the altitude rises. That's why we're struggling more with vapor lock and boiling gas than in the good old days, especially up where I live and drive.

Here's a great video showing gasoline starting to boil at 160°: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7AkcjnCTVU

Last edited by Old Henry; 08-29-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:15 PM   #35
oldford2

Professor,

"looked down the throat of the carb and could see it boiling into there"

When you looked down the throat and saw gas? Where was it coming from? The accel. pump squirt holes? The bowl is vented so maybe some fumes coming from it? Where else would raw gas come from to get in the throat? Next time check it out.
John
Old 08-29-2013, 06:20 PM   #36
Old Henry

The gas was not coming out of the acceleration pump nozzles so I must conclude that it was coming out of the main nozzles. The fumes from the boiling gas could also escape from the bowl vent and probably does.

Last edited by Old Henry; 08-29-2013 at 06:25 PM.