Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-16-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
Timo

Default Smelly '36 Woodie needs advice

My mom passed away and left me the Woodie! How lucky am I?
I'm doing my best to become an "old car buff," but need help with the engine smell. She runs great, but the engine/exhaust is noxious and limits how long I can drive her- the fumes overpower.
What to do? Lead substitute? Engine rebuild?
Also having trouble finding anyone in the Boston area to look at her. Know any garages?
Many thanks for any help or advice.
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
Butch11443

Default Re: Smelly '36 Woodie needs advice

First thing is to get all of the old fuel burned out of her. Then I would see if I could find some fuel without ethanol. Chanage the oil to get rid of the varnish & junk in it also and add a little MMO to the gas & oil and see if it smells better.
Butch
Butch11443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:27 AM   #3
bk53

I'm sorry about the loss of your Mom. She must have thought a lot of you to leave you such a car. You mention engine and exhaust fumes. Can you qualify that a bit?
is it obviously smoking? Is there a gas smell? It could be as simple as getting exhaust leaks fixed up, but a good mechanic as you were saying may be the best bet, if you don't want to really learn the ins and outs of this. I'm taking it that this is a flathead v8?

Thanks,
Bill
bk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
mrtexas

Are you getting blow-by out of where you add oil? If so, rings are in order. Just finished this on my 36 woodie.

There are also a lot of noises, drips, smells, and vibrations to get used to with an antique car you don't have with a modern one.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #5
Mike in AZ

welcome to the 'Barn....hope you can get the car running well, so you can enjoy driving it....got pics??....lol....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
Timo

Thanks for the quick responses! Someone even wrote info on a potential mechanic. I love the Barn!

Butch-
1. I have run the gas tank dry a couple of times, (gas gauge doesn't work, so I run out sometimes), so "old gas" shouldn't be part of the problem.
2. I will change the oil and see if that helps.
3. I did a Google search on MMO, (I'm a newbie, what can I say?), so I will look for some Marvel Mystery Oil and try that, too.

bk53-
There's no smoke and there's no gas smell. The smell is more like what I imagine carbon monoxide to smell like- fumey, it gives you a headache real quick, exhausty... Not sure how to describe it.
Before I inherited it, it was given a whole new exhaust system and gas tank by a mechanic on Cape Cod, so I don't think there would be holes in the exhaust.
It's a flathead, alright. Original engine, a few newer parts, but mostly original.

mrtexas-
I love this car! I love it's creaks and squeaks and rattles. I am hooked! I am amazed at how durable it is. My only trouble is the smell coming off that engine... It is my only complaint and I just want to fix this one issue.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
Timo

Woodie in JPsmall.jpg
Old 04-16-2013, 02:43 PM   #8
Henry/Kokomo

Any chance of some holes in the floor or missing gaskets around the doors or tailgate? It sounds like you might be sucking exhaust fumes into the car as you drive. Incidentally, Carbon Monoxide is odorless and tasteless. That's why it's so dangerous. It'll get you and you don't know it's around. Good luck and welcome to the 'Barn!
Old 04-16-2013, 03:42 PM   #9
FL&WVMIKE

Timo ....................
Check the length of your tail-pipe. Make sure it comes out, at least, to your rear bumper. Someone might have put a too short one on, at some point.
Any muffler shop can weld on an extension.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #10
Seth Swoboda

It sounds to me like you have an exhaust leak. You need to check out the exhaust manifolds to see if you have a bad gasket. Also, check to see if there are any leaks in the exhaust pipes as they travel through the engine compartment and under the car. If your exhaust system is working properly and in good condition you will not have any exhaust odor in the cab of the car. Also, Mike has a good point, if your exhaust is dumping out under the car that could cause the odor.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #11
Y-Blockhead

On your exhaust... On a station wagon the exhaust should not be run straight out the back, it should be run to the side behind the rear tires, by the ends on the bumper, pointed outward.

The square back of the wagon causes a low pressure area and can suck exhaust into the car, especially if you drive with the rear window open or lift gate up (or the tailgate/lift gate seal leaks). I have a '55 Ford ranchwagon and found this out the hard way. Hope this helps.

Nice looking Long Roof, enjoy.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #12
Mike in Mass

Y-Blockhead ,I bet you nailed it right there, a "modern" muffler guy would not know that . 100 bucks says Timo chimes in an says that is it ! ! !
Mike in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #13
bk53

great looking woodie. I hope you get your issues resolved with it. Sounds like you found the right place to ask.
bk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:00 PM   #14
VeryTangled

Timo, Beautiful '36! Every time you drive it you'll think of Moms!

I agree to investigate the way the exhaust is routing out the rear of the car. That square back causes a vortex back there. Also agree with the comments on the fumes coming in the gate area. And any junctions in the current exhaust system.

If you could run it up on a rack or over a pit, or even with two wheels (both drivers, or both passengers) up on a tall curb, you might discover some under-car leak (you should hear it). Otherwise work around the rear end of the system. Maybe you can try a bolt-on tip that you can get at any NAPA-type joint to get a few inches of extension.

You didn't say if it's worse when sitting or driving. I wonder if there is any change?

-VT/Jeff
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:01 PM   #15
G.M.

This smell could be coming out the breather where you install the oil. G.M.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #16
Tom Walker

Hi Timo,

on my '32 Tudor, I get a nasty fume smell from the engine breather on the block. If you rule out the exhaust fumes, you may need to seal off the breather and route it to the air cleaner. There are posts on the Barn for doing this. It is the next item on my to-do list.

Cheers, Tom.
Tom Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #17
woodiewagon46

Timo, welcome to the world of woodies! Y-Block is right, don't drive with your rear window open, as he correctly says the exhaust fumes will get sucked into your car. I would do all of the above suggestions, change ALL the fluids and see how that helps. Also join the National Woodie Club. Every September there is a woodie gathering in Yarmouth Port on the cape called "Woodies On The Green" It's held the same weekend as Wavecrest, this year I believe it s on Saturday Sept. 21st. Last year there were 29 woodies and it's an easy drive from Boston. Look for info in the woodie times. [email protected].
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #18
mrtexas

36 woodie tailpipe:

For the non-woodie owner, 36 woodie has side windows only in the driver and passenger front doors. Rear, back door, and third row openings are for side curtains.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #19
russcc

If you are looking for an expert EV8 mechanic, you may want to call Dan Curley in Marlboro MA 508 485 4177. Very knowledgeable and talented mechanic/craftsman who restores vintage race cars, many with flatheads in them.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #20
Mike in AZ

check to see if triangle shaped outlet at front of oil pan is open??....good luck....beautiful car....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:26 PM   #21
J Franklin

You may want to buy a CO detector at your local hardware store and keep it in the car until you solve the problem.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:02 AM   #22
39wdy

Hi Timo,
The folks who recommended routing the exhaust out to the side are right on the money. Some Woodies were so bad at sucking those fumes into the passenger compartment that they routed the exhaust pipe up the rear corner post and turned it out away from the roof (similar to tractor trailers). They do look kind of cool routed that way and make driving underwater a lot easier (JUST KIDDING!). A beautiful car indeed. I look forward to talking with you about your great Woodie. Best wishes, Toby
39wdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:29 AM   #23
Jay in Mass

Timo
I have been driving and restoring flathead Fords for 50+ years and I am near Plymouth Mass. which is not far from Boston. How far are you from the Plymouth area? You can PM me if you wish.
.. Jay in Mass.
Jay in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:58 AM   #24
woodiewagon46

Timo, You might also join the V8 Ford Club of America. Every year with your membership you receive a membership roster, listing people in your area that can help you. They also have a great forum on their website.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:08 AM   #25
jimTN

The exhaust thing is correct. Some of the original fleet owners actually put a stack out and up above the top on wagons.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #26
Timo

Many thanks to all you generous experts out there! I have many things to try to remedy my smell problem and I am much indebted to all of you for helping out. There are no windows in my Woodie except the windshield, because I took the driver and passenger side windows out to repair the crank mechanisms. So yes, this is a very open car.

My tailpipe goes right out the back AND it barely sticks out much, so I'm thinking that has to be a big part of the problem. I went out this morning and put in the rear plastic window that snaps in. I will take her out for a spin a little later and see if that helps.

And I'll look into a tailpipe extension and maybe even rerouting the pipe out the side.

Thanks!
Old 04-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #27
sawzall

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtexas View Post
36 woodie tailpipe:

For the non-woodie owner, 36 woodie has side windows only in the driver and passenger front doors. Rear, back door, and third row openings are for side curtains.

mr texas.. thanks for clarifying for the non woodie folks in the group..

36's have no rear windows..

perhaps a carburetor rebuild or tuning might be in order. perhaps the carb is dumping MORE fuel than necessary.. did you notice a fuel smell in the oil when it was changed?
Old 04-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #28
Timo

tailpipe.jpg
Old 04-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #29
Timo

Here's my tailpipe. It's 1 1/2 inches in diameter, installed about 6 years ago. There's a sticker on it that says "genuine Ford parts." As you can see, it barely sticks out very far, straight out the back. Part of the problem?
Old 04-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #30
Lawson Cox

i would say that length tail pipe would be a sourse of at least a major portion of your problem. Does the tag, or tail pipe itself give you a part number. Most original Ford tail pipes have the number stamped into the metal. On the end closest to the tail end if I remember correctly. At least it is near one end or the other.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:39 AM   #31
Brendan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay in Mass View Post
Timo
I have been driving and restoring flathead Fords for 50+ years and I am near Plymouth Mass. which is not far from Boston. How far are you from the Plymouth area? You can PM me if you wish.
.. Jay in Mass.

I have seen woodies like that in old movies, I always wondered

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #32
1931 flamingo

Ezold's in Westfield, MA, on rte 10 near/past the airport off Mass pike.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #33
Chris Nelson

I had a similar problem with my 46 conv. after it had been put in the garage. It turned out to be the carb leaking fuel down into the manifold after it shut down. It made the garage stink a few hours after I parked it. A rebuild of the carb cured the problem as well as a fuel regulator to hold the pressure down.
Chris Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #34
bigvince

Hope your Woodie is running right. Make sure the carburetor choke is working properly. I had the same problem with my 48 and when I rebuilt the carb and made sure the choke operated properly, the rich smell went away.

However, these cars all run a bit rich unlike cars with fuel injection. It's called "the old car smell..."
bigvince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:39 PM   #35
rotorwrench

Sometimes new exhaust systems components have coating to prevent corrosion that can smell pretty rough until it finally bakes off of there. A lot of folks paint engine exhaust manifolds after a repair or overhaul and this can give off an odor too until the stuff gets baked well enough. Carbon monoxide has no odor but a lot of other things can cause or emitt odors along with it.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote