Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #21
d.

Default Re: Mouse/ cat

"Bounce" dryer sheets have worked well for 10 years running...change them every season. I've also had good results with Irish Spring soap bar shavings in small dishes,
> but nothing will beat a good guard cat, easily sourced from the local pound. The cat will also solve any snake issues and be a good companion as well...extra points for sitting on your lap while checking parts catalogs in the winter months.
d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:04 PM   #22
1crosscut

Default Re: Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
The sticky paper also works well to trap mice, but it also gets full of all kinds of insects. Is anyone using the sticky fly paper to trap flies? I hate to see fly specks all over a new paint job. I haven't seen the fly paper in years, but I remember when it cost only a nickel or dime for each roll.

Tractor supply carries them. I've seen them at most grocery stores by the bug bombs.
Dave
1crosscut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:10 PM   #23
john in illinois

I use traps in my shop,live in the country and have lots of mice. I used to have good luck with moth balls in the air conditioner in my combine,vbut they sure did not work for my ATV.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8280058.jpg (74.3 KB, 92 views)
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:15 PM   #24
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by john in illinois View Post
I use traps in my shop,live in the country and have lots of mice. I used to have good luck with moth balls in the air conditioner in my combine,vbut they sure did not work for my ATV.
WOW! I've never seen nor heard of that happening before. I do know that some mothballs made today have very little odor. I suppose they have to be made so a baby can eat them without getting sick.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:22 PM   #25
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

A little help on the pail method please. For the can, do you drill a hole exactly in the middle of the can ends and drain the contents and then put a steel rod or dowell thru it ? Do you build a ramp up to the top of the can ?
Thanks Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:49 AM   #26
Modelakid31

Send a message via AIM to Modelakid31

I put a small board like a 2X4 up to the bucket. Acts a a ramp.
Modelakid31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:12 PM   #27
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
A little help on the pail method please. For the can, do you drill a hole exactly in the middle of the can ends and drain the contents and then put a steel rod or dowell thru it ? Do you build a ramp up to the top of the can ?
Thanks Wayne
Wayne,
Ramp is a great idea and a tiny sign, reading, "Olympic Diving Try-outs & PEANUT BUTTER TASTING! Bill W.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:51 PM   #28
Cool Hand Lurker

For the roller I used a couple of spray can covers and duct taped them together at the open ends then drilled a 1/8" hole in the middle so they were fairly balanced. A welding rod pushed through the end holes and through holes in the bucket support the roller. Artistic application of the peanut butter can rebalance the roller so it will rotate easily. I don't use a ramp but I do put it near something higher, like a box. My peanut butter is a couple of years old but I still got a couple of those little bstrds this week. I just replenish it to rebalance the roller.

For side entertainment you could install a motion activated webcam & light to catch the evening Acrobatic Rodent Diver show and play it for your friends at halftime.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:56 PM   #29
zzlegend

Found this interesting you tube video. Same principle as Cool Hand Lurker and others have recommended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79Mzsq07GAk
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:28 PM   #30
BILL WILLIAMSON

My "GHOST" seems to have disappeared. Did anyone make a p-nut butter rodent trap out of a 55 gallon barrel? If so, and you see a greyish/white scum floating in it, let me know, It'll be the "GHOST." (Good riddance! I got enough problems after he farted off all my "STASH CASH!) If I ever get TOTALLY serious, I'M REAL SICK!! Bill W.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:49 PM   #31
Cool Hand Lurker

I have found that I put too much peanut butter on the roller. The mouse is able to clean off the top half of the roller before falling into the water. Kind of like giving him lunch before he takes a dive. I have since scraped off the excess so he has to work for what is left. I just want to get rid of them, not invite them in for a little lunch!
Old 11-02-2012, 08:31 AM   #32
zzlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool hand lurker View Post
i have found that i put too much peanut butter on the roller. The mouse is able to clean off the top half of the roller before falling into the water. Kind of like giving him lunch before he takes a dive. I have since scraped off the excess so he has to work for what is left. I just want to get rid of them, not invite them in for a little lunch!
lol
Old 11-02-2012, 08:52 AM   #33
Tom Wesenberg

I caught 30 mice in the past 4 or 5 weeks using a single trap outside the corner of the garage door. Now I added two more traps and haven't caught any mice in 3 days, so I hope I finally wiped them out. The house next door was empty for about 5 months. A month ago someone bought it and is doing an extensive rehab, so I'm guessing they chased out all the mice.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:39 AM   #34
RonC

plenty of homemade trap examples on youtube.com
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:53 AM   #35
Bigdave

In my garage, I've placed two BIRDX sevices that are designed to keep pests away.
Bigdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:05 AM   #36
Mike in NRN IN

I use Fresh Cab. Started using it four years ago, after an infestation of mice in my coupe (they packed the doors, rumble seat and muffler with the poison pellets).

Have not had any problems since, but I have found some more 'stashes' of the poison pellets in various locations.

Fresh Cab

I usually buy online, but I have found it at local hardware stores.

It's not as obnoxious as Moth balls.
Mike in NRN IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #37
fritznbud

I use peppermint oil on cotton balls, i pick up a bottle of McCormick in the spice aisle at the grocery store.
fritznbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:03 PM   #38
Cool Hand Lurker

In the past when we had a mint plant I put some in a cloth bag and hung it in the car. It worked. Most critters do not like that smell but we don't mind it. The problem with having a mint plant is that it spreads by root so you have to keep it contained in a pot or it will take over the whole yard.

And I have been told that a tuna can of coca cola works well too. The mice like it but they can't burp and they die.
But I like the water bucket. For the mice it is like going to the club at night, a few drinks and you are feeling no pain.....
Old 11-02-2012, 11:15 PM   #39
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Lurker View Post
In the past when we had a mint plant I put some in a cloth bag and hung it in the car. It worked. Most critters do not like that smell but we don't mind it. The problem with having a mint plant is that it spreads by root so you have to keep it contained in a pot or it will take over the whole yard.

And I have been told that a tuna can of coca cola works well too. The mice like it but they can't burp and they die.
But I like the water bucket. For the mice it is like going to the club at night, a few drinks and you are feeling no pain.....
Cool Hand,
You are FUNNY!---A new market for Coke? My back's hurtin' Shall I try the TUNA can thing or straight from the hand blown JUG?
Garden tip # 177: Plant Catnip instead of Mint, cats will come out of the woodwork---------What MOUSE problem??????? Bill W. (No wonder why NO one calls!)
Old 11-02-2012, 11:28 PM   #40
zzlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Lurker View Post

Lurker, you need to get a part time job at the comedy store. LMFAO.