Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-24-2020, 04:33 PM   #1
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck
Default My switch replaced and rear end fixed.

New Pinion Bearning and two U joints fix the rear end. Now the Steering has two much play. Also I need a front end alignment. The gas tank needs replace. Did fix the gas gauge and it works. I watch the temp gauge driving the car home and it was ok. Steering is the worse that need taken care of.The car does have power steering which I like.On my 50 Ford when I got it and it had a lot of play but it was easy to adjust and now it nice to dive. Not sure what to do about the 56 T-Bird yet. Any of you had this problem?
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 05:09 PM   #2
Dobie Gillis

Default Re: My switch replaced and rear end fixed.

The 1st step with the loose steering is to find and eliminate all looseness in the linkage. Depending on how bad the ball joints, idler arm, etc, are you'll note an improvement. After that tackle the steering box. Unless you're familiar with the process it's a job best left to a pro. If you're running bias ply tires consider switching to radials, they have less of a tendency to follow longitudinal irregularities in the road surface.
Old 06-24-2020, 05:27 PM   #3
Old Redneck

I got new Radials on now. I did not notice until I got on the open highway running 50 MPH. Then I notice I was oversteering the car due to-play in steering. Today is the first time I have drove the car any distance about 40 miles.This has to be corrected before I take any trips. Just not sure what to do.
Old 06-24-2020, 05:29 PM   #4
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobie Gillis View Post
The 1st step with the loose steering is to find and eliminate all looseness in the linkage. Depending on how bad the ball joints, idler arm, etc, are you'll note an improvement. After that tackle the steering box. Unless you're familiar with the process it's a job best left to a pro. If you're running bias ply tires consider switching to radials, they have less of a tendency to follow longitudinal irregularities in the road surface.
Good advice, fix all other front-end parts needing repair / replacement before looking at the steering box.
There should be sections about the Front Suspension and Power Steering Inspection & Repair in the '56 shop manual.

When you finally get to the steering box you may need to know which one you have. They were upgraded during the '56 model year. The early (two tooth) version has a 5 pointed star on top and the later (three tooth) version doesn't.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '55-'56 steering box, top c.jpg (60.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg '56-'57 steering box top c.jpg (59.0 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 06-24-2020 at 05:47 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 06:45 PM   #5
Old Redneck

When My Sister got the T-Bird it had standard steering. Then they had power steering added. Dave Woods installed the Power Steering. He was a good mechanic. That has done work for me. He gone now. Yes I need a Pro. to check the front end.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:19 PM   #6
miker98038

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
The steering box is the same for power and manual. The late 56-57 3 sector box is a noticeable improvement if you've got an early 55-56 2 sector box, but probably only if it's worn and needs a rebuild. Red head Steering does great work, but hopefully you'll find someone closer. They're only 10 miles from me on the far left coast.

Do the other front end work first, as stated above. Not too many miles the box might just need adjustment.

https://redheadsteeringgears.com/abo...SAAEgL-z_D_BwE
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:33 PM   #7
Daves55Sedan

If the control valve isn't screwed in to the exact spot where it needs to be on the pitman arm-to-idler-arm rod, the steering can't be corrected.
Screw in until the hole in the drag-link sleeve portion of the valve lines up with the hole in the threads on the steering arm.
If you have doubts about toe-in (which is another factor which can cause a problem like this), take a long nylon string and tie a nut on the end of it and throw it across the rear axle housing, pull it back around the back of the rear tire then pull the string up to the front of the front tire and lay the string on top of a concrete block and some lumber. Hold the string down to the block with a weight. Now do same thing on other side of car.
Make sure the steering wheel is perfectly straight, then look for gaps between the string and outer surface of the front and rear tires. If there are gaps on one side, the toe in is questionable.
The '56 Ford car shop manual gives the following alignment tolerances:
Caster: 1-1/2 degrees max, 1/2 degree min.
Camber: 1-1/4 degrees max, 1/4 degree min.
Toe-in: 1/16 inch to 1/8 inches
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 06:12 AM   #8
Dobie Gillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker98038 View Post
The steering box is the same for power and manual. The late 56-57 3 sector box is a noticeable improvement if you've got an early 55-56 2 sector box, but probably only if it's worn and needs a rebuild. Red head Steering does great work, but hopefully you'll find someone closer. They're only 10 miles from me on the far left coast.

Do the other front end work first, as stated above. Not too many miles the box might just need adjustment.

https://redheadsteeringgears.com/abo...SAAEgL-z_D_BwE
Lares Corp. is closer to you.

https://www.larescorp.com/
Old 06-25-2020, 08:47 AM   #9
Ole Don

Lares does very good work at a reasonable price.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote