Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-04-2021, 02:55 AM   #1
mercman from oz

Default Greatest Barn-Find Collection

Greatest Barn-Find Collection - BC Canada

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrhRiiIAs5U
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 04:12 AM   #2
John Dayhuff

Default Re: Greatest Barn-Find Collection

Says it's a private video.
Old 11-04-2021, 04:52 AM   #3
mercman from oz

That is quite strange, as I personally watched this Video just before adding it to Ford Barn. That is where I got the above photo from? I saved the Link, and now, I can't view it either - all very strange.
Old 11-04-2021, 07:29 AM   #4
trulyvintage

Lightbulb Greatest Barn-Find Collection

You Tube knows both you guys are suspect ….

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 07:50 AM   #5
rotorwrench

It seems that Youtube has sort of added in classifications to videos that didn't always exist. These are likely fairly recent changes to their original policy. It started out as a video sharing web-site but I've learned that things change over time and generally not as folks would like them to. No telling how much data they carry in their system. Stuff is bound to get corrupted and lost at times for one reason or another.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 05:02 PM   #6
mercman from oz

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
When you click onto the Link, it now says " Video unavailable - This Video is Private".
That is unfortunate, as I watched it before adding this Post.

Old 11-05-2021, 12:09 PM   #7
Stretch Cab

While not the type of cars I could afford, here may be an auction to match the one we can't open. https://www.collarcityauctionsonline...?auctionId=727
Old 11-05-2021, 03:38 PM   #8
WTSHNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercman from oz View Post
When you click onto the Link, it now says " Video unavailable - This Video is Private".
That is unfortunate, as I watched it before adding this Post.

It may only be viewable in certain parts of the world as Youtube blocks videos based on viewer's geography.
Old 11-08-2021, 03:18 AM   #9
woofa.express

Not a barn find but very valuable never the less.

An elderly gentleman by the name of Henry lived in Finley which is 12 miles north of Tocumwal. He once asked me if I had seen any Lance Bulldog tractors around. Yes I had and he asked where. I didn’t know the local roads at the time so I put him in the aeroplane and flew him to the location.
Henry drove there and asked the owner if he would care to sell it to the local tractor museum and the answer was negative. The owner wanted the tyres so Henry offered a new set of the same size and the offer was rejected.
I don’t know much of the Lance bulldog tractor but it has a single cylinder and of German design but built in many locations around the world including here in Australia. I did hear a story that it had to be shut down if ever it was left on soft earth without a driver such as lunch time because the very low frequency vibration with every piston stroke would have it sink it into that soft ground until it bellied. Another phenomena was the perfect smoke rings it would form on initial start.
Now I’ve got off the story. Owners are quite entitled to retain ownership of their old motorcars and machinery but it is my opinion that they should keep them undercover- out of the weather. I know a bloke with 5 old cars who wouldn’t sell them because he said one day he would like to have them restored. Forty years have elapsed and they are still in the weather and beyond restoration.
Who ever kept these cars ‘in the barn’ needs to be commended and thanked. It is not only the new owner that will get the pleasure them now but others in the future.
The picture of the Lance Bulldog is from the internet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Unknown.jpeg (13.4 KB, 38 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 08:24 AM   #10
nkaminar

The Lance Bulldog is a fascinating tractor. It is single cylinder of huge displacement, two cycle, and oil burning. You have to heat the combustion chamber very hot to start them. You pull the flywheel counter to the normal direction and the backfire actually is what starts the engine. No muffler. What looks like a muffler is a spark arrestor. Here is a great video about the Lance Bulldog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oStqeGn5azA

There is a version of the Lance Bulldog that is used for hauling on roads. The larger Bulldog in the video is of this kind. It has lights, turn indicators, etc. and is licensed for the road. I would love to have one for Horseless Carriage Club of America tours. But they are well loved tractors and rarely come up for sale, and probably very expensive, plus shipping.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.

Last edited by nkaminar; 11-08-2021 at 08:39 AM.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 08:57 AM   #11
rotorwrench

Reminds me of the early John Deere "Johny Popper" tractors. They were a PITA to start at times. I pulled on those flywheels more than I'd like to say when I was young. My Grandad's old IHC Farmall F-20 and McCormic Deering 22-36 were easier to start with a hand crank.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 12:28 AM   #12
woofa.express

More on Tractors. To follow on from Nkaminar and Rotorwrench.
Our new John Deere. New to us that is.

I remember the financial struggle my parents endured when I was a kid. We had a dairy farm which was largely pretty rough and low lying- wet. To bring this country into production Dad and his neighbour- brother purchased an international tractor, a TD6, with track traction not wheels. A four-cylinder diesel with a petrol start. When I was about 12 I took lunch to Dad who was working this tractor. I asked if I could drive it whilst he ate and he agreed. He watch me, I felt most grown up and important. I must have handled it okay because after eating he walked home and left me to it. That was such a big tractor, so I thought, and my ego was now even bigger.
Sometime later I remember Dad cursing a fuel company and the supplier for increasing the price of petrol from 5 pence an imperial gallon to 7 pence. It was going to present us with some financial hardship he said. Our family motorcar was an English Austin40. It was old and very rusted in the mudguards probably because it had driven through so much cow shit. We had run Farmall A tractors but we must have sold them and I remember we had replaced them with a diesel powered David Brown. A British tractor purchased because the manufacturer financed it with an interest rate lower than that of its competitors.
One day Dad appeared with a John Deere- 2-cylinder petrol tractor but designed to burn kerosene. It had crop front wheels and a flywheel to pull through to crank it. It also had a hand clutch- push to engage. I remember asking Dad why he bought such an unusual tractor with this funny engine. Son, he said, if I was to get a visit from a government excise officer how would I explain we burned petrol when we had only diesel powered tractors. The petrol was of course burned in our personal motorcar- the Austin 40. He said he could tell the excise man that this John Deere is pretty thirsty. He further said, son, you must always tell the truth but if you are dealing with the government it is quite okay to lie, after all they lie to us every day. I have applied that through my life when necessary and further more passed it on to my kids.
As a foot note I remember Dad driving the John Deere into the milking shed holding yard then through the yard rails. He was confused. The TD6, with which he was most familiar with had a clutch which was push to disengage and this John Deere had a pull to disengage. Well he was endeavouring to stop but was infact pushing instead of pulling.
When I drove this John Deere on a good road I’d tie a piece of twine to the governor and pull. Dad didn’t know this. It was so fast it was abit frightening, like quite abit. With the row cropping front wheels it would have rolled so easily had I given the steering a jerk but I was most careful- always. Another thing that frightened me at this speed was this massive fly wheel in front and a little to the left. I’d move my seated position to the right or stand up. I could have been well described as a careful but a speed obsessed delinquent. Today called a hoon.
Pictures from the internet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Unknown-3.jpeg (12.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpeg Unknown-2.jpeg (7.9 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 11-09-2021 at 12:33 AM.
Old 11-09-2021, 11:24 AM   #13
nkaminar

The John Deere has a cleaver compression release for starting. There is a valve that opens up a hole in the cylinder near the top of the stroke. It eliminates most of the compression stroke except for the very last bit. This enables one to turn the flywheel over to start the tractor. After starting the valve is closed so that the engine gets full compression stroke.
Old 11-09-2021, 11:48 AM   #14
40 Deluxe

One brand (maybe more) of single cylinder tractor was started with a shotgun shell. A shell was put into an opening on the cylinder head and clamped down. The holder had a pin that you hit with a hammer to fire the shell. The resulting pressure spun the engine and it started (hopefully). Some aircraft engines were started the same way. Which ones, Gary?
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 01:41 PM   #15
slatgrille

Regarding the compression release on the ole' Johnny Poppers....the early ones didn't have the petcocks to do this. I have a 1940 H model, and a 1937 'unstyled' B. Neither of them has been drilled for the release. I can barely turn the flywheel on the H! The 1944 B I used on my cousins farm had the petcocks as did the 1941 B he used.

Craig
slatgrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 04:11 PM   #16
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
One brand (maybe more) of single cylinder tractor was started with a shotgun shell. A shell was put into an opening on the cylinder head and clamped down. The holder had a pin that you hit with a hammer to fire the shell. The resulting pressure spun the engine and it started (hopefully). Some aircraft engines were started the same way. Which ones, Gary?
Hello 40 Deluxe. I always enjoy reading you and enjoy the communications we have.
My experience has been on only piston and gas turbine/props, (jet prop). I have gone to the good old Wikipedia to get some answers for both you and to satisfy my curiosity. I have simply copied and pasted part of it below.
I also looked up tractors which use a cartridge. Whilst my search was not extensive an entire google page was dedicated to Field Marshall tractors but I would think there were other brands as well.
Three heavy jet pilots I have consulted (family) say the engines on the aeroplanes they fly are started by compressed air. The gas turbines I flew (past tense as I am now retired) started with a starter/generator which is a single unit which doubles to do two functions.
If you, 40Deluxe, or any reader, have had experience with cartridge starts do please write and give us all a run down.

Copied from Wikipedia
The Coffman engine starter (also known as a "shotgun starter") was a starting system used on many piston engines in aircraft and armored vehicles of the 1930s and 1940s. It used a corditecartridge to move a piston, which cranked the engine. The Coffman system was one of the most common brands; another was the Breeze cartridge system, which was produced under Coffman patents. Most American military aircraft and tanks which used radial engines were equipped with this system. Some versions of the Rolls-Royce Merlin engine used in the British Supermarine Spitfire used the Coffman system as a starter. The Hawker Typhoon and Hawker Tempest also used the Coffman system to start their Napier Sabre engines.

Old 11-09-2021, 05:54 PM   #17
nkaminar

Of course, no pellets in the shells. Blanks. If you cut the length down on a 12 gage blank you can fire it off with a flare gun. Makes one hell of a noise. Ear protection recommended.