Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-20-2011, 01:52 AM   #1
Brother Hesekiel

Default Model T . . . for a tall guy?

Howdy!

I'm a 53 year-old guy from California who is 6'6" tall, inseam 36, shoe size 13.

I've decided that I want either a Model T or Model A to grow "old" with. I've test sat in a Model A Roadster today and it's just too darn tight. I was therefore wondering if a Model T Coupe or Runabout would give me more legroom or less?

I'm not interested in a Sedan and I realize that a Touring car might be ideal for me as it would give me some room to work with. However, a nice Touring car is really going to stretch my budget so I would prefer a Runabout or perhaps a tall Coupe.

I plan on being at the T-Meeting either on Friday or Saturday, cash in my pocket.
Brother Hesekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:45 AM   #2
Will N

Default Re: Model T . . . for a tall guy?

As an owner of a Model A roadster and four dour sedan, as well as a T touring, I can tell you that the T probably has the most room to move your legs around to work the pedals, partly because the steering wheel is smallest in the T and because you sit higher. In the Model As, a 30-31 roadster has a bit more legroom than a 28-29, again due to the 30-31 having a smaller steering wheel, and the back cushion being set back more. But you need to consider how you will use the car. If it's to take out on local tours, or going to cruise nights or just driving around, nothing beats an open car, Model T or A. But if you plan on taking it on longer runs- like to regional meets where you'll travel a couple hundred miles and stay the weekend- get yourself a Model A sedan. You're out of the weather, less wind buffetting, it rides nicer, and you have space to pack your stuff in the car.
Will N is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:08 AM   #3
Brother Hesekiel

Thank you for the thorough response. I want to use the car as intended, but only in my small town of Ventura, as neither a Model T nor a Model A makes for a freeway flyer. I want to putter around when getting my afternoon coffee fix, running an errand, perhaps even drive it 3 miles to work and back, once in a while. A Model A Phaeton would be best, but that would mean saving another year and I have that itch now where I'm really feeling he urge to find a car.

I've heard of a fine running, original paint T Coupe in the desert, I know of a T-Speedster in the same area, and I heard that an A Coupe has more interior space than an A Roadster. Ideally I should test fit in any of these, but that's not easy. Hence, I'm trying to figure out in what direction to look.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:29 PM   #4
John Otis

Send a message via AIM to John Otis Send a message via Yahoo to John Otis

Also don't forget a Model T depot hack. Lots of them have weather gear and you can often move the seatback a few inches toward the rear with little work. Would make a big difference for a tall guy.
John Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:34 PM   #5
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Hesekiel View Post
Howdy!

I'm a 53 year-old guy from California who is 6'6" tall, inseam 36, shoe size 13.

I've decided that I want either a Model T or Model A to grow "old" with. I've test sat in a Model A Roadster today and it's just too darn tight. I was therefore wondering if a Model T Coupe or Runabout would give me more legroom or less?

I'm not interested in a Sedan and I realize that a Touring car might be ideal for me as it would give me some room to work with. However, a nice Touring car is really going to stretch my budget so I would prefer a Runabout or perhaps a tall Coupe.

I plan on being at the T-Meeting either on Friday or Saturday, cash in my pocket.
Try setting in a 1917 to 1922 Coupe, lots of head room, and Leg room, but try one first. Herm.
Kohnke Rebabbitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:17 PM   #6
Will N

A model a Phaeton is a much tighter fit than a Roadster.
Will N is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:35 PM   #7
ryan1929

I have a 29 model a phaeton and in 6'2....i tell people its like sitting in a bathtub sideways.....very little room...but with the top down you have lots of head room and i look out over the windshield....phaeton is a french word meaning showfers car...there is twice the room in the back seat for a little loving...hehee
ryan1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:14 PM   #8
Brother Hesekiel

But can't I move the front bench on a Model A Phaeton or Model T Touring car backward with a tiny bit of fabrication?
Old 07-21-2011, 10:21 AM   #9
ryan1929

Not on a 28 or 29 phaeton.....maybe if you had a 30 or 31 delux 2 door phaeton
Old 07-21-2011, 12:48 PM   #10
olejalopy

my father was your size.. big man... had a 1922 model t .. model t's did not have a SEAT ADJUSTMENT... my father was quite a mechanic.. he cut loose the seat and moved it back four inches... you couldnt tell it was altered. one other thing you guys with your big shoes... how did you manage .. those small pedals so close together. especially if you had boots on
olejalopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:34 PM   #11
HOTRODPRIMER

You will have more leg room in a tudor sedan,,both T and A. HRP
Old 07-21-2011, 02:59 PM   #12
ryan1929

with the model A tudor you can get a kit that moves the seat back
Old 07-21-2011, 08:13 PM   #13
flyin-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan1929 View Post
with the model A tudor you can get a kit that moves the seat back

Or you can use the set back that Henry built into each A Sedan.
flyin-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:32 AM   #14
Willie in Houston

I am 6 ft 3 and not exactly small. I find that most earlier Model T's have more room than the later ones. Ford lowered everthing in 1926 including the seat. I think the most uncomfortable T I have ever driven is a 1926/7 touring. My knees jam against the steering wheel. The seat is not adjustable and would take a lot of work including sheet metal extension and seat material extension. Almost anything can be done.
Good luck
Willie in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:51 PM   #15
CharlieB

Frankly Brother their all small cars with minor variations between models and years. You might get more leg room with a pre-'26 T as the fuel tank is under the seat as opposed to cowl mounted. The tank eats some leg room up there. Same is true of the Model A. (all model a's I think). The closed T's are surprisingly tall but you're really up there altitude-wise so a test fit is called for. At 6' 2" with a Touring I'm looking out of the top edge of the windshield. Shoe size? Right & left outter pedals get the most use anyway.
CharlieB is offline   Reply With Quote