Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-27-2011, 07:24 PM   #1
jerry grayson

Default 1935-36 pickup restoration book

The book has been killed by the Board of Directors of the Early Ford V8 Club. They say that only 268 pickups are listed in the EFV8 roster and the cost of publishing this book with this low sample is not a profitable deal!! This is hanging Lawson and me out to dry. we are about 2/3 finished with the raw data and rough outline. We have spent many days and hours researching and interviewing people and working in the Ford archives. They did not even consult us before making the decision, just met and did the deed. In my opinion, someone has a hidden agenda with this, maybe they just don't like us.
They have given the O K to a group to publish a 49-51 Mercury restoration book. I wonder how many of these cars are listed in the roster?
We believe that there is a much greater interest in these pickups than units listed in the roster. Do they think that only someone that has a pickup listed in the roster will buy the book? How many of these pickups are in the hands of non EFV8 members? A person can buy a cab, hood radiator and grill from a 1 1/2 ton truck, match it to a passenger car frame, bolt on a reproduction bed and have a PICKUP!! Look at Lawson Cox's truck. This is exactly how he came up with his.
We think that the EFV8 club has done a disservice to the hobby, not to mention to us with this decision.
What do you think?
jerry grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:34 PM   #2
ken ct
BANNED

Default Re: 1935-36 pickup restoration book

This club does what it wants to do,this isn't the only bit*h i have with this club.All the time and money you guys spent trying to get this book out was only wasted. I feel bad this happend to 2 nice guys in the hobby. ken ct
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:42 PM   #3
35 Ford

I would have bought one!

My 35 Ford Pickup Blog
35 Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:45 PM   #4
ford38v8

Jerry, The Board doesn't have an "agenda with this", nor does it not "like you". Something similar happened with another Ford Book, as the Board rejected the concept of a book devoted to only the '38 Ford for the same reason. You see how the problem was resolved? The book was expanded to include the '39 Ford, and is available today as "The 1938-'39 Ford Book".

I understand how you feel hurt by the decision, but consider expanding your book as we did. There are a great many pickup owners of all years that would jump at the chance to own such a book.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:48 PM   #5
ken ct
BANNED

What a slap in the face Lawson + Jerry this is. ken ct. As far as im concerned this is just another nail in the coffin with this club for me.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:50 PM   #6
33 roadster

Hi, I would also buy one and I am not a member of the club but have a 36 pickup. Thanks, Larry
33 roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:14 PM   #7
DavidG

I believe that Alan's right; it might of flown if it had not been confined to a single model in Ford's lineup of commercial vehicles for 1935 and 1936. Consider adding the station wagon and the panel and sedan deliveries, for example, or including the '33 through '39 pickups, for another example.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:30 PM   #8
jerry grayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Jerry, The Board doesn't have an "agenda with this", nor does it not "like you". Something similar happened with another Ford Book, as the Board rejected the concept of a book devoted to only the '38 Ford for the same reason. You see how the problem was resolved? The book was expanded to include the '39 Ford, and is available today as "The 1938-'39 Ford Book".

I understand how you feel hurt by the decision, but consider expanding your book as we did. There are a great many pickup owners of all years that would jump at the chance to own such a book.
Well, the thing is, they gave the O K with the project and let us go with it for several years and then cut it off with no notice! No alternative, just stop. No discussion with us, just stop!! I am familiar with the history and problems with the 38-39 book and this is not the same.
I have been a member of the EFV8 club since the 70's, I am a master and senior judge and have been chief judge at a national meet in Atlanta. I have been an active member and contributed to the club at the local level having served in all of the elective offices. I am now a member of three EFV8 clubs and for the national to just dismiss our efforts with no notice just stinks!!
To expand the book to cover other years is just not practical as a 34 pickup is a completely different animal, as is a 37, 38 and 39. Do you realize how much research and printed pages it would take to fairly cover all the early year pickups? And how much such a book would have to sell for?
Old 11-27-2011, 08:41 PM   #9
jerry grayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
I believe that Alan's right; it might of flown if it had not been confined to a single model in Ford's lineup of commercial vehicles for 1935 and 1936. Consider adding the station wagon and the panel and sedan deliveries, for example, or including the '33 through '39 pickups, for another example.
We had a discussion about adding the panel, but the sedan delivery and station wagon are passenger car derivatives.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:08 PM   #10
coupe5w36

Might there be smaller publishing companies who would be prepared to do the print?? What if a quantity could be "pre-sold" to raise initial capitol?? Does anything printed need to have the club's blessing?? Just wondering.
coupe5w36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:09 PM   #11
Mike in AZ

I'm sorry to hear about your project....i know Lawson has been working hard on it and figure you have put in the same amount of labor....hopefully something can be done to save the book....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:12 PM   #12
DICK SPADARO

Jerry , just because it doesn't have the the V8 clubs blessing doesn't mean it cant be published. Contact me via PM with what you have, how it is formatted and about how many pictures and drawings.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:17 PM   #13
flatjack9

I have bought all of the V-8 restoration books even though I don't have that particular year. I would also have bought the 35 - 36 truck book and I don't own any trucks. Bad deal ro you.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:50 PM   #14
jerry grayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DICK SPADARO View Post
Jerry , just because it doesn't have the the V8 clubs blessing doesn't mean it cant be published. Contact me via PM with what you have, how it is formatted and about how many pictures and drawings.
Will do!!
Old 11-27-2011, 10:42 PM   #15
FL&WVMIKE

This SUCKS ! I am very disappointed in the Early V8 Ford Club for doing this !
I have been a member since almost the very start. I joined when they first advertised, nationally, in "Hemmings".
I think that they need me, more than I need them.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:41 PM   #16
Steel 35

Pretty sure I know of one thats not in there roster! Keep printing and put a picture on the back of (Your) book showing some love...... happy to provide sample pictures.
Steel 35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:41 AM   #17
tierod

I think I recall providing some info for the proposed book sometime ago when I owned a 36pu. Was looking forwardto seeing it. Sorry for the situation.
tierod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:40 AM   #18
Hoop

"They say that only 268 pickups are listed in the EFV8 roster and the cost of publishing this book with this low sample is not a profitable deal!!"

I read this a couple of times and thought about the "profitable" part.

IF that's what they actually said ... AND, IF that is their true criteria for the decision, some questions might be in order about the purpose of the club.

Is every deal they get into supposed to be "profitable?"

Do they ever spend money without the expectation of profit? Do they ever spend money purely for the sake of the hobby and toward the preservation of early Fords?

... aren't they filed as a "non-profit organization?"

Most clubs must generate revenue to support some activities that benefit the hobby. The Early V8 Club evidently sees publishing this book as a possible revenue enhancer rather than a good work to promote and support early Fords. An examination of the club's expenditures would probably find money spent to cover certain expenses that would be better diverted to the book.

... or you can follow Dick's advice. Current technology makes publishing/printing easier and cheaper than you'd think.

(Here's one that's not on their roster.)

Last edited by Hoop; 11-28-2011 at 05:54 AM.
Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:15 AM   #19
Fe26

I have two that aren't on the roster, and I have been looking forward to this book for quite some time.

Please talk to Mr Spadaro, as others have said, self-publishing could be the way to go. Although to have the imprimatur of the EFV8C would have been desirable, it is not the be all and end all.

Both of you gentlemen have formidable reputations, as such many would be encouraged to buy the book even without the assistance of the club. If you were for example to take a rough survey to ask who would be interested, and find out how many you might sell, this would be good news for a potential publisher.

There any many sites and forums you might pose the question, and don't forget to give the EFV8C a nudge when you ask the question on their sites.

Can I start the survey with a firm order for x1 copy.

Good luck.
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:52 AM   #20
JWL
Member Emeritus

Looking at only what has been posted I get the feeling there is some kind of underlying agenda. However, that would be difficult to uncover. What has changed since the initial "go-ahead" was given? Was there a sudden drop in 35-36 pickup ownership?

One word of advice is to be wary of all the book orders that get talked about before you have the book available.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote