Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-21-2017, 08:35 AM   #81
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Car shows

Stores also think they have to play that loud crap all day long too.
I stay away from stores that play loud "music", or should I say loud noise.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:48 AM   #82
Jeff/Illinois

Today we hear instrumental music of The Doors and cuts from Sgt. Pepper's album in stores, elevators, and the doctor's office, wait a few years when they are blasting us with Hip Hop and all the Rap crap as the millenials take over

Thank goodness for Amazon the box stores think their retail sales are in the toilet now----------
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:53 AM   #83
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
The Beach Boys---- they stole their stuff from Jan and Dean anyways.
I don't think so but looked it up to be sure. From Wiki on Jan & Dean "Playing local venues, they met and performed with the Beach Boys, and discovered the appeal of the latter's "surf sound"."
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:15 AM   #84
BILL WILLIAMSON

DON'T compare the OLDS to Mona Lisa, she's an UGLY broad, with a LONG nose & dirty, stuck down parted hair! She only SMILES, with computer enhancement!
Bill Artcritic
Old 09-21-2017, 09:17 PM   #85
pgerhardt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGBnut View Post
Paul,

I was at the "Roaring Twenties" show in Bethlehem as well. I didn't see you, or any of the other Model A guys I usually chat with. I was parked between a Mustang and a Fiat. My buddy and I were referring to it as a "Car Salad."

My father is 88 years old. He would always meet in Southbury and we would start at the lower fence. Together we would look at all the Model Ts and go up through all the pre-war cars. They were all in the same area. At that point, he had seen what he wanted, and was pretty worn out. He would sit and I would go off and look at the other things I was interested in. Had he joined me this year, he could not have made the hike all over that field trying to find the cars that interested him. I'm glad he didn't come.

I really like that show, and I appreciate all the work that those guys do to put it together. I hope they get it straightened out for next year.

Ken
I did not come in my model A. My friend (who is handicapped) wanted to go in his 1935 Ford 3 window coupe street rod. I went with him and unloaded/loaded his stuff from the car. I was wearing a black T-shirt with my 29 tudor on it. Click on the link below to see the video I shot:

2017 Roaring Twenties Car show

I agree addending the old Southbury show was like visiting an outdoor auto museum - a great experience! Not this year.
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:22 AM   #86
KenCoupe

I've gotta put my two cents into this thread. I like going to car shows to see all the different cars, but I don't show mine. I do get a little tired of all the tri-fives and muscle cars (although I like them very much in small doses. As far as the music, I like lots of different kinds of music. I started listing when the Beatles hit America. The radio stations were still playing a lot of 50's rockabilly and do-wop and I learned to really like a lot of that (Chuck Berry's Greatest Hits was the first album I bought). I really like the 60's music - everything from Beach boys and surf/car music to Beatles, Doors, Cream, etc. I like some of the 70's music - just don't play disco around me. My parents liked swing music which I didn't like when I was younger, but I have come to like and appreciate a lot of it like Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller, the Dorseys, etc. I can't stand Lawrence Welk, and yes I remember the Lennon Sisters. I just think his music is kind of "schlocky". In spite of my love of music and cars, if they play any music at a car show, I would prefer the volume to be low. I want to be able to talk to people about the cars without shouting.
KenCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:46 PM   #87
P.S.

Hey, look.. It's my tudor sitting next to Glenn in Camino's beautiful delivery at the Ironstone Concours d'Elegance today.

My tudor got a green ribbon (second place). The stunning 29 sport coupe that won first place really deserved it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0370.jpg (130.2 KB, 35 views)
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:07 PM   #88
gajeepguy

A local Ford dealership hosts our local club with a "Ford Only" show. No loud music, just Ford stories with like minded guys, lunch provided by the dealership, plus $500 to our club's kitty. This is my kind of show...... -RG
gajeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:14 PM   #89
caboose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I always said that ugly car looked like it was designed by the Aztecs.

GM was so ashamed of it, that they dropped Pontiac altogether.

Lawrence Welk had great singers in your grandmother's day, and they still are great singers today. Not only lots of good talent, but how can you not like seeing all those beautiful gals.
Some writer (Senior moments are longer now) whose name escapes me stated, "the car was so ugly that looking at it would damage your retinas".
caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:16 PM   #90
Synchro909

[QUOTE=Tom Wesenberg;1529438]I always said that ugly car looked like it was designed by the Aztecs.

GM was so ashamed of it, that they dropped Pontiac altogether.

That was until GM America discovered the cars we were making here. They sent some from Australia to the US and labelled them Pontiac GTO, reviving an iconic label because the car deserved it. It was by far the fastest (and safest) car by GM at the time. The GFC put an end to Pontiac and the export so all you guys who hadn't bought on yet missed out. Thousands on a longer floor pan were also sold as Police Pursuit Cars.
GM and Ford are closing up here now. GM will market stuff from Europe and Ford pretty much the same except for the POS Mustang.The car they stopped making here easily had a 5 star safety rating (the maximum) while the Mustang was lucky to score 2. They are so poorly made that you can't even put a bike rack on them, let alone a tow bar.

Last edited by Synchro909; 09-23-2017 at 10:23 PM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:49 PM   #91
31Cabriolet68-C

Shade!!!!
31Cabriolet68-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 05:53 AM   #92
Bob-A

Smile Re: Car shows

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31Cabriolet68-C View Post
Shade!!!!

I only go to the local monthly cruise-in here in Dade City, Fla. Officially the show is suppose to start around 1.00 PM. My car and I go early around 10 AM in order to get a nice "shady" parking spot. Once the rods & muscle-head cars start showing up with the prerequisite loud DJ. We pack up and head out.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:40 AM   #93
Corley

Sorry to admit that I gravtate toward the rat rods. I appreciate some of the interesting engineering that people have come up with. Those guys know how to do stuff, and this is their fun outlet. Most look like junk but are very safe, some actually are junk, but creative junk.

As for showing, I don't. Sitting in a lawn chair listening to some old fart showing off what he doesn't really know, with loud music blaring is something I can do all by myself, and at home I get to pick my own music.

My neighbor spends half of the weekends every summer setting up and showing one of his $110000 hotrods. When I go, I get bored after half an hour of that. Mind you, he bought them as is, doesn't know how to change a tire, so pays to have them maintained, but is the expert when talking to show viewers. Not my cup of tea at all. Rat rodders know how to do things, even if they create questionable sketchy rigs, that's part of the fun.

My model As are for driving and tours.

Just what I like, not suggesting it is for everyone!

Last edited by Corley; 04-28-2018 at 09:01 AM.
Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:05 AM   #94
rosenkranswa

I enjoy shows but prefer small local or community based shows where the fee benefits a museum, or some community organization. I'm not a fan of loud music of any sort at a show, but at moderate volume even the 50's stuff is OK. I also prefer non-judged shows, unless its a Peoples Choice or Sponsors Choice, been pleasantly surprised a few times when something other than a rod or exotic wins - even one of my cars. I love talking to people, especially the kids, and seeing a variety of cars. I'm not a rod fan, but can appreciate good workmanship when I see it. What's always bugged me, however, is the rod that is identified as a '29 Ford when there's less than 10% of a '29 Ford left.

We always set up a bit of a display around the car placing it in context and wear some period attire rather than just show the car. Never miss an opportunity to teach history since so little seems to be taught these days.

'19 T Speedster
'26 T Touring
'29 A Roadster
'30 AA Stakebed
'30 A Pickup
'30 A Town Sedan
'31 A Station Wagon
'38 Columbia Girls bike (WWII)
'40 Elgin Boys bike (WWII)
'42 Super Deluxe Tudor
'42 Willys MB Jeep
'43 Willys MBT Trailer
'43 M3A4 Hand Cart
'43 Harley Davidson 42WLA with sidecar
rosenkranswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:27 AM   #95
Corley

PS. I take it all back, I DO like to try to figure out what the words are to the song "Louis Louis", often played at car shows, though I must admit that after years of trying, the only words that I understand are "Louis Louis". The rest is all just giberish to me so far, but I'll keep listening and trying to figure it out.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:51 AM   #96
KUDZUVIPER

Just for the fun of it:

Louie Louie
The Kingsmen
Louie Louie, oh no, you take me where ya gotta go, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, baby
Louie Louie, oh baby, take me where ya gotta go
A fine little girl, she waits for me
Me catch the ship across the sea
Me sailed the ship all alone
Me never think I'll make it home
Louie Louie, oh no no no, me gotta go, oh no
Louie Louie, oh baby, me gotta go
Three nights and days I sailed the sea
Me think of girl constantly
On the ship, I dream she there
I smell the rose in her hair
Louie Louie, oh no, me gotta go, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, baby
Okay, let's give it to 'em right now
Me see
Me see Jamaica, the moon above
It won't be long me see me love
Me take her in my arms and then
I tell her I'll never leave again
Louie Louie, oh no, me gotta go, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, baby
I said me gotta go now
Let's hustle on out of here
Let's go
Songwriters: Richard Berry
KUDZUVIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:07 PM   #97
Corley

Louis Louis , NO! Now you have ruined it for me!
Old 04-27-2018, 11:57 PM   #98
Chuck Sea/Tac

So have you figured it out yet. everyone is different with different likes and dislikes. Exactly like people in a club. That what makes it interesting. You can’t please everyone.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 04:07 AM   #99
BILL WILLIAMSON

Well, I hope ALL you GRUMPY Folks stay HOME, who wants to SEE/HEAR you???
Bill Mellow
Old 04-28-2018, 10:44 AM   #100
Jeff/Illinois

The best Model A Ford show in the Midwest that I have attended is Sharon Model A Day in Sharon, Wisconsin. Always the first Sunday in June. They draw some other pre-war antique cars too, several early V-8's and a few others.

No trophies, no fees, no bravado just a day of fun. People dressed up in 1920's attire, good chow, (Lions Club I believe it is has a nice dinner) or there are pizza places along main street or sandwiches and a nice swap meet I've bought number of items there. And the Rockford A's put on 'shows' in the middle of main Street one year 'FDR' was there he was very good There have been bank robberies and the local 'police' in a '30 Roadster swing in and in a gun duel arrest the bad guys. A live band plays era music, a newsboy in knockers walks around selling a paper,,,,, all kinds of neat stuff if you haven't been there try to make it!!

Small town atmosphere, what the Midwest is all about!
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote