Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-08-2014, 06:13 PM   #1
mrtexas

Default Early wheels on later hubs

I was under the impression that early 28 wheels shouldn't be used on later Model A drums? How about 40 drums? I have been running big/little tires on 35 wires. I was mounting my early wheels on my open cab pickup today and can't figure a reason not to use the wheels on the 40 drums I have on the car, that is using the adaptor for the lack of ridge on the 40 drums.

Those neon green wheels with whitewalls give me a headache. I'm painting them black and turning the white walls to the inside.

Later 21 inch wheel
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:09 PM   #2
jw hash

Default Re: Early wheels on later hubs

the outer part of the center of the wheel needs to be against the drum. that is part of the design on the model A wheels otherwise you are putting the load just on the lug area. and they could get bent a lot easier.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:47 PM   #3
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw hash View Post
the outer part of the center of the wheel needs to be against the drum. that is part of the design on the model A wheels otherwise you are putting the load just on the lug area. and they could get bent a lot easier.
I'll try to see what you are describing tomorrow!
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:20 AM   #4
juke joint johnny

The hub of these wheels is supposed to fit tight up against the brake drum That is part of their strenth . If you mount the early wheels on late Model A drums they hover over the drum about a 3/8 gap . I have never tried them on 40 drums but I expect it will be the same . If so you will compromise on safety !!! Probably better to trade them to someone who needs them for the later wheels .

I agree on that Green Do they Glow in the Dark ????
John Cochran
juke joint johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:08 AM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

I agree with John. It's important that the inner part of the wheel hub AND the outer ring touches the brake drum at the same time for maximum strength. By inner, I mean around the stud holes, and not the inner hole.

As John mentioned, you might be better selling these to someone that can use them, then buying the correct wheels to fit your brake drums.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:33 AM   #6
oldwoodsman

maybe this will help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 215996.jpg (172.4 KB, 95 views)
oldwoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:12 AM   #7
Kevin in NJ

Think about the design looking at the cross section that oldwoodsman posted.

Ford engineered his designs for reasons. The original wheel drum hub setup created a support structure. The wheel when bolted down to the drum allowed for box sections to be created. The outer rim of the wheel pressed against the out section of the steel brake drum. This will give more structure to the wheel center and to the brake drum. It also helps conduct heat away from the drum into the spokes.

When you mount the wheel with no support at the outside edge of the center area you allow for more flex.

Conversely, when you mount a non-standard wheel on a steel drum you loose structure on the drum and reduce the heat transfer. This should allow the drums to warp and fade easier. It might be why we see some wheel centers with cracks too.

I am not sure of the full effects of the above changes. Many people have done both and few reports of problems have come out of it. On the other hand, most people do not seem to notice glaring problems with their cars or do anything about them. So to say there is not problem is not accurate until someone does a scientifically significant study.

As always, to change what Ford designed you must think hard. Ford designed the car with some very very smart engineers and I know I am not smarter then they are so I try to put the car back the way it was designed.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:05 AM   #8
Purdy Swoft

I've never tried using the early style wheels. Here is a picture of an early rear brake drum on the left. Other than the larger center hole where the hub fits, the early rear drums look like the front brake drums. Hope this will help give some kind of idea.

Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:41 PM   #9
1931 flamingo

My understanding, 35 wires are a bolt on to the A drums. 35 wires to the later drums require the spacers, and I would assume (I know) that the early wires would also need the spacers to the 40 drums. FWIW
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:18 AM   #10
Dannerr

Just removed my stock 19" wheels from (what I know to be) stock drums, and they do not touch on other places, than the lugnuts and the ridge on the rim:

So, as you can see on the brake dust on the drum, the wheel does not touch the drums outside.

My advice: try it on, and make an adaptor just to be safe.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:43 PM   #11
Neal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannerr View Post
Just removed my stock 19" wheels from (what I know to be) stock drums, and they do not touch on other places, than the lugnuts and the ridge on the rim:

So, as you can see on the brake dust on the drum, the wheel does not touch the drums outside.

My advice: try it on, and make an adaptor just to be safe.
It looks to me that the third area where the rim comes into contact with the drum is by the outside edge. The outside face of the rim against the drum. Your pictures show a ring where the two have come into contact. Tough for me to describe it but the paint on the drum shows wear.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:11 PM   #12
oldwoodsman

Danner.....on my 29 Tudor the 21" wheels seat in three places as per the attached picture.
oldwoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:06 PM   #13
larrys40

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwoodsman View Post
Danner.....on my 29 Tudor the 21" wheels seat in three places as per the attached picture.

That is exactly correct they seat in 3 places exactly . If they aren't seating they are bent . You also can't use a BR wheel on an AR hub/drum
Larry
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote