Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
jimTN

Default Mac's quality control

I am sorry to say the new management does not appear to take QC seriously. I reported two items to them and got "we have been buying from the same vendor for three years and no problems......" I gave them further suggestions and will report on progress.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
Kube

Default Re: Mac's quality control

I just ordered a bunch of '61 T-Bird brake parts from them as I could not find them elsewhere. I did so very apprehensively as I have heard too many nightmare stories to make me feel confident.
I can't see what can go wrong with return springs (HA! We'll see...) but the drums do scare me.
I'll let you Barner's know one way or another...
Old 10-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #3
moonshine runner

I just recently got 2 orders from Mac's with no issues. Everything I ordered came to me. The first order was less than $100, but the second was several hundred dollars.

I am pleased with their service!

Kevin
moonshine runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #4
J Franklin

I never had an issue with Mac's, what was your quality problem? Sometimes what they might have to offer is the only item available to offer. Did they allow a return?
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:57 PM   #5
itsa52

Quality Control is typically at the manufacturing level not the retailer..
They use profit margin as their gauge.. Returns and complaints are or should be factored in
itsa52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:42 AM   #6
jimTN

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Slide washer for 32 windshield would not go over the stud without being enlarged with a punch and the slide knobs had to be tapped out to screw all the way on against the slide.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:34 AM   #7
gkgeiger

My only problem has been slow shipping. If you don't pay them the $3.95 for quick shipping it could be 3-4 day before they ship. Before the new owner I could sometimes get an order the very next day. I sent an email complaining and did get a response with an apology and excuses. I will be using other sources.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #8
36-5window
BANNED

WOW! you guys are hard to please! I been a mechanic 50 years now, parts men have a tough life. They get the wrong parts, slow shipping of parts, and they get blamed for it! no need to get excited fellas, many times parts getting is a problem. give em' a brake.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:59 AM   #9
TStiles

36-5,
Here’s another slant on the issue: Our culture has, over time, learned to accept mediocrity more and more. The standards that manufacturers are held to slip because nobody holds their feet to the fire. The quality slips because nobody stops buying crappy products.
It used to be that quality products and services resulted from pride. Now, quality products and services are becoming unique in my experience. Are my expectations too high? Maybe so. They, too are becoming unique…
TStiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #10
alt63bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
I just ordered a bunch of '61 T-Bird brake parts from them as I could not find them elsewhere. I did so very apprehensively as I have heard too many nightmare stories to make me feel confident.
I can't see what can go wrong with return springs (HA! We'll see...) but the drums do scare me.
I'll let you Barner's know one way or another...

Kube, what are you trying to find, and have you tried the vendors that specialize in '58-'66 'Birds? Feel free to PM me direct. Also try Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l's website www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net - I'm VTCI's Tech Director and if there's anything I need to be aware of it's things like what you're going through. Now I wish I had some '61 parts to trade for what I need for my '40 Std Tudor (and I need a LOT of little things).
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
35+ year member, Crown Victoria Ass'n.
alt63bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:41 AM   #11
itslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TStiles View Post
36-5,
Here’s another slant on the issue: Our culture has, over time, learned to accept mediocrity more and more. The standards that manufacturers are held to slip because nobody holds their feet to the fire. The quality slips because nobody stops buying crappy products.
Our culture expects cheap products and isn't willing to pay the costs that a quality product would require.

The reproduction vendors have to build to a price point or they'll never recoup their investment. That price point dictates that compromises be made, which unfortunately, typically is in the part quality department (whether it be due to cheap materials, looser tolerances resulting in fewer rejected parts, etc).

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #12
TStiles

We'll soon be able to 3D print in metals. At that point we'll be able to manage the quality ourselves. Imagine printing your own tail light bezel for a '40 in your shop - perfect every time.
TStiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #13
Rowdy
BANNED

Having worked in manufacturing for nearly 20 years I can tell you that the PPM for all antique car parts repop manufacturers is alot higher than what ever would be allowed in the OE manufacurer levels. Our PPm was about 150 at the highest and we got dinged hard by Ford and GM for it even being that high. At one time the plant I worked at had a PPM of 5. With the repop stuff currently availiable I would say it across the board it about 5,000 or alittle higher. Not good looking at it from my perspective. Rod
Old 10-09-2013, 12:19 PM   #14
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
Having worked in manufacturing for nearly 20 years I can tell you that the PPM for all antique car parts repop manufacturers is alot higher than what ever would be allowed in the OE manufacurer levels. Our PPm was about 150 at the highest and we got dinged hard by Ford and GM for it even being that high. At one time the plant I worked at had a PPM of 5. With the repop stuff currently availiable I would say it across the board it about 5,000 or alittle higher. Not good looking at it from my perspective. Rod
Rod,

What does PPM stand for? I have lead a sheltered life.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #15
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
Rod,

What does PPM stand for? I have lead a sheltered life.

Charlie Stephens
Me too! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #16
Rowdy
BANNED

Parts per Million. In mass manufacuring of small parts it is a good gauge of overall quality and is mainly gauged at the external lever, although it can be used to indicate things at an internal level also. Internally ours was alittle higher, and was used to gauge a budget for manually 100% sorting hours. And applied to individual departments or proccesses to see which ones needed help. Keep in mind we made shipped about 50,000 shocks a day. Rod
Old 10-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #17
HCO41

I'm disappointed with Barners who feel mediocracy has become part of our culture. I refuse to sign up. The way I see it, our suppliers are willing to except some of this junk. If the suppliers would get together, as a group, and approach the manufacturers with these quality issues, and put them on notice that they will find a manufacturer who can meet theirs and our standards we might improve the quality. Lets not kid ourselves, with few exceptions, most of these parts are manufactured in the far east. I doubt there is more than one making a part that all the retailers are selling. As an example, I bought a reproduction gas tank for my '50 from MACS. When I unwrapped it I found "Bob Drake" impressed into the sheet metal! I just ordered engine paint from C & G. The back of the can had MACS name on it. If the retailers don't follow up our complaints with the manufacturers then there will be no improvment! Quality doesn't cost, it pays!
HCO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #18
V8COOPMAN

I know "parts per million", but thought...couldn't realistically apply here, 'cause WHAT antique car parts are repro'd in the millions-count of pieces? DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 10-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #19
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCO41 View Post
I'm disappointed with Barners who feel mediocracy has become part of our culture. I refuse to sign up. The way I see it, our suppliers are willing to except some of this junk. If the suppliers would get together, as a group, and approach the manufacturers with these quality issues, and put them on notice that they will find a manufacturer who can meet theirs and our standards we might improve the quality. Lets not kid ourselves, with few exceptions, most of these parts are manufactured in the far east. I doubt there is more than one making a part that all the retailers are selling. As an example, I bought a reproduction gas tank for my '50 from MACS. When I unwrapped it I found "Bob Drake" impressed into the sheet metal! I just ordered engine paint from C & G. The back of the can had MACS name on it. If the retailers don't follow up our complaints with the manufacturers then there will be no improvment! Quality doesn't cost, it pays!
HCO41...You better get ready for about 50 replies to your statement from the ones proclaiming just how "lucky" we ALL should be that someone has blessed us with any repro JUNK at all for these old cars. Sad situation all around! Where's KUBE when ya need him? Oh yeah, up in post #2. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 10-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #20
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by TStiles View Post
36-5,
It used to be that quality products and services resulted from pride. Now, quality products and services are becoming unique in my experience. Are my expectations too high? Maybe so. They, too are becoming unique…
AMEN! Your expectations are not too high. Not at all. You, like me, expect to get what we pay for in a timely fashion.
I have stated such numerous times and have been "jumped on" by many that feel "it's the best we can find", etc.
Those are the persons that make it possible for businesses to thrive selling infierior products and offering poor service.