Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-19-2019, 02:21 PM   #1
bavArian

Default Dipstick level

Hello fellow A-ers,

as this is my first post, I'd like to introduce myself first.
My name's Daniel, 29 years old, I'm from Germany (yes, from Bavaria) and I've been fascinated with cars for as long as I can remember. So naturally, cars became one of my hobbies back when I got my license.
A few years ago, I started going to classic car meets with my dad, and about 2 or 3 years ago I started searching for the right classic car.
At first, I wanted a typical european 50s or 60s car, something like a Fiat 850 Coupe, an old Lancia or even a Citroen Traction Avant. But one day I saw an old pre-war car on one of those vintage car meets. It was awesome! The next few weeks I started reading on old pre-war cars, their quirks and faults, and which one can be driven without being a millionaire or having to search a year for a spare part in case something breaks.
Naturally, I ended up reading a lot about the T and A, but with the T's top speed of 60 km/h it didn't seem quite "enjoyable" on german roads. We're quite densely populated over here and the small scale war on our roads doesn't tend to get better, only worse. So driving in a car that's a good portion slower than semis and white vans probably isn't the brightest idea, at least if you want to actually do some touring with it.
About a year later, I still had that weird idea of buying an antique, so I began searching for cars in my area with "normal" pricetags. A real good A roadster is upwards of 25 grand over here, and even a Tudor in medium condition is almost 20 k€. A price I just didn't want to spend as I already have 2 hobby-cars and a daily driver.
Fast forward to fall last year, I found a 1928 roadster with an "older" paintjob and quite some patina, but with solid substance and without much rust as well as a running motor.
Over the winter I began searching for what had to be repaired and began ordering parts, since April I've been repairing it when I had time and was in the mood to do work on it. I'm almost ready now and in the process of getting it licensed.

And in case someone is even reading at this point, I now have the first question I didn't find an answer to in the Les Andrews books or the internet: My dipstick has an F and an L mark on the backside, they're at 16,5 cm (6,5 inch) and 19,5 cm (7,7 inch) from the end of the rounded part respectively. A while ago I found different measurements, I think it was in this forum. Are these the correct markings for the oil level?
If they are, I guess the oil level should be around 3/4 full? On my other cars I usually have the oil level in the middle between low and high, but they're all 90s and 00's cars, so that's a totally different world. I'd assume that with the lubrication system of the A I'd want as much oil in the pan as it can hold without throwing it out of the filler pipe.
Looking forward to your replies.

Have a nice day,

Daniel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A pic.jpg (70.0 KB, 62 views)
bavArian is offline   Reply With Quote