Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-19-2017, 04:58 PM   #11
pgerhardt

Default Re: Car shows

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34pickup View Post
I also have to agree with the others complaining about the LOUD music. If you want to have music, make it low key. If you want to hear it, park closer to the speakers. I hate the loud PA systems that are loud enough that people 100 yards away can't even hear themselves talking.

And the prices to participate are too high. Some of us older retired people are on fixed income. Spending $20 or more every weekend to let someone look at a car we spent thousands of dollars and years of labor to restore is just too expensive. Why do the spectators get in for nothing and we fit the whole bill? Drop the entrance fee and charge everyone so it isn't so painful to participate.

A swap meet area just makes the show to me. I get bored seeing the same cars every time so a stroll through the swap meet area is a nice treasure hunt. And if you charge the swap meet people less you might get some locals wanting to clean out the garage to show up.
Finally...having it in an area with shade is a real plus. Here in the south, it gets intolerable out in the sun after a few hours. Thats one of the reasons I always cut out early.
Agreed. I could never understand paying to show your car. It would be like a concert where the spectators get in free and the performers have to pay to perform.

My favorite local show used to be The "Roaring Twenties" car show held in Southbury CT. They were very organized with all the cars parked by class and year, making viewing a pleasure. And they had a big flea market.

This year they moved their show to Bethlehem CT, and last weekend I attended with great expectations. Unfortunately I was disappointed. They did not supply windshield ID cards to show the year, make, and model of your car. And this year the parking was just a big "miss-mash". As a spectator viewing was not fun. I would not have wanted to be a judge! Imagine a museum where all their exhibits were just randomly thrown in a big room without any information, and visitors had to sort through it all themselves.

Cost was another issue. The admission fee was advertised as $10. While philosophically I am opposed to making cars pay to show, I can "deal" with $10 seeing it as a donation. However when we got to the table to pay, they were charging $5 extra for every person in the car besides the driver. So our REAL cost to enter was $15 not $10. IF you had a big sedan and filled it with friends & family, it might cost you $30-$40 to get into the show so they could make more money charging others to look at your car! Outrageous!!

The car corral was mostly empty ($40 to put your car in), and the flea market (also $40) was also not as good as in prior years. Can you spell GREED!

I hope they get their act together next year, or I will be no longer attending this show.

BTW If you go to our club's (The Fairfield County A's) website:

fairfieldcountymodelA.club

You will find links to club video's (including my trip to this show). An if you click on the "Photo Archive" link you can browse albums of all the local CT shows I have been to.
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote