Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-17-2017, 07:06 AM   #1
captndan

Default Car shows

What makes a really good car show? What makes you want to show your car?
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:56 AM   #2
jhowes

Default Re: Car shows

Lack of loud music really helps. Cost of getting in is an issue discussed on the barn other times. Let the spectators pay, we have thousands in the cars that they have come to see. I go to one each year that separates the cars by year groups. Like pre 35, then 35 to 50 then 50 on up which includes the muscle cars. nothing newer than 25 year old vehicles. I find it nice to see a Model A next to a Whippet or Chevy. Judging and trophies not necessary, distracting at best. Some find the hotrods a distraction, but if they have their own place on the grounds I say suck it up and let them in.
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:31 AM   #3
Licensed to kill

Nothing really makes me want to show my cars. However, there are 5 very small town within a hour of me and if they put one on I will pit a few in just to support the community. Having a cruise included is a plus for me. No judging or prizes is a HUGE plus for me. This hobby is NOT a competition IMO. If there is judging, I wont enter. Don't need nor want the approval of others. Now, having said that, I AM planning on taking "Henry" (the truck in my avatar) to a show this coming weekend that is an 8 hour drive from here. It's a large show that typically gets 1100-1200 cars. The only reason I'll go is because a buddy of mine (best man at my wedding) is heavily involved in it and it's more of an excuse to go for a visit. Well, that and "Henry" could use a little exercise before winter.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:34 AM   #4
denis4x4

Been participating in car shows since 1958! Very simply, the best car shows have the best people or put another way, the best people make the best car shows! It costs money to promote a car show and I don't buy into the "why should I pay money to enter a car show so that other people can pay money to see my car" argument.

My car show participation is limited to single day shows promoted by clubs that give registration money to non profits.

Finally, I'm a car guy and I enjoy looking at a wide variety of cars and meeting new people with different views.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:41 AM   #5
leo

Pets, weapons and alcohol should be excluded.
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:47 AM   #6
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captndan View Post
My opinion: I like the Concours D'Elegance type shows. They don't allow hot rods, and the cars are almost all very high quality restorations or very well preserved originals.

There is a big one coming up this weekend at Ironstone. I like to be there on Friday afternoon and early Saturday when the cars drive onto the lawns.

No loud music (especially not that darned 50's stuff the hot rodders seem to love), no dogs, and no kids running around screaming. Big plus if the Concours is on beautiful lawns or other picnic-able area.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:44 AM   #7
oldbird55

Local cruise nites are great.
oldbird55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:56 AM   #8
glenn in camino

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
My opinion: I like the Concours D'Elegance type shows. They don't allow hot rods, and the cars are almost all very high quality restorations or very well preserved originals.

There is a big one coming up this weekend at Ironstone. I like to be there on Friday afternoon and early Saturday when the cars drive onto the lawns.

No loud music (especially not that darned 50's stuff the hot rodders seem to love), no dogs, and no kids running around screaming. Big plus if the Concours is on beautiful lawns or other picnic-able area.
I'll be there showing my Model A sport coupe. Great place, great cars, wine tasting. Always a good time.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:03 AM   #9
Railcarmover
BANNED

Bugorama Sacramento,VW show,swap and drag racing...camping,alcohol,loud music,open fires,you name it...Woodstock for cars..I'm too old for those shenanigans
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:05 AM   #10
mhsprecher

I guess the three for me are location, variety of cars and the weather.

My three favorite shows are all on grass fields, which, if the weather is good, is a much more forgiving surface than asphalt. My favorite shows are Rockville, MD; the car show at Hershey in October and my local club's show in Sully, VA. All have a good variety of cars. The two local ones have lots of people I know, so the socializing is good.

The quality and variety of cars at Hershey makes it a favorite, although the size of the crowd makes it difficult getting around. I also enjoy the marque club shows, like MARC and the Early Ford V8 club. I went to the Concours in Greenwich, CT once and really enjoyed that one, too.

Last edited by mhsprecher; 09-17-2017 at 09:55 PM.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:43 AM   #11
Bill G

Quote:
Originally Posted by captndan View Post
A cruise really adds spice to a show. We just had one last week end on a Friday evening, preceding the actual car show on Saturday. The cruise lasted about an hour and wound its way all through town. Our city is about 35,000 population so it is large enough to have a great turn out, but small enough that the cruise can wind around pretty much the major parts of town. Crowds of people everywhere, and they really get off when I blew the ahooga horn.

So, maybe the community involvement is one good element for the show.

The Saturday show had about 300-400 cars, and yes there were kids, music and pets. I enjoyed it all.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:45 AM   #12
JOHN CT

I'm in charge of a show today. We have about 70 cars but only 10 model A's and it's free
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (108.5 KB, 115 views)
JOHN CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 12:02 PM   #13
Michael M

I like the local shows put on by churches, schools, fraternal groups, etc. These shows usually attract more families (children) and present an opportunity to inform and educate the young. This interaction is, to me, the best part of any show.

But ditto on the loud music! If you have to shout over the din it's not a good time for anyone. (I've never seen anyone pay attention to the music or the DJ anyway.)
Michael M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 12:34 PM   #14
Phil Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
Bugorama Sacramento,VW show,swap and drag racing...camping,alcohol,loud music,open fires,you name it...Woodstock for cars..I'm too old for those shenanigans
But some of us refuse to grow up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hater maker.... last day.jpg (19.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Bug at Barona.jpg (60.7 KB, 38 views)
Phil Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 01:28 PM   #15
Railcarmover
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Brown View Post
But some of us refuse to grow up
No kidding..they get likkered up Saturday night and then walk around the swap meet in the hot sun the next day,sick and hung over..I always spent the night when I was hustling parts but avoided the debauchery,bad enough sweating and covered in dust,the bottle flu only adds to the misery..

there sure is a bunch of model A / Vw types huh..
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 01:29 PM   #16
1928Mik

I have shown several cars over the years and it's just not fun for me anymore. I noticed alot of shows were 'fixed' in the fact that if you were unknown or not friends with anyone in any of the clubs, you were overlooked. Local cruise-ins were the best, but I did notice alot of times it was the same people with the same cars week after week where they would arrive early, set up their cute little lawn chairs and ez-ups, and sit for 3 hours listening to that damn 50's DJ music. I could skip it for a year and go back and it would be the same. So now I really just enjoy meeting people and talking about cars wherever I go instead of sitting at a car show where the next guy would know just a bit more than you do.

-Life's Too Short To Drive Boring Cars-
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 01:49 PM   #17
2manycars

Seems like I am not alone in hateing the loud 50's music. I dont even like the quiet 50's music. I like to look at cars. I like to talk to car people. Car show DO NOT need music!!
There is a nice cruise night in the next town each month, and I go to see the cars. I park my car as far away from the crappy, sappy 50's music as I can get. The fat little music guy thinks he is doing us a favor, but shouting to talk is not my idea of a good time. the cars are from the teens, 20's. 30's 40's 50's 60's and 70's but the music is the same old 50's crap each time. I cant wait for that guy to retire.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:44 PM   #18
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn in camino View Post
I'll be there showing my Model A sport coupe. Great place, great cars, wine tasting. Always a good time.
Awesome!!! I am planning to bring the 31 Tudor. My 29 Fordor won "Best Unrestored" and "Best in Class" last year, so it was ineligible this year.

Let's hook up! My company is a silver sponsor, so I have passes for the VIP area with the fancy food and booze. It would be an honor to have you as my guest, Glenn. Just look for the youngest Model A owner out there, that's me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016 Ironstone Concours 3.jpg (54.0 KB, 110 views)
Old 09-17-2017, 02:49 PM   #19
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manycars View Post
Seems like I am not alone in hateing the loud 50's music. I dont even like the quiet 50's music. I like to look at cars. I like to talk to car people. Car show DO NOT need music

Agreed!!! Some of the Concours type shows have some live, usually acustic music playing softly in the background. That really adds to a show. This year, like others before, Ironstone will have a live big band playing the big band music of Glenn Miller, Harry James Orahestra, Benny Goodman, etc.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:19 PM   #20
TerryO

[QUOTE][This year, like others before, Ironstone will have a live big band playing the big band music of Glenn Miller, Harry James Orahestra, Benny Goodman, etc. /QUOTE]

NICE!!!

TerryO
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote