Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-22-2011, 05:17 PM   #41
jrelliott

Default Re: Leatherback '28-'29 Group

I have a '28 Leatherback that I acquired about 10 years ago and have restored. Date on firewall is 9-11-28. MN title, frame and engine numbers matched, but after frame restoration, priming and painting the AZ inspector could not find the frame number for AZ title. Should have restamped the frame or put white paint on numbers before putting the body back on. When got the vehicle the wood was in excellent shape as there was no rotten parts anywhere.
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:44 PM   #42
Bill Goddard

The piece you want is not reproduced so you will have to have it made of find and original. It is the mirror image of the one on the other side. I am posting a picture of the area you are talking about. Both parts are identical except the scallop at the bottom end that fits around the dash metal cover. By the way - is the sheetmetal under the header down against the piece on the other side that you do have?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RT side windshield.jpg (34.5 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg RT side windshield closeup.jpg (32.7 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg Rubber bumper.jpg (43.1 KB, 100 views)
Bill Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:05 PM   #43
Roadster62

I know I can't join with my 60C project but thought I post this photo I won on eBay. Is the visor more rounded or are all the Letherback visors the same? Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_6265.jpg (63.5 KB, 61 views)
Roadster62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:51 AM   #44
supergnat

Hi dp46,
I also have a 28 Leatherback. It was manufactured in Oct 28. I think it is original with the exception of paint color. If you need any other photos please let me know. I plan to keep my as original as possible.
Rich
supergnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:12 AM   #45
6shots

Hello Bill,
If you're forming a 60B group, I'd like to join. It's a really interesting car. Also, I have a few interesting problems I'm trying to overcome. Is there some way I can contact you outside of the forum for a longer conversation?
6shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:06 PM   #46
TimM

Hello,

I just bought a 1929 Leatherback last month and I have a few questions to ask and have come up against a problem I need your help with.

First the questions:
1. When did the headliner light move? I have seen some with it above the driver's head and then some are like mine, with it over the back seat.

2. Mine is a 29 but it appears to have had rear seat side armrests...is this correct for that year? The interior was removed prior to my buying it, but it included what looks to be thin plywood with the side armrest attached to it. Should they have been in this car?

Now my problem...the front seat is non-movable. The metal tub has a bracket on each side which is bolted to the B-pillar and has a strip of wood between the edge of the tub and the pillar. But there is no seat bottom sides there anymore. That curved strip of either metal or wood that sits on either side of the seat cushion between it an the door. (interject the correct part name here!) In some of the pictures here that you all have posted, it is really hard to tell what it is made of, it's thickness or how it is attached. I have bought an upholstery kit, but not too certain about how to handle this issue. Help anyone!!!?

Thanks
Tim
TimM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #47
Dale G.

If anyone is interested, I have a nice restorable windshield frame for a 60-A and a metal header cap with original paint on it.
Dale G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:36 PM   #48
Buickcity

Lightbulb Re: Leatherback '28-'29 Group

I have a '' 28 '' leatherback. been setting for 25 years or more.Started restoring by getting new glass in the windshield frame (as all other glass was good) I then discovered rotten wood.I couldn't get engine to turn over!Took it apart,and discovered block was cracked! Does anyone know of a good machine shop in the Phoenix,AZ. area that is familar with the A ? I found a shop that can weld the block ( it is cracked on one cyl.-between cyl.& exh. valve ) Then I would have to have it sleeved!The welding would melt the babbit-so I would like to have the block machined for the reg.type main bearing inserts. Thanks for your help!!
Buickcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #49
Bill Goddard

TimM, My leatherback has side armrests with '28 interior. Firewall date is 2-6-29. Its the same old problem - Henry used up old parts and materials before using new stuff. I am putting mine back the way it came - with '28 interior. 1929 interior did not have armrests.
The seat is attached to door posts in this car which means seat can't move . If you are tall like me it is unsafe to drive the car - can't make fast movements to engage brakes or clutch. I took the filler pieces out of mine and bought a set of roller bearing seat sliders from Speedway Moters. It is a really neat conversion and is dirt cheap. If you are interested I can send you pictires and info on sliders.
I also have the bottom support piece you are missing in case you want to restore it the way it was. Bill G

I wil post pics tomorrow

Last edited by Bill Goddard; 09-10-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #50
TimM

Bill,

That would be great! I too am tall and any help would be wonderful. I am trying to "dry-fit" the seat springs to make assessment of just how tight it would be. Any pictures, information or suggestions you might have would be cheerfully accepted!

Thanks

Tim
TimM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:48 AM   #51
Rich in Tucson

Hello Buickcity, please call Sammy Guthrie of Arizona Model A at (480) 782-0266 (Tuesday-Friday). He can supply a block and advise you on engine rebuilders in the Phoenix, AZ area. Visit him in Chandler at 15838 S. Gilbert Rd. If you get there before noon a friendly crew, often with visitors from across the globe, is always ready to go to lunch at a local eatery.
Rich in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #52
Bill Goddard

6shots, Sorry it took me so long. Haven't been watching this thread for long time. Contact me by email from my profile on this site. Bill G
Old 09-11-2012, 08:35 PM   #53
Buickcity

Thanks ,Ill call him!
Buickcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:21 AM   #54
david801

I am getting close to the point where I need to decide what color to paint my Leatherback. The top completely missing so I dont know if it was a 60 A or B but I like the black top more so I will go with that. I have a Paint and Finish Guide but cant tell from those tiny paint chips what the car will really look like. Im not too stuck on just the 1928 or 1929 colors, just looking for something nice. Can you Leatherback guys share some pictures of your cars?
david801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:47 AM   #55
Rowdy
BANNED

David I will have alook this weekend and see if we have any top pieces left. We still have a good pile of 60-B sheetmetal and body parts including a rear splash pan. Rod
Old 11-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #56
jrelliott

Would be glad to join this group. Got quite an education restoring my '28 Briggs body as did a lot of the work myself and hired out the machine work, paint and shock rebuild. There were very few of these models around the areas where did the restoration, Rochester, MN and Pine, AZ. These vehicles are truely georgeous when restored to original. They are not quite as desirable as the roadsters and pick ups, but they offer a lot more room and ride great.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:00 AM   #57
Russ

I realize it is long after the fact, but my name was mentioned earlier in this post (I was chasing three small children around the house at the time and somehow missed this). Yes - I have been collecting data for a number of years on 60-A, 60-B, & 60-C Fordors in order to determine production quantities and dates. The key to my study is the information on the body serial number on the Briggs Body Tag, usually located on the wooden cross-rail or side-rail under the floorboard on the front passenger's side. In addition to this information, it is important to cross-reference it with the firewall date (stamped on lower driver's side firewall on gas tank) and frame/engine number. I also like to note the condition of the car (original /restored) to help understand possible discrepancies in the data. I plan on publishing this data in the MAFCA/MARC magazines at some point. If anyone finds this and is interested, please feel free to contact me.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 06:57 AM   #58
supergnat

Hi Russ, I have a nearly original 28 Leatherback. You can checkout my photos. I have attached a photo of the body tag in this email. The tank date is 2 Oct 28. The car is mostly original except for the paint and added seatbelts. Let me know if you need anything specific. I have never had the body off so I cannot check the frame serial number. I do have the original bill of sale which matches my engine number so I suspect this is the original engine.
Supergnat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Passenger side body number.jpg (76.3 KB, 66 views)
supergnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 04:30 PM   #59
jrelliott

I can post a picture as have a '28 Leatherback with all the hardware in that area. Just send me your email address. My email is [email protected]. My '28 has a date of 9-11-28.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:09 PM   #60
dean from bozeman

Leatherback folks,

I will be selling my older restoration '29 Leatherback in the near future but this reply is about your thread.

As I was reading through the thread I didn't realize how "old" the thread was. So when I came across replies from my deceased buddy Steve Ciccalone, I was taken back. He sent some beautiful photos of the '28 Leatherback that he used to own. I, too, have many photos of that car. If folks are interested I could send them to some "group historian". Just let me know how I can/could help.

Dean
[email protected]
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote