Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-07-2018, 10:05 PM   #1
Paul Bjarnason

Default Best fuel and exhaust system for power

I just bought a "touring" motor from one of the major rebuilders: B cam, 6/1 cylinder head, and V-8 clutch and flywheel. I would like to know what people recommend for fuel and exhaust systems for good performance. The Weber setup looks to be a good carb setup but is not vintage in appearance and requires a fuel pump. Some vendors have a dual Model A or B carb updraft manifold which looks vintage and, of course, does not need a fuel pump, but I wonder how well it works and buying the manifold plus two carbs would be expensive. Then, there are American 2-barrel carbs, like the Stromberg 97, which can be bought new now days and uses the same manifold as the Weber. Then, there's the choice of exhaust manifold. The stock Model A manifold looks to be pretty good, but I see some of the vendors have headers, both steel tube and cast iron. Last, I see that a company called "Aries" offers various mufflers which appear vintage Model A, including a high performance muffler for motors putting out 80 or more horsepower. I don't know how much power my motor will put out, but I imagine it will be at least 60. Thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.
Paul Bjarnason is offline   Reply With Quote