Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-25-2019, 03:53 AM   #41
Mart

Default Re: stuck rear hub help

I can't prove it, but I think the one time I was struggling, I had the VP puller wound very tight, but because of the angle I had to reposition it to get it tighter. I slacked it off and when I tightened it again, the hub popped off before I got it as tight as I had it the first time. In other words a tighten/loosen/tighten/loosen technique might be worth an try.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 03:14 PM   #42
supereal

I have used the Winfield Tool Works hub puller for many years and have yet to fail in getting a hub off. Be sure the brake shoes are full retracted by turning the adjusters, and that the large washer under the axle nut has been removed. The puller attaches to the groove in the hub with a "clam shell" cover. There is a cap to protect the threaded end of the axle The threaded shaft of the puller has a small prong that seats in that cap. Tighten the screw as far as you can get it, the give the head of the screw a good rap with a large hammer. If the hub doesn't release, retighten the screw and repeat the process. The Springfield puller is a copy of the original KRW tool. It isn't cheap, but neither is axle replacement.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-27-2019, 07:28 AM   #43
richard crow

supereal has it right the onley other thing i do is screw a die on the end of the axle flush with axle .make sure it,s a thin die so you have a space between the inside of the die & the drum hub this way if you realy have to pond the puller you have insurance that you can save the thread.once the drum moves a 1/4 of an inch the bond is released
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 03:00 PM   #44
supereal

I have used the Winfield Tool Works puller for many years, and never failed to pull the hubs. Be sure you have removed the big washer behind the axle nut, and released the brakes, including the parking brakes Don't use the three legged puller that grabs the edge of the brake drum. Usually those distort the drum, if they don't break it. With the Winfield you attach the puller to the notch in the hub with the sleeve, put in the cup that protects the axle threads, turn the screw down as tight as possible and give the end of the screw a good rap with a big hammer. If the hub doesn't come off, tighten the screw again and give it another whack as set out above. If you have a Ford club nearby, chances are they can loan your theirs.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote