Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-02-2012, 07:44 PM   #1
PhoenixFear

Default What's it worth, '33 pickup

Hi, I have a bit of a curiosity in wondering how much my '33 Ford pickup might be worth to the right person. It was a father-son project between my father and grandfather back in the '60s. It was pretty much a basic amateur frame-off resto, however it was never finished. I got a hold of it and now realize it will take me years to finish. I have the time and the space, however sometimes I have people asking me how much I want for it. I really don't want to sell it but obviously for the right price I'd take it. Here's the specs from what I've gathered:
'53 Ford flathead engine, magnafluxed and cleaned, ready for a .040 overbore. Ford crankshaft, magnafluxed and ground .010 on both the rod and main side. I have new rod and main bearings, full gasket set and a box full of other new goodies for it. It will need the cam ground, cam bearings, pistons, lifters, valves and other parts to be finished. The transmission looks to match the engine however it has a hydraulic clutch, I'm not real sure on it however I can get some numbers off it if needed. It has a '48 rear end, torque tube, and juice brakes all around. 17" rims. Here's a few pictures of it as well.

I have quite a few pictures of it here:
http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y42...Change/33Ford/

The picture of the numbers is the frame stamping, not the stamping on the transmission.
Now, like I said I'm not hurting for money, so I don't really want to give it away or anything. But if I could sell it, how much would it be worth? If you need any other info I can run out to the garage and look at it. Thanks.
PhoenixFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
Lawson Cox

Default Re: What's it worth, '33 pickup

You have the space, time and resources to finish the restoration that your Dad and Grandfather started. I would finish it for sentimental reasons if for nothing else. There are many on here that would be willing to answer any and all questions, help you locate parts etc. I am sure, wherever you are, there is a local chapter of the Early Ford V8 Club of America. Visit it and join it, then tackle the job a bit at a time. I think you would regret selling it if that is the route you choose.
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
deuce lover

As it sits $7-12K in my opinion.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
felix37

I'm with Lawson on this one! there are several 33' Ford pick ups out there, but only one owned by your father and grand father! I would keep it!
felix37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #5
PhoenixFear

I'll probably end up keeping it unless someone offers me the right amount of money for it. I have other things from my father and grandfather so this isn't like the only thing I have left. I just get torn sometimes because I hate to leave it sit, it's been sitting as a conversation piece for 40+ years. On the other hand I'd really like to finish it. My wallet won't agree to that for quite a while though.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:29 PM   #6
flat-v8

Even if it wasn't a family heirloom, 32, 33, 34, pickup's as nice as that dont come everyday, I would never sell it! Hand it down to your son. My oldest son has already claimed my 36' P\U, he said when I'm 100 & too old to enjoy it, he wants it! Ha ha, hopefully never too old to enjoy it!
flat-v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #7
elwood

beautiful pile of parts you have there, id keep it if i was you, you know they dont make those anymore.
elwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #8
DavidG

The seven digit number beginning with the number 5 on your frame suggests that your truck started life with a four-cylinder engine as that is not a '33 V-8 number, which would have been a six digit number.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:03 PM   #9
Russ/40

I'm in Santee if you'd like someone to look at it. PM me your number.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:23 PM   #10
[email protected]

Base on your photo's and mediocre description I wouldn't take a dime less than $65,000.00 to $95000.00 for it.
And we're wearing sunglasses
Let's go.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:08 AM   #11
Ray Parson

ask 150.000 that way you will have it untel the end of time tisk tisk
Ray Parson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:28 AM   #12
jimTN

Rip those swinging pedals out of there, fill the holes, bolt a stock set of pedals back to the frame and get a hyd brake cyl mount which is now available, build that engine or just buy a good running engine from 33 up and drive it. That would not take years and would not be very expensive.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #13
Shadetree

You are not exactly new to the forum so you know how we treasure our old Fords.

There are people on this forum that would give their eye teeth for that pickup. You don't need the money. It doesn't eat hay. It is only asking for a dry place to rest until you decide its fate.

You have been given a freebee that belonged to your grandfather. 99% reading this wasn't given a freebee of this nature and wish they had your options...
Old 06-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #14
PhoenixFear

I'll probably end up keeping it unless something happens where I lose the space to store it. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #15
19Fordy

If in your gut you know that you will never finish rebuilding it, sell it to Ford lover who will. There's no disgrace in doing so.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #16
Mart

There's some hokey engineering there that really should be un-done. No disrespect to your pops and grampops, but they have done a few thgings that leave a bit to be desired. If I were you, Instead of trying to fix everything, work out what would be better off being just put back to more or less standard.

Can you lay your hands on a running engine?
Why go hydraulic on the clutch? Most other folks can make a mech linkage work.
Ditch the swinging pedals, get a stock set back in there.
The rear mount on the gearbox needs the 33/34 mount, which incorporates a rubber insert, the one you have looks solid mounted - no good.

I need to re-read what needs to be done to the engine - just putting that together would be a nice little mini-project in itself, and wouldn't take up much space, and when all back together would be more compact to store than all the parts separate.

I'd love to take it on, it's right up my street so to say, just what I like, more or less complete with some bits that need sorting out or fixing.

If you would like to do it, one thing is certain. There are some of the most knowledgeable flathead guys in the world on this forum. They are generous enough to share their knowledge freely. You only need to ask a simple question and the response is sometime overwhelming. You will not get steered wrong.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote