Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-31-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
[email protected]

Default Just another worthless opinion

The last model was built 85 years ago. And yet people still come on this site and ask what they're worth. And I believe everyone who asks those questions is expecting a spot on answer. And they expect the answer should be answered accurately because they posted a photo. Another one that puts a knot in my colon is the guy who "has all the receipts from the rebuild". I immediately start to wonder if the parts were mfg Marx Toys or at a reputable shop. And then how or who installed them.

To summarize, though there are a lot of opinionated people on this forum, there probably very few that can give an appraisal looking at a photo, amateurs description and a list of receipts.
And we're wearing sunglasses
Let's go.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
Steam Engine Pete

Default Re: Just another worthless opinion

Hopefully I am not one that offended you with my post about the Coupe. I do know better than to expect an exact answer and am just seeking opinions and I do expect them to be all over the place.

Thanks,
Pete
Steam Engine Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:59 PM   #3
yachtsmanbill

Mikes got really thick skin... you cant offend his intergity; he aint got none LOL... If youve ever been around any old iron youll know exactly what its worth... to you!
So lets back up and do the reverse math... Owner wants 1200... thats sorta in the ball park. Does he seem like the kind that knows what he's got? From the one blurry crack phone pic, the drivers side looks solid and all the glass is gone. Its really either a candidate for a 2 year long restoration, 6 months to throw a beater together, or part it out and mnake some money for the time and headaches of the selling AND disassembly AND shipping the stuff.
Is the stuff thats left as solid as it "appears" to be? Are the wood wheels rotted into the dirt? Ultimately you can have 20K into a 7K car. Therefore, re-read the last sentance in the first paragraph. Id offer hime 800 and go from there. ws
Old 05-31-2012, 05:26 PM   #4
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam Engine Pete View Post
Hopefully I am not one that offended you with my post about the Coupe. I do know better than to expect an exact answer and am just seeking opinions and I do expect them to be all over the place.

Thanks,
Pete
Pete, I couldn't get offended at you or anyone else on this forum. Actually I'm the one that's being offensive. Every once in a while I get a burr under my saddle and I have a tendency to make a big deal out of nothing at all. Actually sometimes I get in a mood and stir the pot. I know I'm a pain in the butt and sometimes it can seem personal and for that I truly apologize.

Today's flavor of the day was the VA Medical Center. And every time I have to go in that place and get treated like I'm a thorn in their butt I get upset and then everybody has to pay. That's just one more reason why I'm divorced and most people who know me personally know I'm somewhat of a jerk.

Today I was supposed to go to Bldg 29 to discuss my blood pressure and cholesterol medicine with a pharmacist. They didn't say where in Bldg 29 and believe me bldg 29 is a large place. To get to bldg 29 it's necessary to walk down a very long ramp and if you get there and can't find help it's necessary to walk back up the ramp. After the 3rd round trip I walked out of the clinic after letting a few people know how I felt. I'm currently going to the VA medical ctr for plantar fasciitis (bone spurs) in my feet. I've also got trouble walking because of the number of back surgeries I've had. Some of them were the result of me trying to fly backward 15 feet off a deer stand. That one took out 4 vertabrae and all four had to have laminectomys and then hook that together with a broken leg that was never set and was simply casted and left to heal with the ends of the bones not in line with each other and you got yourself a fella that'll get pissed off if people give bum directions. And that's what happened at the VA med ctr today and seriously got under my skin. I lose track of the fact they're providing me with some excellent medical health facilities. The problem isn't the practitioners, it's usually some fat woman who's job it is to make appts and provide services to the vets. They consider us a hindrance to their job. They lose track of who we are. So I walked out on the appt and came home.

So anyway enough of that. No my thing today was a kind of a rant and somewhat tongue in cheek to get a response. It just strikes me as odd that people would ask a pack of people they don't even know a question about something they really can't see or touch. And these old cars seem to be the only place they do such a thing. And another reason was to take a shot at all the "experts" on here that give advice. Some of them like yachtsmanbill, farmallcub49, Yahnke rebabbitting and BUBBA'S IGNITION and a few others really are experts and most of what they say is good stuff. And then there's guys like me. I wouldn't take advice from me for doing anything. Unless it was BSing.

And last Pete, I would never have a problem with anything you'd say. I saw the job you did on that brass T and was very impressed. You're one heck of a mechanic. And though I consider yachtsmanbill a expert on T's I'd still look up if he told me it was raining. Only because he's that full of crap. LOL
Let's go.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:41 PM   #5
fordman67

You mean to tell me you cant fly? Well dang! Im out,the party is over...nothing to see here...

I can tell you exactly what anything is worth....lick my finger,put it up,figure what way the wind is blowing and we are good to go!
Na, I dont like working on cars...I exist for it!
fordman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:07 AM   #6
CharlieB

Garrison, I'm no expert but I've responded to a number of the kind of post you've mentioned. Especially if I think the guy is going to have his pants jerked down around his ankles with the asking price. I'm a small time Wayne Carini type. I get 'em fix 'em use it till I'm tired of it and sell it. On to the next project. Been through 3 so far in an area that's not know for having T's so I'll jump in if it looks bogus price wise. I agree with Bill in that you do a ground up resto on a T for the goof or love of the car but not for profit. You'll usually sink more into it than it's worth that way. I do save bills. It's a rough guide to what I'll add to the selling price but I don't count hours spent. You'll price yourself out of the market for sure. Every Mechams Auction car has the same story: I've got $50,000 in the car and it goes for $35,000. But as to the topic, Where else can a non-T guy get an idea as to price besides here and, I think, 2 other sites? At least their interested enough to ask.
CharlieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:34 AM   #7
[email protected]

You and Will missed my point. It's got nothing to do with how much you or any one else pays and whether you make a profit but then I always expect Will to twist the meaning into an irrelevant argument. I've restored enough vehicle to know there's no money to be made. Anyone who'd actually try that is foolish. My thing is "how can people come on here and expect an accurate appraisal with nothing to work with but a photo and the sellers description of what the vehicles good points are.
Let's go.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:41 AM   #8
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
Mikes got really thick skin... you cant offend his intergity; he aint got none LOL... If youve ever been around any old iron youll know exactly what its worth... to you!
So lets back up and do the reverse math... Owner wants 1200... thats sorta in the ball park. Does he seem like the kind that knows what he's got? From the one blurry crack phone pic, the drivers side looks solid and all the glass is gone. Its really either a candidate for a 2 year long restoration, 6 months to throw a beater together, or part it out and mnake some money for the time and headaches of the selling AND disassembly AND shipping the stuff.
Is the stuff thats left as solid as it "appears" to be? Are the wood wheels rotted into the dirt? Ultimately you can have 20K into a 7K car. Therefore, re-read the last sentance in the first paragraph. Id offer hime 800 and go from there. ws
You'd offer who $800.00 for what? I'm not buying or selling anything I'm simply asking "how can people come on here and expect an appraisal from nothing more than a photo, a "seller's" description, or a pile of receipts that for as far as anyone knows was for a bunch of crappy Chinese parts. Sometimes I swear dementia is a requirement in order to post on this forum. I'll see you Sunday.
Let's go.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #9
CharlieB

I guess I really don't understand. Where else can some one go for a rough guess? He bought the car it appears so the point is moot. He's happy with the price and it looks like he made his decision partially from info he got here. No problem. As far as Chinese parts go I'm assuming that we've all got a few. (or a lot). Beats nothing all to heck.
CharlieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #10
[email protected]

Who bought what and is happy with what price? Do I have to repeat the question again? I think I can still remember what it was. Oh hell, you guys have read it. I'm done.
Let's go.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:14 PM   #11
yachtsmanbill

You aint done... yer finished! Beyond a forking, get outa the oven. Better sharpen that I.V. needle for the winzer... at 800 the guy could unload it and not lose much. At 1200 its getting tuffer, and at 1500 yer paying for the thrill of owning a model T. Case closed.
Got some of that cajun yardbird with your name on it for dinner Sunday. Cant wait to give you a good slap on the back you old fuddy duddy!

"Sometimes I swear dementia is a requirement in order to post on this forum. I'll see you Sunday."

You do remember how to get here dontcha??? If yer truck gets stuck in the sand youve gone too far! ws
Old 06-01-2012, 07:38 PM   #12
[email protected]

What the he'll are you talking about? 800, 1200, 1500? What do those numbers apply too? And what the hell are you talking about? Are you saying you have a problem with dementia? Are you saying that whoever comes on Here and asks for advice regarding a car is going to be told 800, 1200 or 1500? Wouldn't some of them be more valuable than that? Of course it might be hard to tell by just looking at a picture!
Let's go.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:46 PM   #13
yachtsmanbill

Never, not usually, kind of and sometimes... on the other hand... sometimes its the heat! Heat got the seller on this one. I had a grand and flashed it and he took it. Had it on a truck in an hour. Does the pic relate to a G note pal ????? ws

Dallas, August '08 at 0700. NEVER AGAIN
Old 06-01-2012, 11:21 PM   #14
[email protected]

[QUOTE=yachtsmanbill;435781Does the pic relate to a G note pal ????? ws

[/QUOTE]
What in the hell are you talking about. And what in the hell has the picture of the deuce with a built 85 horse 8ab in it got to do with the subject. Are you trying to impress us with the fact you ripped some guy off by purchasing the deuce from him for $1000.00? And if that's what your trying to do well fine. Or are you saying the guy came on the ford barn and posted a picture, asked what the car was worth, you told him a grand and still ripped him off? Or what? Because if you looked at a picture of that piece of crap on the Ford Barn and offered the guy $1000.00 and bought it for that than you've proved my point. You really can't give a decent appraisal of a vehicle, not even a close or meaningful ball park value off a photo posted on ford barn. And it's these activities that have me scared of the dementia that seems to be affecting you when you post on Ford Barn. And you still haven't told me what the numbers 800, 1200, 1500 mean and who the phantom person was you were talking about earlier in regards to those 3 numbers. So now here's my question again: "how can people come on here and expect an accurate appraisal with nothing to work with but a photo and the sellers description of what the vehicles good points are". Oh and I should tell you that a nice looking car. The engine reminds me of the flatty we built for our '38 pickup. It started out life as a '46 85 hp puke and turned into a 170 hp stomper. And that was with only a pair of 94's on it. Well that and a max one, some offy equipment, punched out to the walls, Hedmans and all kinds of other goodies. And we built that one ourselves. We didn't go buy some cookie cutter plastic piece of shit that someone else built. The sadness comes in the fact I was never able to drive it and it only went up to 70 mph once and then had to be immediately taken off the freeway and hasn't gone over 55 mph in the last 6 years. It's the one thing I should have fought for but didn't.

Now I'm sad, I don't want to play anymore. You win!!!

You are aware I'm going to be there on Sunday, right?
Let's go.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:40 AM   #15
yachtsmanbill

Yikes... and here I thought that gastroenterologist was up the ol' hershey highway... You showed that guy how to bypass the detour signs! Calm down pal... when you land here Sunday, the doctor with the straight jacket and demerol IV drip will meet you on the tarmak. Dont mind riding in a '39 Ford ambulance do ya? We'll have you sitting upright and feedin' yourself solid foods (with plastic spoons) in a day or two. Lets write a script for a new Mel Gibson movie... "Flivverdrome- Beyond bantering".
When you get the finals sorted out gimme a shout and let me know when you think youll be landing. Gonna take off in a bit to get the little floating cottage ready! ws
Old 06-02-2012, 07:35 AM   #16
[email protected]

Quote:
Yikes... and here I thought that gastroenterologist was up the ol' hershey highway... You showed that guy how to bypass the detour signs! Calm down pal... when you land here Sunday, the doctor with the straight jacket and demerol IV drip will meet you on the tarmak. Dont mind riding in a '39 Ford ambulance do ya? We'll have you sitting upright and feedin' yourself solid foods (with plastic spoons) in a day or two. Lets write a script for a new Mel Gibson movie... "Flivverdrome- Beyond bantering".
When you get the finals sorted out gimme a shout and let me know when you think youll be landing. Gonna take off in a bit to get the little floating cottage ready! ws
Naw, I had to go in to go through an endoscopy. They're afraid the liver disease may have created some varicese in my esophagus. Every thing looks ok. Next Friday I go in for the other end. Although the way food's been tasting today I'm thinking doc might have grabbed the wrong scope yesterday. So maybe the cirrhosis isn't killing me yet.

Mike likes demerol. Demerol good.Look for me sometime around 6:00 PM. If I'm going to be there earlier I'll let you know from the road.

Tearing the 3rd member out of the '21 today. There's just too darn much noise. Going to rebuild/replace driveshaft and differential. I went down to Andy's last night with the '26. Had a nice drive. There's times I wish I could take the best of both cars and put them together. But hopefully I won't have to worry about it soon. One will be as good as the other.

But now I gotta go. The Riflemans on tv and I don't want to miss a minute of it. Lucas and Mark are trying to keep the banker from being a jerk. Those McCain boys are some tough mammy jabbers.

Some day I'll meet Mr Connor's and maybe he'll let me try out that 94 he's always draggin' around.
Let's go.

Last edited by [email protected]; 06-02-2012 at 07:44 AM.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:50 AM   #17
yachtsmanbill

The only thing 'ol Chuck was draggin' around was 94 MILLIMETERS! ws
Old 06-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #18
[email protected]

Quote:
The only thing 'ol Chuck was draggin' around was 94 MILLIMETERS! ws
Now your just being mean.