Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-06-2019, 12:33 PM   #1
webengr

Default 1929 window regulator

I am having trouble installing the window escutcheon and handle on new upholstery quarter panel on my 1929 tudor. It seems the regulator shaft is too short. The panel is 1/4". The escutcheon is 15/32" deep if I use the spring loaded one. The pin hole is 5/32" from the upholstery panel. Nothing will fit. I am wondering if my regulators are wrong. Does anyone know how long the regulator shaft should be from the hub of the regulator. It looks like mine is about 1/4" too short. I may have to lengthen the shaft by weld.
webengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:54 PM   #2
Oldbluoval

Default Re: 1929 window regulator

I don't have your needed measurement. However, consider the following:
Did it fit with old upholstery or was there any? Could be new is just too thick
I have had trouble with the new spring under the escutcheon being either too thick or too strong
Is there room toward the end of the shaft square to re-drill a hole that will work? as long as there's pressure and all snugs up and works, a new hole should be fine
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 04:50 PM   #3
webengr

I didn't have any old upholstery. I suspect the new is thicker but that is all that was available. There isn't enough room to drill a new hole even without the spring. The new hold would be at the end of the shaft and the handle wouldn't go on far enough. As an example, the new handles have the pin hole and a set screw. The shaft doesn't stick through the handle far enough for the set screw. The set screw would just be in air. Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:48 PM   #4
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by webengr View Post
I didn't have any old upholstery. I suspect the new is thicker but that is all that was available. There isn't enough room to drill a new hole even without the spring. The new hold would be at the end of the shaft and the handle wouldn't go on far enough. As an example, the new handles have the pin hole and a set screw. The shaft doesn't stick through the handle far enough for the set screw. The set screw would just be in air. Thanks for the reply.
I doubt this is your issue. However the spring goes between the door upholstery panel and the metal door.

The spring does not go between the escutcheon and the door upholstery panel.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:55 AM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

The large diameter end of the spring goes against the upholstery panel. I've had the same problem and had to push like hell to get the pin into place.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:06 AM   #6
30 Closed Cab PU

I have a pickup, and the door cards are less than 1/8 inch thick. Not sure what the thickness of original door cards/upholstery panels were for other models. Just is a uninformed opinion, seems 1/4 inch seems like a lot to me.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:46 AM   #7
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Are these regulators original or repops?

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:13 AM   #8
webengr

The regulators are repos and purchased about 30 years ago. I am not using the spring and still not able to install the pin. I cannot "push" far enough. The hole is approximately 13/32" from the metal panel that the regulator mounts to. With 1/2" escutcheons, the pin won't go in even without the upholstery. That is why I think the shaft is too short????? I was hoping that someone may have a regulator sitting somewhere and be able to measure the shaft from the hub on the regulator to the end of the shaft. Mine is about 7/8". Thanks for all of the responses.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:03 AM   #9
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Hang on...I will get you some measurments.

Pluck
Old 03-07-2019, 12:37 PM   #10
Steve Plucker
BANNED

OK...I have several measurements from several regulators.

Measurement is from the top of the Window Regulator Mounting Cup Washer for use in your 55-A Tudor Sedan:

A-48105 with split shaft: 1" (measured 4);

A-48105 with hole in shaft: 7/8" (measured 2).

If you are in need of anything else...I have these in the house...Let me know.

It may be that your regulators with the holes in the shaft, are for the 30-31 55-B. I am not sure when the change was made from the "split" shaft to the "hole" in shaft...Anyone?????

ORIGINAL door panel cardboard measures approximatly 1/8 inch.

Pluck

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 03-07-2019 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:33 PM   #11
webengr

Thanks, Steve. Seems like my problem is the thickness of the cardboard. I will try to trim the inside where the escutcheon goes and see if that will work. I appreciate everyone's response.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:26 PM   #12
denniskliesen

I think most new door card is .100" I reupholstered my Tudor earlier this year made all of my panels myself. I had the same problem as you with the shaft length on a new regulator. The shaft on the new had a hole for a pin and my handle would not fit the new regulator. If fact all of my new repo handles did not work as original as the set screw was not located in the correct place to work with the split shaft. I took a dremel and cut a notch near the end of the shaft for the set screw so they could be used. I did not use the springs as my door panels have thick fabric and some padding. The new regulator I bought was as I was told from others the best made by Snyder's. It was a difference of day and night from the Made in Argentina regulator installed by a previous owner.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote