Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-05-2018, 02:15 PM   #1
wingski

Default Please read

I have to share this with you. Last night it was foggy, and I was driving accordingly. As I headed South, I saw the sky blinking a weird blue ahead of me. It looked like a beacon or a lighthouse, but a lot brighter. As I got closer, I realized that a cop had pulled someone over, and it was his flashing light bar that was reflecting off all the water particles in the fog. It was blinding, and the closer I got the more blinding it became. I had a car right behind me, so I couldn’t just stop. The road had deep drainage ditches on both sides and no shoulders so I couldn’t just pull over and cover my eyes. It wouldn’t have helped to close them because the light was even too bright for that and driving with your eyes closed isn’t real smart.

The cop had stopped the guy on the only pull-over on the road, and it was on the right side of a 90 degree left-hand bend. As I tried to slowly go around that corner with those two cars to my right, I completely lost all sense of direction and just flat out was blinded. First, I found out that my car was inches from the ditch and the bank on the left, and I cranked hard to the right. That was when I saw a pickup’s headlights right in front of me and realized I was totally in the on-coming lane. Then, I realized that my car was inches away from going into the drainage ditch on the right side of the road. I straightened out and passed the pickup on my left and drove to my home which was about two miles down the road.

You guys, I have rarely been frightened, but during all this I was horrified with no control at all. And, my wife was sitting right beside me through all of that. It’s my resposibility to get her and us home safely. Last night, I almost didn’t.

I kow that some of you are saying, “Hell, it just sounds like a white-out in a snow storm.” I’ve experienced white-outs and this was far worse, and I hope that none of you ever experience what I did. Now, to top all this off, I was wearing light amber driving glasses when this happened because of all these new cars with their hallogen headlights and because I’m so light sensitive.

I’m only sharing this because I don’t want it to ever happen to any of you. So, if you see flashing blue lights on a very foggy night, please be extra careful as you approach them or just pull over and wait until they’re turned off.

Mike
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:48 PM   #2
1930-Pickup

Default Re: Please read

Last edited by 1930-Pickup; 01-05-2018 at 05:05 PM.
1930-Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:20 PM   #3
mike657894

Drive at the speed you feel safe. The guy who wants to drive fast behind you is paying enough attention to slow down. He probably has a spotty driving record and would like to avoid all interactions with the authorities. If its a lady who wants to drive fast watch out. ha ha.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:33 PM   #4
JDupuis

When seeing anything (or lack of visibility....fog/whiteout) blinding emerg lights; my first instinct is to turn on the 4ways hazard lights. I'm always worried about the cars behind me.

Glad you made it home safely Mike.
Jeff
Old 01-05-2018, 04:56 PM   #5
Jw

were you in the A,? The windshield is flat and so is the back window, light comes through the flat windshield then bounces of the flat back window and reflects onto the front flat windshield, difficult to see at night in the rain and fog, just my experience, jw
Jw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:41 PM   #6
Nathan_1929

I would have hated to be on my motorcycle coming the other direction as you blindly drove into oncoming traffic.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:12 PM   #7
al's28/33

Thank you for sharing, we never know when we have to face a life threatening moment.

When driving our "A"s it could be anytime we are out for a drive.

I'm glad you made it home safe.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 01:39 PM   #8
BILL WILLIAMSON

When NIGHT driving becomes a problem, QUIT DOING IT!!
Bill W.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:39 PM   #9
pat59

see your doc to have your eyes examined. Could be cataracts or something.
Pat
pat59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:04 PM   #10
wingski

I was trying to let everyone know about those flashing blue lights on a police car, and how horribly dangerous they are at night in fog. My vision is close to perfect for distance and no catarcts. The big problem I have is light sensitivity. I can still tell if headlights are round or rectangle at a half-mile away at night. However, boy do I have to use that white fog line when halogen highlights are approaching. That’s why I have to wear polarized amber tinted driving glasses at night. I hope I remember to remove them if I’m ever stopped. I sure don’t want that officer to think that I’m some kind of old drugee.

Just old with real good vision,

Mike
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:07 PM   #11
Pinesdune

Ive had similar experiences with low light conditions, not fun at all, excellent vision, but cant stand "glare" of lights, especially led's, I recieved a pair of clear "blue light" filtering glasses for Christmas so I'm looking forward to trying them with night driving. I fully agree that police/highway/school bus lights have gotten SO bright and "in your face" that its stupid. Glad everyone ended up safely home, dont be affraid to just stop your vehicle (in a safe manner) if the situation presents itself again, the driver behind you can look after themselves.
Pinesdune is offline   Reply With Quote