Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-23-2010, 03:29 PM   #61
ride00007

Default Re: title problem

How come nobody wants to mention the name(s) of these different ladies involved?

So on a scratch built car, nothing original, do you really have to have a bonded title if the components are all new and have never been on an original?
ride00007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:24 PM   #62
grey46

Frank
Lincoln is almost dead center in the state about 30 miles north of Springfield . I went to a cruise in last nite about 50 cars showed up,by the end of the evening I ran into 3 people the state had targeted, one who had just gotten his title after 6 months of bonding procedure and a cost of $2000.00 The other 2 already had 2months into it and each had spent close to $1000.00 with no end in sight . Plus they pull your tags and registration during the bonding process which means during that time the car has to just sit ,for however many months it takes . The new owner will be picking mine up tomorrow ,State 1 me 0 .....
grey46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:34 PM   #63
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank The Plumber View Post
My carrier required a certified auto mechanic to perform a comprehensive safety inspection or no coverage.
If it's a daily driver maybe it should be inspected? If it's a car that will hardly see 1500 miles in a year maybe not.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:42 PM   #64
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey46 View Post
The new owner will be picking mine up tomorrow ,State 1 me 0 .....
I'm sorry to hear that! I hope you can find another already titled in your state.

As it has been said before, it is just a way to get money from the citizens.

Think about this for a moment, how much more of a financial mess would we be in if for example the sale of all tobacco products and booze were stopped tomorrow. How would they make up the taxes?

My father told me that "You can shear a sheep every year, you can only skin him once."
Old 05-24-2010, 09:03 AM   #65
grey46

Ride 00007
I guess no one mentions her name because she is all powerfull and just dont want to take a chance on her knowing ya dont care for her attitude.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:29 AM   #66
ride00007

That's just crazy. I obtained a packet from the state a few months ago. I'd have to dig thru my notes and see who it was that I spoke with in Springfield but that gal was very nice and told me to call her back if I had any questions at all. The packet really didn't come with instructions and was overall pretty confusing. I'm not ready for it yet anyway but she seemed helpful.
ride00007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:11 PM   #67
37fatfender

I personally watched a "State Official" (woman) inspect a car that is being built. The car in question is a 1 800 Street Rod. Not one dam thing original. The owner of the build decided to be up front and have the state involved from the get go. The car set there in nothing but gelcoat, fully assembled ready to be taken apart for paint. Oh, there was one thing original the tilte being used for the car........So the owner stamped numbers on the new repo chassis and tagged the new fiberglass with a plate. The state person looked at the old title matched the numbers.........no problem.???????? What isn't this what this is all about .....All she wanted to see was a receipt for the new LS1. I was amazed at that's all there was. I am not sure if she ever realized that the chassis and body were even reproduction. She didn't seem to know what she was looking at from the questions she was asking. She even thougth the car was in pretty good shape for its age...... I was in fact there and witnessed this........We all just scatched our heads in wonder. We are waiting for the next shoe to drop.........
37fatfender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:28 PM   #68
Chris Haynes

I had a friend who had to take his full custom '50 Merc in to the CHP for number verification. Radical car. Chopped Carson top. Chevy crate motor. Etc. Etc, Etc. The female CHP officer was giving him grief saying that was not a 1950 Merc. Of course she was in her 20's and had probably never seen a 1950 Merc. The CHP station commander happened to walk by, admired the car and said "That a beautiful '50 Merc". She shut up and verified his number.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?

Last edited by Chris Haynes; 05-27-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:46 PM   #69
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
Does anyone know or have any stories to tell about how hard it is to register a Mod A in Pa.? It is not much of a problem in NJ, but they rarely want verification of serial numbers. However, my experience in Pa is that they verify the numbers. And my very limited experience with Mod A fords shows me that more often than not, the S.Ns are corroded away as mentioned by another poster. If this is the case, What do I do?
Terry NJ (pa)
I don't think it's too bad to register an actual antique A in PA-here's the appropriate application and the requirements don't look too bad.
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/mv_forms/mv-11.pdf

I have a '31 A that I bought with a PA title that had been a transfer from an Ohio tilte. I bought it at Carlisle and it could only be registered there as a regular car because that's all the title service could do. Once I got it home, I had to re-register it as a streetod because the windshield had been chopped below 9" in height.

I took the title I had, receipts, photos,etc to my State Representative (you MUST do this!) who ran it through PennDot for me. In the end, PA vacated my original title and issued me a new title and a new VIN plate as well as streetrod tags. So now, my title matches my VIN tag and there are no original Henry #'s on the car that are visible. I know this is an antique site-just my experience with PennDot.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:28 AM   #70
Terry, NJ

Thanks for this!
Regards, Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:55 AM   #71
grey46

Heres an interesting update .Just had a friend call and tell me he bought a Harley a couple months ago with a clear current Louisianna title . Illinois told him that is a flood ,hurricain state and he will need to provide proof that the bike was never involved in a flood ,if he cant provide proof to them he will have to reapply (pay all fees again) and will be issued a FLOOD Vehical title ,which as you know is just as bad as a slavage title . Which will greatly reduce the value of the bike . So I guess we can add that to the list of things Illinois is now doing ..
Old 05-27-2010, 12:26 PM   #72
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey46 View Post
Heres an interesting update .Just had a friend call and tell me he bought a Harley a couple months ago with a clear current Louisianna title . Illinois told him that is a flood ,hurricain state and he will need to provide proof that the bike was never involved in a flood ,if he cant provide proof to them he will have to reapply (pay all fees again) and will be issued a FLOOD Vehical title ,which as you know is just as bad as a slavage title . Which will greatly reduce the value of the bike . So I guess we can add that to the list of things Illinois is now doing ..
Not good! so, in Illinois you are guilty until you can prove otherwise. Sounds like someone needs to throw the bums out of office.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:44 PM   #73
Rowdy
BANNED

Nebraska is not that greedy yet. Right now they are persuing lost sales tax when a car is bought and then quickly resold and the guy in the middle did not pay the sales tax for the purchase, which reminds me I need to head top the courthouse soon to pay the sales tax on the delivery now that I have a title. I do not want to be the one they make an example out of with a $1000 fine plus the actual tax and interest. Rod
Old 05-27-2010, 04:07 PM   #74
Ford46

It looks like the original intent may have been good, BUT somewhere along the line it became a nightmare. Which is typical when the government gets involved. We have just been reading an interesting Civics lesson. The problem is MOST people don't care! They buy new cars, from a dealer (who we all know are honest and would never lie) so they never have a problem. The sad part is that this is going to spread, if one state won't accept another state's title them that state won't accept theirs!
Seriously, this is going to snowball, until all them "Clunkers" we own are off the road! Of course a new Toyota that has acceleration problems is okay.

It's a sad state of affairs we find ourselves. LouB.
Ford46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:54 PM   #75
Franchise_24

Cool Re: title problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Smart DMV, the engine was produced in November 1930.

As a matter of fact, Engine #4140858 was made on Nov 17, 1930
I know this is an old thread, but how did you find that information? Is it public somewhere where we can look up info about our cars?

Thanks,
Neal
Franchise_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:32 PM   #76
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise_24 View Post
I know this is an old thread, but how did you find that information? Is it public somewhere where we can look up info about our cars?

Thanks,
Neal

Using Steve Pluckers information, Click HERE, Bob Johnson created a little program HERE.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:06 AM   #77
Franchise_24

Thumbs up Re: title problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Using Steve Pluckers information, Click HERE, Bob Johnson created a little program HERE.
Thanks for the info. I have them both bookmarked now
Franchise_24 is offline   Reply With Quote