Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
Rustyspokes

Default Change out my 34 - 4 dr ; Rear Spring

I will be changing out my 34 4 dr ; Rear Spring, is this a very big job ? what special tools will I need , also what year Early Ford will bolt in place of the original spring, thanks guys !
Rustyspokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
Andy

Default Re: Change out my 34 - 4 dr ; Rear Spring

Ford closely matched the springs to the specific body styles. You would be better off keeping the original spring. The spring is under tension even when the car is jacked up. I jack up the rear of the car and put stands under the frame. You can now put jacks under the shackles and come up on them untill a spot is found to have no load on the shackles. You can now remove the shackle links and remove the spring.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:37 PM   #3
jerry grayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyspokes View Post
I will be changing out my 34 4 dr ; Rear Spring, is this a very big job ? what special tools will I need , also what year Early Ford will bolt in place of the original spring, thanks guys !
1933 is the only year spring that will interchange. Each body style generaly has different spring arrangement, that is, different number and arrangement of leaves in the spring. Why do you need to change the spring?
jerry grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
Fe26

Why do you need to change the spring? x2
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
Rustyspokes

Guys ... the Spring seems to be weak and or missing some leaves, I put new rubber bumpers on the frame just above the axle and had to cut them down to give some clearance but it still bumps, I think the previous owner wanted a lower look, as the front spring has been changed out to a single thick one leaf spring, I have the original front spring and may change it out as well, as the left side wheel hits the steering arm from the steering box arm when I turn sharp to the left , thanks for any advice .. R..
Rustyspokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:52 AM   #6
Fe26

It sounds like someones been fooling around with the ride height. I'm not a fan of monosprings, and it is quite common to take leaves out of springs to soften the ride.

You will need to borrow a Spring Spreader to effectively and safely remove the spring. This can be a scary operation as there is a lot of energy stored in the spring, but once the tension is off the shackles it is easier to remove them.

Once the spring is out count the number of leaves, I'm not sure how many your year had but could be around 11 or 12. A Springmaker could make new leaves (or a whole new spring) and reset the curve. Also it might be a good idea to check the shockies while the spring is out.
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote