Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-06-2012, 01:48 PM   #1
Ross/Kzoo

Default Car stolen @ Henry Ford Museum?

Has anyone heard this? Maybe this is old news.

Bummer. Posting here for awareness and future reference:

A trip to the Henry Ford museum proved costly for a man visiting from California.

According to the Dearborn Police Department, the man's trailered 1930 classic Ford Model A convertible was stolen from the parking lot of the museum sometime between 9 a.m. and 5:55 p.m. June 26.

Also stolen was the victim's F-250 Ford pickup with an enclosed Inner Carrier Road Runner Trailer containing the Model A.

The F-250 is white over gold with a license plate of 6P95642. There is a NASCAR license plate rim/small NASCAR sticker in the rear window.

The truck is hauling a white, two-axle 2007 Inner Carrier Road Runner with California plate number 4JT5217. The trailer has a small Ford racing sticker on the rear door.

The 1930 Ford Model A is yellow with black/chrome fenders and a brown convertible top with a California plate 670RHG and a VIN (vehicle identification number) of A2970284.
Anyone with information on the stolen vehicles or suspects, can call the HEAT (Help Eliminate Auto Thefts) tip line at (800) 242-HEAT (4328) or at www.1800242HEAT.com.
There is up to a $1,000 reward offered from the owner of the stolen Model A.

http://forums.performanceyears.com/f...d.php?t=702918
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:04 PM   #2
peters180a/170b

Default Re: Car stolen @ Henry Ford Museum?

I just heard of this yesterday [Thursday] //. That really sucks... just put another lg. lock and thick chain on my trailer....
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:15 PM   #3
CarlG

Lock and chain on trailer didn't do much good with this one -- They took truck, traller, and contents all as a neat, complete package!
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
gz

This was posted on the MAFCA site last week. A similar theft happened during Old Car Festival two or three years ago when a truck attached to an enclosed trailer with a Model T (I think) inside were stolen from the Greenfield Inn parking lot which is just down the street from the Museum.
The Museum always used to have a lot of security cars driving around the parking lots in the past, maybe they don't anymore?
gz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:26 PM   #5
CarlG

I think I saw it also on the MARC & AACA sites as well.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #6
Fordors

Old timer that ran an auto parts store told me years ago "Locks are made for honest people". If they want it, they'll get it.
Fordors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #7
FL&WVMIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gz View Post
This was posted on the MAFCA site last week. A similar theft happened during Old Car Festival two or three years ago when a truck attached to an enclosed trailer with a Model T (I think) inside were stolen from the Greenfield Inn parking lot which is just down the street from the Museum.
The Museum always used to have a lot of security cars driving around the parking lots in the past, maybe they don't anymore?
gz .......................
Since they took truck, trailer and all, they might have waved to the Security, on the way out. That would be much less suspicous, than unhooking a trailer and towing it out.
Sure hope they catch the bast***s !
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #8
peters180a/170b

#1 ,you have not seen my chain . #2 ,you have not seen my lock and #3 it would take them longer to undue and hopefully someone in that time sees it. The more time it looks to take stealing it the less they will deal with it. They want to hit and run....
Old 07-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #9
harleyjj

here is the link to the article in the Detroit News today. I think their editor needs a lesson in old cars! http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE
harleyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #10
gz

Chances are they were really just after the truck and trailer and were probably hoping the inside of the trailer was full of motorcycles, atvs, gardening equipment or anything but a Model A roadster. About a year ago, local collector here in Ann Arbor had his business parking lot broken into (it has a chain link fence surrounding it) and they took his 30+ foot three-axle enclosed trailer that had his two Model Ts stored in it. He saw it missing when he got to work in the morning. Of course, he reported it and later that night he got a call from the police that the two Model Ts were left in an abandon gas station parking lot between Dearborn and Detroit. Other than one having some fender damage the cars were fine. The trailer was never recovered. There is a big demand for enclosed trailers and, of course, modern vehicles on the "black market" but it's got to be pretty hard to sell an old car, especially if you don't know anything about them.
gz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #11
Brian T

Seems that a LowJack maybe in order for some that have early vehicles that do not have coded ignition keys, I know they can be a PITA if you should lose them, but can save some grief, it will show up theres to much to hide.
Brian T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:27 AM   #12
Bruce Adams

The past two or three instances of this found the antique cars and trailers abandoned. Seems the hauling trucks were the sought after prize.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:18 AM   #13
peters180a/170b

Jeff . sometimes it is correct NOT to have what's inside...But then again i have 4 lg.-A.A.C.A. Club stickers on my trailer[Antique Automobile Car Club] and National Rifle Association stickers too! Which means i might be carrying a gun???? Still waiting for MARC Trailer stickers.... If stolen the trailer becomes a rolling BILL BOARD and not hard to spot... That's the way i see it. So if they want something bad enough they are going to get it .More locks ,chains, alarms will slow them down That's all you can pray for...AND someone looking out for ya...
Old 07-07-2012, 10:42 AM   #14
FL&WVMIKE

The people who make the biggest mistake of advertising what is inside their trailer, are Harley-Davidson owners. Thieves will go after those trailers, as Harleys are easy to break down and have their parts sold.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #15
MrTube

You mean like how a lot of kids put stickers all over their cars advertising what aftermarket equipment they are using (which is more often a lie than not)?

Years ago I had a $4000 stereo installed in my truck and I did everything I could to hide it. You couldn't see anything looking in the windows, in fact you really couldn't see anything even sitting in the truck. I also always turned it down when I was in small neighborhoods or anywhere someone would notice it, this was both out of consideration as well as being cautious. I had no security system and my locks didn't work half the time yet I never had a problem.

I guess the point was I installed the audio system for my enjoyment, not bragging rights.
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #16
harleyjj

They found the car today!

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/...um-parking-lot
harleyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #17
Ron Lowe

Two years ago I was at the Henry Ford for the old car festival. We stayed at a very nice motel near it and two cars were stolen from our parking lot. One was a SUV parked next to my Jeep and the other was a truck with a trailer. After I returned home I bought a Club (lock for the steering wheel) and I've never parked without the Club since then. That includes in my garage. Ron
Ron Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #18
Topdownfun

I was at the Henry Ford museum and Greenfield Village on Thursday of that week. Didn't notice any security vehicles around. Plenty of "hot" cars though, it was about 100 degrees...
TM
Topdownfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #19
mkmskm

We had a club member a little over a year ago have his truck and enclosed trailer stolen from his driveway. He is a retired police officer and his car was fortunately in the garage and not in the trailer. As with this A that was stolen and recovered, they don't want the car in it, they want the truck and trailer to haul other stolen items. He was fortunate to have recovered the truck and trailer with minimal damage to just the truck.
mkmskm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:49 PM   #20
modeleh

There was a story a few years ago about an american family vacationing in Mexico. I believe they had quads or dirt bikes in their enclosed trailer, but they had so many Nascar decals all over their rig, the banditos mistook them for a race car team and hijacked their truck and trailer. Moral of the story, keep your vehicles free from extra advertising decals and brand names and try to fly under the radar without a flashy vehicle. Might not work in all cases, but theives are a little like crows and seem to be more interested in shiny stuff.
modeleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #21
[email protected]

Smile Re: Car stolen @ Henry Ford Museum?

Here is the latest !!! Model A Found OK.... Truck & trailer still missing as predicted in this forum.. Sad for the owner and Detroit.

Detroit—Police have recovered the 1930 Classic FordModel A convertible and its transport trailer today on the city's east side.
The car was recovered undamaged, said Dearborn Police Lt. Wayne Seccombe.
"It was perfectly fine," said Seccombe. "What do you do with something like that? You can't go for a ride in it."
The car was discovered in an area near Mt. Elliott and Gratiot, said Seccombe.
The pickup truck hauling the car and trailer has not been found.
No arrests have been reported in the case of the vintage vehicle that went missing June 26 from the parking lot of the Henry Ford Museum between 9 a.m. and 5:55 p.m. The car belongs to a California man.
A $1,000 reward had been offered from the owner for information leading to its return.
[email protected]

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz20PylfHyF
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:40 AM   #22
700rpm

"What do you do with something like that? You can't go for a ride in it." Well, lieutenant, that ain't exactly true.

Glad the owner got his car and trailer back.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #23
Clem Clement

A couple years back some perps stole trailers from behind the local Kena Temple. One had a T in it. Another was full of the local police's personal bikes as they use Kena's huge parking lot for motocycle safety training. This got lots of attention. The perps tried to eBay the trailers and the cops grabbed them. The T had minor fender damage.
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:35 AM   #24
heneste

I agree that the thieves are more often looking for the trucks. The vintage Fords are usually too easily recognizable for them to try and sell off successfully.
The trucks are usually taken to either sell off or to be used to commit other thefts.
It's still a big pain in the butt for the owner to have to go through the insurance and the thieves usually don't suffer that much (even if they get caught and show up in court)
heneste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:11 PM   #25
Chris Haynes

Have a professional sign painter put graphics on your trailer for "Three Finger Louie's Hazardous Waste Disposal", or something equally disgusting.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #26
JoeWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
Have a professional sign painter put graphics on your trailer for "Three Finger Louie's Hazardous Waste Disposal", or something equally disgusting.
Might work even better if it was "Three-Eyed Louie" or "Six Finger Louie".

Joe
JoeWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:13 PM   #27
trulyvintage

Lightbulb The trailer was recovered ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Here is the latest !!! Model A Found OK.... Truck & trailer still missing as predicted in this forum.. Sad for the owner and Detroit.

Detroit—Police have recovered the 1930 Classic FordModel A convertible and its transport trailer today on the city's east side.

[email protected]

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz20PylfHyF

The trailer was recovered .....

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote