Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-05-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
sp1ke

Default How to promote EARLY FORD V/8 INTEREST

Well after seeing the poll of which I am apart in the 70-80 catagory and seing that the nexted catagory 80-90 is nill what can we do to improve interest in our so called beloved flatheads? I really don't have an answer myself. I can only tell you what I am doing and if any of you want to get in on this then lets do it. I have what might be one of the last 50"s ever built. It is a 1950 ford bus.cpe built on Wed. Oct.25,1950 and was the 360 car built that day. I am planning on starting late next spring and driving it from Florida to Califorina and up to Oregon and back to the east coast. My son will then get the the ginen to him he is 49 yrs of age and I believe when he is done with it he will donate it the the museum in auburn. I am open to any Ideas as far as drawing interest to out cause or causes.let me know and Have a wounderful day.

Sp1ke
Old 04-05-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: How to promote EARLY FORD V/8 INTEREST

One thing that might help would be having the EFV8C/A embrace the modified and hot rod type early ford flathead powered cars a lot more then they do now. Yeah, I know they allow a class for modified FH powered V8's but I don't think they really welcome the FH powered hot rods. I know a lot of the younger folks who have these modified or hot rod fords feel totally unwelcome in the club or at the EFV8C/A national shows. I think by doing something for these guys would help promote the younger guys to become more interested in our Ford V8's and may even get them more interested in the old originals as well. Just my thoughts on this.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:47 PM   #3
Vic Piano

That sounds like a nice trip and plan for your car. Flatheads like Model A's and T's before them, have always had a large following of enthusiast however, our numbers are dwindling and unfortunately most of the organizations dedicated to these cars and trucks are not actively trying to promote continued interest on the part of younger generations. The last U.S. production Flathead V8’s were built 58 years ago, when I was four years old. My dad had several Flatheads that I vaguely remember, a ’47 Ford Convertible and a ’49 Merc Convertible. My first car (bought when I was 16) was a ’48 Ford TuDor Sedan. The Ford wasn’t my first choice. I couldn’t afford the ’62 Plymouth Convertible I really wanted so I bought the Ford and I’ve been hooked on Flatheads ever since. When my son was a teenager I tried to get him interested (in what he called my old cars) to no avail. His idea of a cool ride is a BMW or any number of rice rockets or other imports sold today.

I don’t know what will happen, to the cars and trucks we enjoy, in the future so I’m taking a selfish attitude where mine are concerned. I plan to drive and enjoy them for as long as I can. Don’t get me wrong, as I would relish an opportunity to introduce the joys, etc. of owning, working on and driving Flathead V8’s to the younger generation, all they have to do is ask.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
GreenMonster48

I was just glancing throught the thread about the Average Age of the Ford Barner. It was good to see that I wasn't the only one in my 30's on here. Should speak to the preservation, at least somewhat, of the hobby for a little longer.
GreenMonster48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
Django

I agree, acceptance of the early hot rods will go a long way. At least there is a chance of the growth in the membership. I personally don't know anyone younger than my age (40) who would be interested in all original cars. My take on it, is that is something that I can see the younger generation getting older and appreciating more. But to just jump in, the stockers aren't likely to get them to make the plunge.

I joined the EFV8 club because I love the '32-48 Fords, but I am a hot rodder. I love the stockers too. But the modified cars at our house will always outnumber the stock cars. For our fleet though, they generally "look" mostly stock aside from the ride height. They all have stock interiors. The motors may or may not be flatheads depending on the car, and admittedly, the 3 window is chopped. But basically they still look like old Fords. So I don't expect too much grief from the membership vs the reaction if it was rolling on 20" billet wheels, tweed and leather interior, and running an LS motor. The funny thing is, one of my best friends always calls me an enigma because I want my hot rods to look mostly stock.

I'm not worried though. I joined to interact with the older members when possible. It struck me this past summer that at the cruise nights, I was hanging out with guys with 20-30 years on me alot of the time. I try to soak in as much as I can.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:34 PM   #6
V8 Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
One thing that might help would be having the EFV8C/A embrace the modified and hot rod type early ford flathead powered cars a lot more then they do now. Yeah, I know they allow a class for modified FH powered V8's but I don't think they really welcome the FH powered hot rods. I know a lot of the younger folks who have these modified or hot rod fords feel totally unwelcome in the club or at the EFV8C/A national shows. I think by doing something for these guys would help promote the younger guys to become more interested in our Ford V8's and may even get them more interested in the old originals as well. Just my thoughts on this.
I agree about not really being welcome with a flathead hot rod. My first EFV8 event was Auburn in '09, and will try and make Auburn this year, again in my '32, to view the beautiful old Fords, and visit the Foundation museum again. I joined a few years ago, but not sure why, or how long I'll stay a member, as all mine are modified.
One bright spot during the weekend in '09. I was in a local restaurant, and an older EFV8 gentleman, who must of seen me park the '32 outside, came up to our table and gave me one heck of a compliment on the hot rod. Kinda' made up for some the "weird" looks I got all weekend! One notable exception was Charlie ny and his wife, who made sure my friend and I got Ford Barn hats!
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:11 PM   #7
Lawrie

We are in New Zealand with our flathead rail from Australia,when parked in the pits amongst all the other front engined dragsters,all with blown OHV motors,guese where the crowd was,around our blown flathead.
There was heaps more intrest in it than the others.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:47 PM   #8
cvstl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Django View Post
I agree, acceptance of the early hot rods will go a long way. At least there is a chance of the growth in the membership. I personally don't know anyone younger than my age (40) who would be interested in all original cars. My take on it, is that is something that I can see the younger generation getting older and appreciating more. But to just jump in, the stockers aren't likely to get them to make the plunge.

I joined the EFV8 club because I love the '32-48 Fords, but I am a hot rodder. I love the stockers too. But the modified cars at our house will always outnumber the stock cars. For our fleet though, they generally "look" mostly stock aside from the ride height. They all have stock interiors. The motors may or may not be flatheads depending on the car, and admittedly, the 3 window is chopped. But basically they still look like old Fords. So I don't expect too much grief from the membership vs the reaction if it was rolling on 20" billet wheels, tweed and leather interior, and running an LS motor. The funny thing is, one of my best friends always calls me an enigma because I want my hot rods to look mostly stock.

I'm not worried though. I joined to interact with the older members when possible. It struck me this past summer that at the cruise nights, I was hanging out with guys with 20-30 years on me alot of the time. I try to soak in as much as I can.
Same here, with minor exceptions: I'm 6 yrs older not in the EFV8 club, and My '36 - 3 window is a rusty truck, not a sweet chopped coupe.
cvstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:13 PM   #9
danliveshere

This is a real interesting thread as it's something I've been aware of when I bought my roadster 25 years ago at age 19. Even then all my friends thought I was nuts buying something sooooo old.... it was then 51 years old. While they had the latest and greatest speed machines. Funny thing is they've all sold their cars and still have the latest thing out and I've still got the roadster. The world is generally becoming a throwaway society. Buy it, drive it , get rid of it.... and so on.All the folks I knew with fords were my dads age. Very few of their families share the passion. Will that mean in another 50 years time all our fords will only be seen in museums, a relic of the 20th century?? On one hand I see the efv8 view to preserve and promote authentic restorations. How many hotrods are ever taken back to concourse?? Not many. How many perfect cars have been rodded?? Somewhere in the middle is the guy who wants his old ford the way he likes it. As far as promoting the cars and creating interest in the early ford v8s, they do it all by themselves. We as owners can only share our passion with others and if we pass it on then we have done our job promoting. If you were a new guy just getting started, how do you want to be made welcome at events? See it's all the little things we do along the way that makes the difference to pass on the torch.That's why the ford barn is such an invaluable service to us all, it's vital to our hobby. All I know is I hope to be still driving my 35's when I'm at the "mature end" of the age groups.
danliveshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:15 PM   #10
nathanmac

There are a lot of ways to look at this - I'm 32 and I've thought about it a lot in the past. You just need to ask yourself why you enjoy early V8's and most of you will probably say it's linked back to your youth in some way or other. Possibly cheap old Fords were all you could afford way back, and you just did what you had to in order to keep a set of wheels underneath you.

If you translate that to today, most of my friends are into 60's-80's cars that they've grown up with because they are cheap to find, fix and run. By comparison, it's hard to find a cheap EFV8, and parts are near impossible to come by. You really need to have grown up with them or be a bit obsessed to get into anything older nowadays. There will always be those that collect antiques etc., for their novelty value or beauty, and it is the same for cars, so they aren't going to disappear entirely.

And while I will restore cars, I don't have so much of a problem with modified cars either. Anyway, where do you draw the line - a set of tube shocks on the back of your car to help stability and safety is a great thing - a modern more fuel efficient motor might be someone else's idea of having the best of both worlds. Each to their own.

What I will say is don't be afraid to pass on time and expertise - I'm lucky my Dad was a mechanic in the 50's and worked on these cars day in day out, so was able to show me how to fix a lot of things - not just uinbolt and replace them. Don't let those skills be lost to future generations. That always has to be balanced by the fact we live in a commercial world of course, but it would be a crime to lose practical know-how. Unfortunately my dad died a few years back, and i'd give anything to be able to have him helping me with our pickup, but that's just not the way it's going to be.

So don't buy your kids or grandkids a Nintendo or pointless junk - get them a mini tool set and get them enthusiastic about getting their hands dirty. My 4 year old son has so far helped me build a deck out the back of the house, fences, playground toys, and we've restored a Morris Minor for my wife. Now he's going to learn the fine art of holding the torch in the garage and learning the difference betweena 1/2" and 12mm spanner under a 41 pickup. We'll work our way up to shrinking axle eyes and removing rear springs from early ford diffs.
nathanmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:48 PM   #11
Keystone 34 3w

The way I see it is if the interest in early Fords drop, thats not terrible because that means they become easier to buy. If the interest goes up, they become too difficult to buy ,but are good investment to those that have them. I try to do my share in showing Early Fords to the youth and even offer them to drive my 34s. I am confident that these cars will always be sought after.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 017.jpg (56.0 KB, 42 views)
Keystone 34 3w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:01 AM   #12
Fairlane500

So by the time I am 50 I should be able tompick up a original 32 v8 roadster for say $600 bucks???? If so I'll wait...
Old 04-06-2011, 05:42 AM   #13
SUHRsc

I'm 29 years old and just joined the Early V8 club this year.... I have been treated very nicely when talking with folks at Hershey and encouraged to join even after mentioning that I don't have a "stock" car. I've found myself very much interested in these cars as they would have existed a few years after they were made. How people from the later 30's or 40's would have modified their '32 V8 or '34 or '35 or whatever...
I try very hard to follow a line of doing things the way they would have been done at a certain time and I wish that that aspect was promoted a bit more. I have a '35 coupe... I plan to build it as it would have existed around WWII... some small and some large modifications but all fitting into the rhelm of what someone could have done in that year. So to me it seems fitting that my car (if it ever gets done) could be accepted and parked right next to a perfect restored 1946 Ford... In reality if you set your time machine back to whatever year... you would not have seen only 100% perfectly original untouched cars.

I believe in the antique motorcycle world they have a judged class called "period modified" where they are given a window of time from when the vehicle was made and allowed to use parts and techniques available in that window to modifiy their motorcycle... I think they allow 5 years but for old Fords a 10 year or even 15 year window seems more fitting... this may encourage people to try to really use old parts and not put a modern engine or different wheels or radial tires, etc on their car.

Don't get me wrong... I would love to build or find one that is indeed 100% original just to see what it was like to drive one new off the lot... but for now... this is where my path has led me...

Zach
77-6050B, 81AS - 81SB - 99AS - 99SB 19AS cylinder heads
SUHRsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:43 AM   #14
Cecil/WV

Last Monday eve, I drove my '50 Ford to meet a friend and then we traveled in his Dodge mini-van to a planned destination. He extolled the virtues of his Dodge for a while and then he said "but it won't last near as long as your old Ford".
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:46 AM   #15
chuck stevens

I think the best way to spark the younger guys interest is, drive you old ford every chance you get. You will get to talk to them and answer all those questions about overheating, not starting.....(old wife's tales).
There are still some good deals out there. Fordors and pick-ups are less expensive and just as much fun to drive.
Like Ol'Ron says "keep em running", Chuck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new flowers 007.jpg (70.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 020.jpg (82.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0892.jpg (91.8 KB, 33 views)
chuck stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:39 AM   #16
Vic Piano

Hi Chuck, were those photos from last years "Barner's" New England Tour? Vic
Old 04-06-2011, 09:55 AM   #17
Pat/Ohio

Interesting thread! I have been a member of the EFV8 Club for around 12 years. Before that, it was mainly street rods that I was interested in. I don't know exactly how it happened that my interests broadened to a point that I now own stock and modified old Fords, but I am thinking that it may have been while attending street rod meets that I saw some mostly restored or original cars and I enjoyed them. I guess my point would be that it wouldn't be all bad if we had a few "modified" V8's displayed at the EFV8 club meets. If that brings a few of the younger folks in to look at and enjoy them...who knows, by being exposed to the restored/original V8s they too might broaden their interests.

Perhaps it's regional, but I am thinking the modified cars are accepted more on the West Coast. I drove my '32 Sedan (street rod) to the Western Meet last October in St. George, UT. 4,500 miles total round trip. I found there were several other modified cars displayed. I enjoyed them all. I believe there may have been some "orange" under the hoods of some...shhhh!

Speaking of membership....the EFV8 Club actually had their membership increase last year. Great news!

Enjoy your cars! Pat
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:26 AM   #18
jim1932

I think it is a couple of things. First the newer cars are not very easy to work on. this means kids don't develop mechanical skills helping Dad do a tune up or Brake job the way I did , for example. My first car I could do all kinds of things to. Headers, new carb etc. My daughter's car goes crazy if the damn gas cap isn't on tight. If you aren't getting them at 8-18 you won't get them.

I also think in general, as the number of cars continues to decline, so will the population of these web sites. The 70 year olds on here are passionate about the cars they wanted as kids. My generation is more passionate about muscle cars, the next will be going crazy for restored celica and honda drift cars maybe. Kinda like why aren't we all into model T cars?
jim1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:53 AM   #19
okiedokie

In my opinion, chucks stevens hit the nail on the head. Do what Ryan is doing today. Drive that early V8, let folks see that they can be driven other than in parades and shows.
okiedokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:28 PM   #20
Cecil/WV

I was talking to a Carquest delivery/sales person on Monday and he was looking at my '50 Ford. When I told him I had driven it to Batavia, NY, Windsor, Ct., Hiawasee, Ga., Dearborn, Mi., Auburn, In., Charlotte, NC., and St George. Ut., he asked me if it made me nervous and I asked him if he would be nervous if he was driving it and it was the year of 1950. I then asked him whats the difference if the mechanicals are good.

Last edited by Cecil/WV; 04-06-2011 at 12:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-06-2011, 12:31 PM   #21
Barry B./ Ma.

Early V-8 Fords have turned into high priced relics, that's why I can't afford them. Through the years I've owned at least 6 flathead Fords or Mercurys and now wouldn't be able to afford to buy one back, that's why I went to Model A's. Most kids today treat cars like we treat refrigerators so don't expect them to be sinking their hard earned $ into a vintage Ford. Many more technical distractions are available.

P.S. Chuck, I love your 39 Std. tudor
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:36 PM   #22
Django

I'm in a similar boat to Zach on my cabriolet, as a pre-war custom. That's a good idea on the X year window for modifications.

We're taking the stock AND the modified '36s to the Auburn show. The coupes we will just tool around in. Since it's the anniversary, we're trying to take all that are practical. Drive the 5 window and the 4 door, but trailer the cabriolet since we will be cutting it so close. We'll have to find an additional driver for the 3 window, but damn that will be alot of gas for the whole trip! It will be my cousin's and my first time as members, so we'll see how we are received.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #23
TonyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystone 34 3w View Post
The way I see it is if the interest in early Fords drop, thats not terrible because that means they become easier to buy. If the interest goes up, they become too difficult to buy ,but are good investment to those that have them. I try to do my share in showing Early Fords to the youth and even offer them to drive my 34s. I am confident that these cars will always be sought after.
I agree, early Ford V-8s will always be poplular and if the interest in them is down, then the early V-8 cars will be less expensive. The problem addressed by the thread, the dearth of young people becoming enthusiasts, is even worse for Model A guys. There is not too much interest in bone stock Model A cars by the younger crowd (I love them) and many of those who own them are older than Jack Benny. Some Model A guys have two, three and even four Model A cars. When these older enthusiasts start dying, there will be a glut of Model A cars out there for sale. They are pretty inexpensive now.

TM
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:17 AM   #24
chuck stevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry B./ Ma. View Post
Early V-8 Fords have turned into high priced relics, that's why I can't afford them. Through the years I've owned at least 6 flathead Fords or Mercurys and now wouldn't be able to afford to buy one back, that's why I went to Model A's. Most kids today treat cars like we treat refrigerators so don't expect them to be sinking their hard earned $ into a vintage Ford. Many more technical distractions are available.

P.S. Chuck, I love your 39 Std. tudor

Thanks Barry, I have had that one since I was in my 20's. It's bone stock, restored in the 80's and needs it again, but not by me! We drive it every chance we get.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:48 AM   #25
chuck stevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
Hi Chuck, were those photos from last years "Barner's" New England Tour? Vic

Yes Vic, Chuck l.'s 41 pick-em up, my 47, and John's 35. I can't tell you how much fun we had, the best part no one got mad. We were together for three days and no problems, just a lot of laughs. Here's some more pic's.
I hope we get a smoky mountain tour together this fall, the memories last for ever.
That rusty piece of junk is a Chevrolet, a very ambitious restoration project. O yea I droped the radiator off yesterday for a cleaning, thanks Chuck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 008.jpg (84.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (93.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (93.9 KB, 16 views)
Old 04-07-2011, 06:59 AM   #26
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck stevens View Post
Yes Vic, Chuck l.'s 41 pick-em up, my 47, and John's 35. I can't tell you how much fun we had, the best part no one got mad. We were together for three days and no problems, just a lot of laughs. Here's some more pic's.
I hope we get a smoky mountain tour together this fall, the memories last for ever.
That rusty piece of junk is a Chevrolet, a very ambitious restoration project. O yea I droped the radiator off yesterday for a cleaning, thanks Chuck.
Hi Chuck, I hope that radiator works for you. I also would like to see a Smoky Mountain Tour come together. I'm planning on driving our '39 CS up to Dawsonville, GA in October for the Moonshine Festival, that would make an excellent "Barner's" tour and it's located at the end of the Smoky Mountains, lots of winding roads and colorful scenery, not to mention a super car show. Vic
Old 04-07-2011, 10:14 AM   #27
John Kennedy

Best way to promote interest? DRIVE EM!
Old 04-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #28
John Kennedy

This headline just in from MSNBC...

Babies born with flat heads on the rise in Texas
Old 04-07-2011, 03:32 PM   #29
WHITEY

Im 35, and know how fortunate I was to grow up with a grandfather who was into Ts, As, and EFV8s. Basicially he let ride the old 8n while he worked, wrench on the mowers, ride dirt bikes, the kids had a model a beater for the fields .I always looked at old fords as just something else that ran, and we got to take them out, to the fair, icecream,etc and have fun with them. Yes, some cars were not driven much, due to being rarer than others and kept seperate, but most were driven . Being exposed to the Fords defininltely taught me the "You" could fix your own stuff. Also taught me at an early age what maintaince was.

If your asking how to keep your grandkids interested in Ts, As, and EFV8s, for life... all I can say is get them interested in things that run, (yes...on gasoline). Build a vintage go-kart or minibike project with them while on summer vacation.Get them some good tools, Do your oil changes and maintaince in the same garages with the Ts, As, and EFV8,s it will have a huge impact on them, and hopefully spark a lasting interest.
WHITEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:52 PM   #30
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennedy View Post
Best way to promote interest? DRIVE EM!
Driving them always seems to draw attention to the cars. The faces pushed up against the glass as they pass by, or get passed by! Half the time it's adults cranking their necks and pointing too.

Will that get them into flatheads engines? I think you have to be interested in history and machines to really want to drive a flathead. Do they have classes that take field trips anymore? I don't know. Do they even teach history in school any more
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:32 PM   #31
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck stevens View Post
Chuck, that was a fun filled tour through VT and NH last summer. I really enjoyed that one. Put about six hundred miles on the '35 and was able to keep up with the bigger boys thanks to those 750x16's on the back. They did keep the revs down some on that little 221
I'm doing some homework now on putting a Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive/Smokey Mt. Tour together for this October. I have a huge pile of literature accumulated so far. Will sort through all of that and let you and others know what I come up with.

A few more NE tour pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vermont Trip '10 Mt Washington, NH (4).jpg (51.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Barners on Mt Washington.jpg (27.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Vermont Trip '10 Henry Bridge (5).jpg (80.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Vermont Trip '10 (2).JPG (155.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Vermont Trip '10 @ Ol Rons.JPG (216.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Vermont Trip '10 Henry Bridge (2).jpg (90.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Vermont Trip '10 Chuck Vapor Locked (2).JPG (177.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Vermont Trip '10 @ Ol Rons (3).JPG (154.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Vermont Trip '10 Battle of Bennington Monument.jpg (59.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Vermont Trip '10 Bennington Monument.JPG (208.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Vermont Trip '10 Going to Cabot.jpg (78.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Vermont Trip '10 @ Ol Rons (2).jpg (71.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Vermont Trip '10 Henry Bridge (8).jpg (69.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Vermont Trip '10 Chuck Vapor Locked.JPG (140.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Vermont Trip '10 Glass artist at work.JPG (149.8 KB, 21 views)

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
Old 04-08-2011, 08:59 PM   #32
sp1ke

So I see that most of you think driving them is the answer so I guess late next spring and summer I will see alot of you on the road as I make my way west then nort and back east again. Be sure to wave or say HI o"kay.

sp1ke
Old 04-11-2011, 06:16 AM   #33
chuck stevens

John,
If you want help with the fall tour just call out, Bill and I have some experience. I loved the pictures, if that doesn't spark interest in old fords I don't know what would.
Thanks Chuck
Old 04-11-2011, 06:28 AM   #34
Vic Piano

Hi John, Let me know as well, if you want some assistance setting up the tour. I'm planning on going to the Moonshine Festival in Dawsonville, Ga. October 21st to 23rd. That might make a good location for the tour as the surrounding area is at the foot of the Smoky Mountains. Vic
Old 04-11-2011, 04:21 PM   #35
hombres ruin

My. Club has three flatheads in it, we are all under 35.we live and breath old fords and the flathead . Don't worry fellas the younger gen is not dead or disinterested in flatheads or fords we are out there alive and well
Old 04-12-2011, 08:05 AM   #36
WHITEY

"Huuuuuuuuush your mouth"....Mr.Ruin...HUSH IT!!!!

Dont listen to him grey beards...

No young guys know how EFV8,s can be Durable, Dependable, and Driven, when built and maintained correctly...

Once coupe is spinning those zephyrs....

Ill be looking for a late 30,s, stock, EFV8 truck to use as a daily.

That new england run looked like a blast to do....

Last edited by WHITEY; 04-12-2011 at 08:10 AM.
WHITEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:18 AM   #37
JM 35 Sedan

It was a blast Whitey. Get that coupe spinnin' those zephyrs before this October and join us for an Eastern Mountain Barner's Bash Tour in late October 2011. Stay tuned for more info/details to be posted here and on the Chevy Barn. Any type/make of vehicle will be welcome to join in on this tour but we are hoping for as many old vehicles as possible. You may actually see more posted about this tour on the Chevy Barn because our highly skilled professional promotions manager (Vic Piano) posts more there than here. Get those cars out and drive 'em in 2011. Invite some youngin's along and let them do some of the driving to get them more interested in these old cars.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:47 AM   #38
Cecil/WV

Is that what we are calling it?
Old 04-12-2011, 11:03 AM   #39
JM 35 Sedan

I don't know Cecil, I just made that name up as I typed the post. What do you think? I'm going to need lots of help putting this together. Should be a good run for your '50 with its rebuilt engine

Old 04-12-2011, 02:12 PM   #40
Vic Piano

John, you give me too much credit but thanks, I appreciate it. Have you given any thought to holding the event to coincide with the Moonshine Festival in Dawsonville, GA, October 21st to the 23rd? Vic
Old 04-12-2011, 03:00 PM   #41
JM 35 Sedan

Vic, I am keeping the Moonshine Festival in mind as we make our plans. I've wanted to make that show for the last several years but something else always seems to come up. That may be a 'fur piece' for some of us to venture with our old cars but then Cecil drove his '50 all the way to Utah last October for the EFV8C/A WNM. He won the long distance driving award.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:05 PM   #42
Hotrodladycrusr

I agree, driving them is the best bet AND driving them where the younger generation is, like the local high school, junior high, community college, even the elementry schools. Call up the shop instructor or principle of your local school and ask if you can stop by during class time and show the kids your car, including the flathead. Let them ask questions, sit behind the wheel ect. You will create more intersted doing that then just passing them on the road while they sit in their parents mini-van.

For many years I drove my now 18 year old nephew to school every day because his mother had to be at work at 6am so he got dropped off at my place in the wee hours of the morning. Anyway, 5 days a week if the weather was decent I drove him to school in one of my classic cars. The kids LOVED seeing those cars and would always ask Alex questions about them. I wonder how many kids will be influenced by just the every day sighting of those cars.

If you have a large collection like Vic how about calling the shop instructor and inviting the whole class to your place for a couple of hours of checking out your cars and shop.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:42 PM   #43
Vic Piano

Hi Denise, that's an excellent idea. I've been thinking about contacting some of the local schools to see if they could schedule a field trip over to my place, just to show them that even big boys still play with toys... How about you, think you'll take a drive down to Dawsonville, GA for the Moonshine Festival in late October? I'm planning on driving our '39 CS up from Tampa; it's just 600 miles one way. Vic
Old 04-12-2011, 03:50 PM   #44
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Vic, I am keeping the Moonshine Festival in mind as we make our plans. I've wanted to make that show for the last several years but something else always seems to come up. That may be a 'fur piece' for some of us to venture with our old cars but then Cecil drove his '50 all the way to Utah last October for the EFV8C/A WNM. He won the long distance driving award.
John, the Moonshine Festival is a blast. The surrounding area (Smoky Mountains) make for some interesting road trips, in addition to an excellent car show at the Festival and at Thunder Road (NASCAR Museum) in walking distance from the Town Hall. Who knows, we might even get Lawson to drive up in his Pickup... Vic
Old 04-12-2011, 04:21 PM   #45
Cecil/WV

John, I have near 300 miles on it at present and all is well. I'm at least 1 quart of oil ahead of the curve, compared to before. How long will it take to recoup my investment??
Old 04-12-2011, 07:11 PM   #46
Frank The Plumber

Smile more.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:51 PM   #47
Hotrodladycrusr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
How about you, think you'll take a drive down to Dawsonville, GA for the Moonshine Festival in late October? I'm planning on driving our '39 CS up from Tampa; it's just 600 miles one way. Vic
Doing great here. That event does sound like a fun time and would give me a chance to see you again. I'll try to save a few vacation days for it. Keep me in the loop.

Vic, I just looked at a map and it seems like a wonderful area to cruz around in. I'd come down from Knoxville into the mountains and take the side roads the rest of the way. Is it an open event? Perhaps my folks would like to do it in their '56 Olds, it's got the pro-touring look. Would they "fit in"??

Last edited by Hotrodladycrusr; 04-12-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Hotrodladycrusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:16 PM   #48
sp1ke

HOTRODLADYCRUSR,
I have done the same thing from here to pittsford New York. I have only the one car so it is easy for me as I am not quite a flush as some of the others on here.It seems all kids like the cars and ask alot of questions. I tell them all I know as the the history of FORD and the 50 which I drive.

thanks for you comment!

sp1ke
Old 04-13-2011, 06:25 AM   #49
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrodladycrusr View Post
Doing great here. That event does sound like a fun time and would give me a chance to see you again. I'll try to save a few vacation days for it. Keep me in the loop.

Vic, I just looked at a map and it seems like a wonderful area to cruz around in. I'd come down from Knoxville into the mountains and take the side roads the rest of the way. Is it an open event? Perhaps my folks would like to do it in their '56 Olds, it's got the pro-touring look. Would they "fit in"??

Denise, the Moonshine Festival and car show at Thunder Road are open events, as far as I know, any cars/trucks are welcome at Thunder Road. The Moonshine Festival is actually held in the town square, with mostly Moonshine era cars ('40's & '50's vintage) parked around the Court House and on the streets converging on it. You can Google Moonshine Festival and get all the info. The North Georgia Mountains are filled with interesting sights and fun to drive roads. It is an enjoyable event. I'd like to see you again as well, hope you can make it. Vic
Old 04-13-2011, 09:34 AM   #50
ford1

one thing that can be done to get the young kids interested is get rid of the guys that bring there cars to the show then put yellow tape barriers around it and run off any one with kids who get near it, thats not the signal we want to send to them, my car is to good for you, so stay away, to a young kid thats not to cool
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:09 AM   #51
John Kennedy

Attitude plays a big part in promoting any hobby, be it cars , rc aircraft, anything..