Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-07-2014, 10:34 PM   #41
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: So disapointed in Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
It also begs the question, why do hobbyists continue to use their parts when it has been stated over-and-over here regarding Specialized's (their parts manufacturing subsidiary) poor quality of parts. Folks know that Mac's parts are junk before they make the purchase yet they seemingly still follow thru with trying to make a purchase. What gives with that mindset?
Cheap price?
Old 07-08-2014, 05:27 AM   #42
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
Sure would be interesting to see what Mac's has to say about all this!

Hmmmmmmmmm??????

Pluck
they have been on here before defending themselves on previous threads like this one. did it make a difference? nope
who cares what they have to say at this point
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:51 AM   #43
Purdy Swoft

I bought some parts from Macs in 1990, they seemed ok at first but seemed to go down hill over time. They listed some stuff that others didn't offer but many times didn't have said parts in stock. They were rude to my wife when she tried ordering parts from them. I don't plan to ever buy from them again. Anybody that reads this forum very often would have to have seen the negative posts about Macs. There are lots of good model A vendors. For quality of parts and quick shipping, I have never had a problem with Berts or Snyders.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:05 PM   #44
juke joint johnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDO View Post
I can't under stand with all the classic cars in other country's, why don't you have your own suppliers. Seems to me it would pay you all to start one.
Hi Tdo
You make a good point Here in the UK. We have 2 companies that sell new Model A parts

Guess where the Longest established one get there stuff from ???? Macks!!!
Seems like it goes round in Circles I have allways had good luck and service from Bratton's and Snyders they are both Happy to ship to the UK

John Cochran
juke joint johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:02 AM   #45
eagle

Have ordered from Macs for years, T and A. Never had a problem. Have had good quality parts too.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:29 AM   #46
Franchise_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
Have ordered from Macs for years, T and A. Never had a problem. Have had good quality parts too.
You seem to be among a few who are the exception to the rule.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:40 AM   #47
BlueSunoco

Well, at least we have the choice of options. The really bad ones like Rick's get run out of town.

One nice thing about A's is, parts availability. I'd hate to be restoring a '29 Pierce Arrow looking for parts. Haven't seen very many catalogues for them! And for all the complaining, I know for sure I'd hate to be the guy trying to supply parts, it is a limited customer base for all of the ramp up money needed to bring parts to the table.

At least, for comparison, with all of the hundreds of thousands of Mustangs out there, they have a VERY good parts selection to choose from. Good quality to boot. That market has more growth potential than our lowly Model A Ford.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:01 AM   #48
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSunoco View Post
Well, at least we have the choice of options. The really bad ones like Rick's get run out of town.

One nice thing about A's is, parts availability. I'd hate to be restoring a '29 Pierce Arrow looking for parts. Haven't seen very many catalogues for them! And for all the complaining, I know for sure I'd hate to be the guy trying to supply parts, it is a limited customer base for all of the ramp up money needed to bring parts to the table.

At least, for comparison, with all of the hundreds of thousands of Mustangs out there, they have a VERY good parts selection to choose from. Good quality to boot. That market has more growth potential than our lowly Model A Ford.
Really, I know a guy doing a 1966 Mustang & he says he wishes he was doing an "A" that with all the non-fitting re-pop JUNK he has been buying !!..
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:32 AM   #49
larrys40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
While I was not there to observe both sides of the conversation, let me just say it this way. In all likelihood you spoke with Tom Jordan, ...and while he might have seemed "brash", he really is a genuinely nice and knowledgeable individual. Something to ponder that might be in his defense is tech advise is not his only job at Snyders. Getting orders filled is, --and you never know if Tom reluctantly dropped what he was doing to help you out yet had 10 other critical things on hold because of it. Knowing how Tom is, I truthfully would just chock it up to a stressful moment for him and not think about it again. He really IS a nice guy, ...and remember that he gets MANY questions a day from employees and customers who need immediate answers.

That is not always a factual statement, and in reality there are many more items out there that have multiple suppliers for. Just like WalMart and Target both carry Toasters, never assume they are the same product and the same quality. I generally think of Macs as wanting to distribute the WalMart-quality merchandise.

I agree. Tom is a great asset and always helpful to me. I checked on a part not stocked in great quantity due to rarity of use.. and 6 months later when they got them in from the supplier Tom called me to say they were in. I didn't even have an order in.... Now that's service!
Larry S.
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:22 PM   #50
BlueSunoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Really, I know a guy doing a 1966 Mustang & he says he wishes he was doing an "A" that with all the non-fitting re-pop JUNK he has been buying !!..
Have your friend buy from CJ Pony Parts. They are the 'Snyder's-Bratton's-Bert's' of the Mustang parts houses. I don't bother w/ the others because the parts and service I get from CJ is top of the line. Never had a part that was bad fitting. Never.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:22 PM   #51
JackA

Brattons won't even sed me a catalog after three requests. I just bought parts from Jerry's in Orlando - good quality. He is closing at years end, so he would probably like to sell as much as possible before then.
JackA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:41 PM   #52
Tom Endy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackA View Post
Brattons won't even sed me a catalog after three requests. I just bought parts from Jerry's in Orlando - good quality. He is closing at years end, so he would probably like to sell as much as possible before then.

I have been doing business with Bratton's for over 20 years. I have met Walt Bratton several times over the years and I talk to him usually at least once a month. Walt does not tolerate poor service from his employees. Walt takes a very professional approach when he hears of poor service from one of his employees. Instead of firing the person he calls them all together to remind them they are in business to sell parts and please the customer. If they do not please the customer they will not sell parts and he will have to lay people off. They get the message real quick.

I first met Walt at the Dallas MAFCA meet in 1992. At a time when most suppliers wanted to sell you their catalog Walt showed up at the meet with boxes and boxes of catalogs that he stacked up on a table at the rear of the seminar room and told each session to help them selves. This struck me as a man who knew how to run a business. And I have been doing business with him ever since.

Call Bratton's at 1-800-255-1929 and ask to speak with Walt. If he is there he will take your call. If he is not there ask to speak to Jeff, his son-in-law. One is always there. Tell them you want a catalog and tell them about your difficulty trying to obtain one. I guarantee you will receive a catalog in the mail free of charge. You will never have a problem doing business with Bratton's. If you do, ask to speak with Walt.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:22 PM   #53
ct1932ford

Just use Joe's Antique Auto from Mass. You will never use anyone else!
Old 07-09-2014, 09:03 PM   #54
BlueSunoco

Joe's is great for Flathead stuff but I am sure he doesn't handle Model A parts
Old 07-09-2014, 10:02 PM   #55
hupdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanw View Post
Of the places I emailed about parts and getting them shipped to NZ, Macs was the ONLY place that replied at all. The parts I haven't got locally, came from Macs, no problems.

Allan you have been VERY Lucky ! They have stung me for shoddy repo parts and postage previously. Order on line with Brattons, Berts or Synders and you will save yourself a bundle and its easy. Just keep the order under NZ$ 450 to avoid GST

Karl in Feilding
hupdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:28 AM   #56
dpson

Well, I just placed a fairly large order with Mac's for a Cartouche interior kit for my 31 Roadster. My first order with Mac's. This is far from a show car and I just couldn't see spending the extra money for LB.

We'll see how it goes....
dpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:30 AM   #57
zzlegend

I have to say, the Cartouche kit I received last week for my 27 roadster, was very nice and installed nicely. Received it in six days to. The first thing I bought from Macs in 4 years. Not promoting them but just my opinion.
Should add, that this was just the door panel kit and not the seats. having them done at my upholstery shop.

Last edited by zzlegend; 07-10-2014 at 09:08 AM.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:32 AM   #58
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I don't know if this thread helped any but the order I placed in Dec shipped yesterday.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:33 AM   #59
rusty12

I rarely order from Mac's because they are probably the furthest away from me when compared to any of the other vendors This, of course, means higher shipping cost and longer waiting times. However, I have found that when all the other vendors are out of stock of a particular item, Mac's will almost always has one in stock. Maybe because they are such a large company they can afford to stock higher quantities? When I have purchased parts from Mac's I have always been satisfied with both quality and service. No complaints from me.
rusty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:55 AM   #60
Mitch//pa
BANNED

good luck with car-douche mine wore out in the first year on the driver seat and l/s door panel where my knee touches. you can see the wear on the seat next to the gun stock.. never again ill spend the xtra $$$ for better quality as i just did on my current restoration project. the LB is a night and day difference all around.... i hate doing things twice

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 07-10-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote