Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-07-2014, 06:29 AM   #1
BobbyG

Default So disapointed in Macs

Macs Antique Auto Parts – An Ecklers Company.

By far the worst service I have EVER received from a USA based supplier.

I have spent quite a lot of money with this supplier as I have a 55 Chevy & a 28 Ford – But I will not send them one more penny not if they were the last supplier in the world.

This is how they look after their customers.

26/03/14 I ordered some door locks for my Model A - a week later I asked for an ETA and was told only part of the order had shipped and it would be with me shortly.

Countless e mails later after having contact with Customer services staff : ****** & ***** (edited out names - Ryan) I learn that they have sent the order out to the wrong location and I would have to re order.

I requested a refund ASAP and I did that a further 8 times, they just ignored my e mails, I called and tried to sort it out on the telephone, the 1st time they left me on hold for 10 mins and then cut me off I called back and they just cut me off – these were long distance calls from UK to USA.

Today I have received a refund – Just short of 3 months they have had my money – no explanation – no apology.
There are lots of great suppliers out there who deserve your hard earned money and there are some that should be avoided.

I know who I am not going to recommend in the future.
BobbyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:10 AM   #2
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Re: So disapointed in Macs

thanks for the review and at least you finally got your well deserved refund back.
Macs is just to commercial for me and lacks that personalized attention. i wouldn't spend my $$ there either even though i qualify for a 10% shop discount

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 07-07-2014 at 07:27 AM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:18 AM   #3
Franchise_24

Thanks for sharing your experience, be it good or bad. I'm sure things take a lot longer when it is outside the USA, but hopefully you don't continue to have these types of problems.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:19 AM   #4
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Conversely, since the change in ownership I have had many excellent transactions with Macs. Their shipping is slower than many others but I am aware of that when I order. I deal with Macs and Snyders routinely. Hopefully you will have better luck with your new supplier !
Wayne .
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:58 AM   #5
Terry,NJ

Thanks for sharing! I wish we could talk over the back fence, but the internet makes these conversations possible. I have ordered from Macs a few times, small orders so that if they screw up, well no great loss! But they've always been ok. However, I'm nervous about ordering from them and feel a lot more confident about Brattons, Snyders, Berts, Or Speedway. Some other dealers you might try are Mikes affordable, Smith and Jones, Tams. Or any that are listed at the beginning of the forum.
Good Luck, Terry
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:07 AM   #6
Growley bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
Macs Antique Auto Parts – An Ecklers Company.

By far the worst service I have EVER received from a USA based supplier.

I have spent quite a lot of money with this supplier as I have a 55 Chevy & a 28 Ford – But I will not send them one more penny not if they were the last supplier in the world.

This is how they look after their customers.

26/03/14 I ordered some door locks for my Model A - a week later I asked for an ETA and was told only part of the order had shipped and it would be with me shortly.

Countless e mails later after having contact with Customer services staff : ***** & ****** I learn that they have sent the order out to the wrong location and I would have to re order.

I requested a refund ASAP and I did that a further 8 times, they just ignored my e mails, I called and tried to sort it out on the telephone, the 1st time they left me on hold for 10 mins and then cut me off I called back and they just cut me off – these were long distance calls from UK to USA.

Today I have received a refund – Just short of 3 months they have had my money – no explanation – no apology.
There are lots of great suppliers out there who deserve your hard earned money and there are some that should be avoided.

I know who I am not going to recommend in the future.
I had a similar experience and will NEVER conduct business with them or recommend them to any one.

Chet
Growley bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:22 AM   #7
Franchise_24

I always hear about their shipping being so slow and it taking weeks to get orders out. How can the popular ones (Snyders, Brattons, Mikes, Berts, etc) get things shipped out the same day you order? I seriously doubt Macs is busier than all the others. If I order from Snyders or Brattons in the morning, it is on my door step the next day. Love service like that.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:31 AM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

It also begs the question, why do hobbyists continue to use their parts when it has been stated over-and-over here regarding Specialized's (their parts manufacturing subsidiary) poor quality of parts. Folks know that Mac's parts are junk before they make the purchase yet they seemingly still follow thru with trying to make a purchase. What gives with that mindset?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:08 AM   #9
nhusa

Interesting -
I now remember people on the Model T Ford Club of America site saying the same things about Macs.

I am making decisions about what I need when rebuilding my A motor.
My current list included items from Macs, Snyders, Brattons, Tams and Tims.
There was about $500 from Macs that will go somewhere else.
I will also check out Berts and Speedway.

Brent - Your begging question is fair. I think people get busy and sometimes forget.
nhusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:09 AM   #10
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Obviously everything sold at Macs is not manufactgured at Macs. I resently purchased 6 Goodyear tires and a Covercraft Noah car cover. I was totally satisfied with both the service and the quality. I am not here to market MAC's but they do indeed provide a service to our hobby. Is their shipping slower than others such as Snyders, of course it is but you know that when you place your order. With thousands of customers they must be doing something right !
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:13 AM   #11
Terry,NJ

Brent, You focus on a little bit of insanity that has concerned me too! Why do I do it? I can't give a good answer except to say, I want them to be good, They're close! When I go to Denver, I like to stop in at Bert's, Cause I'm close! And I genuinely like the place and the people. I took a trip down to Walt Bratton's once. I was buying a HC head and I didn't want to ship it.
Mac's is not far (4 hrs?) Snyder's is 5 hrs Maybe and I will take a trip out there for Rain gutters for the fordor.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
It also begs the question, why do hobbyists continue to use their parts when it has been stated over-and-over here regarding Specialized's (their parts manufacturing subsidiary) poor quality of parts. Folks know that Mac's parts are junk before they make the purchase yet they seemingly still follow thru with trying to make a purchase. What gives with that mindset?
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:27 AM   #12
wrndln

I to, don't do business with Mac's anymore. I have had a couple unpleasant experiences with them in the past. There are several other good parts suppliers like Bratton's, Bert's and Snyder's. I would switch to a better company if I were you - sounds like you are. Sorry for the problems you encountered. I believe all three companies I mentioned above ship overseas, but being in Minnesota, I don't know for sure.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:27 AM   #13
BlueSunoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhusa View Post
Interesting -

Brent - Your begging question is fair. I think people get busy and sometimes forget.

Kind of like the Pink Slime they use to make McDonald's and most fast food joint hamburgers!! We ALL soon forget!!
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:28 AM   #14
hangarb7

Again, thanks for sharing. Last week I had a disappointing experience with Snyders, yet what they recommended was correct and the parts were delivered the next day.

I had called to not only order but to ask a question; the fellow they switched me to (clearly an older fellow) was rude because he had to answer more than one question.

Since this was a specific body question, at one point I asked if he had done the install of this part himself, and I guess that was a bit too far because the question and answer period was over! How dare I ask that?!

However, in six years I have received most everything that I have ordered on time and correctly. I will continue to buy from Snyders but will experiment with Berts just to get familiar with them. I think I need someone more personable to answer questions, and honestly, as we switch to newer and younger owners of Model A's, they need to start realizing that a smaller percentage of owners are knowledgeable from the start.
hangarb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:51 AM   #15
mot

I have never heard anything bad about Berts
and they are on Ford Barn all the time to answer questions
they even loaned Pluck terminal boxes for his research
they seem to be a little more involved with people
and have lots of original parts

tom
mot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:57 AM   #16
700rpm

I've always had good experiences with Bratton's and Bert's. Never a disappointment.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:00 AM   #17
wrndln

Tom,
You are correct, Steve Becker runs a great place at Bert's. He will try to find original parts if he gets some in and notify the buyer if and when they do. In fact I have my name on a list for a couple parts right now. It is the go to place for original Ford parts.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:08 AM   #18
zzlegend

My 2 cents. When i buy "A" parts, I use berts or snyders or brattons. But I recently ordered a 6 piece door and kick panel set for my 27 roadster. They are made by a company that Macs owns, "or so I am told". Another vendor stocked these also but were out of stock and they buy them from Macs. So I went directly to Macs and was surprised. They gave me a reduced shipping price, why? Not sure but it was reduced. "Maybe they have been reading all the comments on the barn about their shipping fees". The guy I talked to did not seem real savy on the panels but did help. Received them in 6 days and they look and fit perfect as far as I am concerned. I know they have had their problems with others, but I am very satisfied. Like I said, just my 2 cents.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:15 AM   #19
Franchise_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
Obviously everything sold at Macs is not manufactgured at Macs. I resently purchased 6 Goodyear tires and a Covercraft Noah car cover. I was totally satisfied with both the service and the quality. I am not here to market MAC's but they do indeed provide a service to our hobby. Is their shipping slower than others such as Snyders, of course it is but you know that when you place your order. With thousands of customers they must be doing something right !
Wayne

By all means, you are happy with them so I would think anyone would encourage you to continue to deal with them. The slow shipping times is enough to make me say no thanks, I'll go else where, and deal with someone who has things in order and can get it out faster.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:32 AM   #20
JRShaw

Smile Re: So disapointed in Macs

Guys - WHY would anyone use Mac's for anything?/ I have done an AACA award winning Late '31 Truck with the help and support of Bratton's. Walt has gone out of his way to be kind and helpful. Another huge plus is being a New York State resident, I have saved quite a bit of taxes over the last 20+ years, far out-shadowing any shipping costs. The service has been outstanding, the responses and shipments excellently sent, phone conversations polite and helpful, etc. I would NOT go to Mac's if it were the last place on earth. They screw you for taxes, shipping (or gas), etc.
I am presently doing a Late '31 Roadster and you can bet your sweet a__ who is getting the patronage!!

Just Sayin...

Joel R. Shaw in Fairport, NY
JRShaw is offline   Reply With Quote