Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #21
Patrick L.

Default Re: End play adjustment screw

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
So... Politely asking for help here is no longer acceptable? I just thought that if the adjustment of the 2-tooth box were posted here, it might help a lot of people who look this up and find this thread someday. My apologies for suggesting such an absurd idea.

The answer "Go buy the book" may help answer the question a lot of people here have about why younger people aren't getting interested in old cars as a hobby these days.

I think I will add this attitude to the "pet peeves" thread.
The way you asked just rubbed me the wrong way. It didn't seem like you were having trouble with the instructions or adjustments, which any of us would have been glad to help with. It just seemed to me as though you expected something handed to you without any effort on you're part. You may not have meant to come across like that, thats just how I took it. If I'm one of your pet peeves now, OK.
Actually, the adjustment procedure has been posted here a couple times [ once by me] so it might still be able to be found in search or archives.

Last edited by Patrick L.; 08-08-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #22
johnsor

Owning Model A's for years, I find that the Service Manules and Les Andrew's books are "must" to have.
johnsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #23
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
Would someone be kind engough to paste the service bulletin instructions here for everyone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsor View Post
Owning Model A's for years, I find that the Service Manules and Les Andrew's books are "must" to have.
I owned the Service Bulletins and Les Andrew's books quite some time BEFORE I got my Model A. They have been an invaluable resource in all the work I have done on my PU since I acquired it.

To scan and post these publications on this or any other internet site would be ethically "stealing" from the publishers of said books, nevermind that it would probably be a copyright violation as well.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #24
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
I owned the Service Bulletins and Les Andrew's books quite some time BEFORE I got my Model A. They have been an invaluable resource in all the work I have done on my PU since I acquired it.

To scan and post these publications on this or any other internet site would be ethically "stealing" from the publishers of said books, nevermind that it would probably be a copyright violation as well.

Hmmm, good point Carl.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #25
Napa Skip

I second the recommendation to purchase a copy of the service bulletins. In the interim, takea look at post #6 by Mike V. Florida on 5-16-2013 to the "steering box adj" thread for information on the adjustments.
MARC of San Diego (1977-1978)
MAFCA (since 1978)
MARC (since 1977)
----------
Model A owners belong in their Model A’s; Model A’s belong on the road.
Napa Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:51 PM   #26
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
The way you asked just rubbed me the wrong way. It didn't seem like you were having trouble with the instructions or adjustments, which any of us would have been glad to help with. It just seemed to me as though you expected something handed to you without any effort on you're part. You may not have meant to come across like that, thats just how I took it. If I'm one of your pet peeves now, OK.
Actually, the adjustment procedure has been posted here a couple times [ once by me] so it might still be able to be found in search or archives.

Nope, I sure didn't mean to come off rude or disrespectful in any way. I thought the request was made in a kind manner.

I already know how to make the adjustments myself, just was hoping to get it out here for the sake of others now and in the future who find this information by searching the forums.

Carl- Excellent point. Please disregard my previous request.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #27
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

There are three adjustments to be made but 4 things need to be played with for those adjustments.

1. End play of steering shaft.
2. End play of the steering sector.
3. Alignment of the sector gear teeth in worm gear

1. End play of steering shaft. The bolt on the top of the steering box above the oil fill.

2. End play of the steering sector. The thrust screw and jam nut on the side of the housing oposide side of the piman arm (near engine).

3. Alignment of the sector gear teeth in worm gear. Two places; a) The eccentric sleeve jam nut on the pitman arm side, top, b) The eccentric rivet on the pitman arm side bottom of steering box.

This is not a step by step procedure but rather what needs to be done and how it affects the steering.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #28
Jim Huseby

I know I forever destroyed any credibility I ever had on the barn, but I want to throw a word of caution on adjusting the worm end play on a 2-toothe. I have seen very few worms that do not have pitting on their tapered end bearing races. I don't think the pitting is caused by rust in most cases, because it's on both ends when there's no evidence of rust anywhere else. I think it's from repeatedly over tightening the thrust adjustment. The thrust force generated from steering the car could never put enough thrust pressure on the tapered end bearings to hurt them. The recommended way to check the thrust adjustment on the worm is by pulling and pushing on the steering wheel. I think the adjustment should be just tight enough to take out that play and it is easy to over tighten because you can't feel the fit at the adjustor. I don't think it needs pre-load. Since the adjustor is right on top and accessible, well-meaning people seem to think it needs to be cranked on or tightened frequently. 'Just my observation.
Jim Huseby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #29
Tom Foster

Smile Re: End play adjustment screw

[QUOTE=Ross/ I have about 2" of play at the steering wheel.[/QUOTE]

My thought is that "just" 2" of play is about right. If play at the wheel gets to about 1/8 of a turn, you might have a problem, but I've seen a lot of A's with that much and more. Didn't say I'd want to drive them very fast, though...
Fearless
Tom Foster is offline   Reply With Quote