Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-12-2011, 03:00 PM   #41
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: How to promote EARLY FORD V/8 INTEREST

Vic, I am keeping the Moonshine Festival in mind as we make our plans. I've wanted to make that show for the last several years but something else always seems to come up. That may be a 'fur piece' for some of us to venture with our old cars but then Cecil drove his '50 all the way to Utah last October for the EFV8C/A WNM. He won the long distance driving award.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:05 PM   #42
Hotrodladycrusr

I agree, driving them is the best bet AND driving them where the younger generation is, like the local high school, junior high, community college, even the elementry schools. Call up the shop instructor or principle of your local school and ask if you can stop by during class time and show the kids your car, including the flathead. Let them ask questions, sit behind the wheel ect. You will create more intersted doing that then just passing them on the road while they sit in their parents mini-van.

For many years I drove my now 18 year old nephew to school every day because his mother had to be at work at 6am so he got dropped off at my place in the wee hours of the morning. Anyway, 5 days a week if the weather was decent I drove him to school in one of my classic cars. The kids LOVED seeing those cars and would always ask Alex questions about them. I wonder how many kids will be influenced by just the every day sighting of those cars.

If you have a large collection like Vic how about calling the shop instructor and inviting the whole class to your place for a couple of hours of checking out your cars and shop.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:42 PM   #43
Vic Piano

Hi Denise, that's an excellent idea. I've been thinking about contacting some of the local schools to see if they could schedule a field trip over to my place, just to show them that even big boys still play with toys... How about you, think you'll take a drive down to Dawsonville, GA for the Moonshine Festival in late October? I'm planning on driving our '39 CS up from Tampa; it's just 600 miles one way. Vic
Old 04-12-2011, 03:50 PM   #44
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Vic, I am keeping the Moonshine Festival in mind as we make our plans. I've wanted to make that show for the last several years but something else always seems to come up. That may be a 'fur piece' for some of us to venture with our old cars but then Cecil drove his '50 all the way to Utah last October for the EFV8C/A WNM. He won the long distance driving award.
John, the Moonshine Festival is a blast. The surrounding area (Smoky Mountains) make for some interesting road trips, in addition to an excellent car show at the Festival and at Thunder Road (NASCAR Museum) in walking distance from the Town Hall. Who knows, we might even get Lawson to drive up in his Pickup... Vic
Old 04-12-2011, 04:21 PM   #45
Cecil/WV

John, I have near 300 miles on it at present and all is well. I'm at least 1 quart of oil ahead of the curve, compared to before. How long will it take to recoup my investment??
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:11 PM   #46
Frank The Plumber

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Smile more.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:51 PM   #47
Hotrodladycrusr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
How about you, think you'll take a drive down to Dawsonville, GA for the Moonshine Festival in late October? I'm planning on driving our '39 CS up from Tampa; it's just 600 miles one way. Vic
Doing great here. That event does sound like a fun time and would give me a chance to see you again. I'll try to save a few vacation days for it. Keep me in the loop.

Vic, I just looked at a map and it seems like a wonderful area to cruz around in. I'd come down from Knoxville into the mountains and take the side roads the rest of the way. Is it an open event? Perhaps my folks would like to do it in their '56 Olds, it's got the pro-touring look. Would they "fit in"??

Last edited by Hotrodladycrusr; 04-12-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Hotrodladycrusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:16 PM   #48
sp1ke

HOTRODLADYCRUSR,
I have done the same thing from here to pittsford New York. I have only the one car so it is easy for me as I am not quite a flush as some of the others on here.It seems all kids like the cars and ask alot of questions. I tell them all I know as the the history of FORD and the 50 which I drive.

thanks for you comment!

sp1ke
Old 04-13-2011, 06:25 AM   #49
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrodladycrusr View Post
Doing great here. That event does sound like a fun time and would give me a chance to see you again. I'll try to save a few vacation days for it. Keep me in the loop.

Vic, I just looked at a map and it seems like a wonderful area to cruz around in. I'd come down from Knoxville into the mountains and take the side roads the rest of the way. Is it an open event? Perhaps my folks would like to do it in their '56 Olds, it's got the pro-touring look. Would they "fit in"??

Denise, the Moonshine Festival and car show at Thunder Road are open events, as far as I know, any cars/trucks are welcome at Thunder Road. The Moonshine Festival is actually held in the town square, with mostly Moonshine era cars ('40's & '50's vintage) parked around the Court House and on the streets converging on it. You can Google Moonshine Festival and get all the info. The North Georgia Mountains are filled with interesting sights and fun to drive roads. It is an enjoyable event. I'd like to see you again as well, hope you can make it. Vic
Old 04-13-2011, 09:34 AM   #50
ford1

one thing that can be done to get the young kids interested is get rid of the guys that bring there cars to the show then put yellow tape barriers around it and run off any one with kids who get near it, thats not the signal we want to send to them, my car is to good for you, so stay away, to a young kid thats not to cool
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:09 AM   #51
John Kennedy

Attitude plays a big part in promoting any hobby, be it cars , rc aircraft, anything..