Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-30-2016, 12:24 PM   #41
Cool Hand Lurker

Default Re: Life is too short, use and enjoy your cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jenkins View Post
I'm 84. My 1930 CCPU I am restoring is called "Pea Cup."

My goal for living is 93, which would match my Grandpa's age when he died.

I look at life this way..

Exercise! Pea Cup keeps me pretty busy..
Eat the right stuff
A little red wine
Some dark chocolate
Food with vinegar
Get the proper rest.. Like a short daily nap
Be totally honest.

What's nice about the Pea Cup, two of my kids want it! BUT! They're gonna hafta wait till ole Dad has driven the wheels off of it and lived to be a hundred!

Message? ALWAYS have a positive attitude! Now, who gets Pea Cup?

Larry

Two kids want it? Larry, get another one right now that the kids can use right now. Then when you go to the Big Ford Junkyard in the sky they won't have to fight over "THE" Model A. And better yet, YOU can drive one right away, just in case you don't make it to 93 !!!
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:16 PM   #42
Ed

A good reminder.

Even though we are all aware that everything can change in the blink of an eye, we also believe it will happen to someone else.
Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:50 PM   #43
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyc View Post
"I spent all my money on women and cars. The rest I just wasted."
anonymous
Wasn't it said by a famous English football player - George (i think ) Best -Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:06 AM   #44
al's28/33

I just attended the services of a work colleague who passed at 63 and he LIVED his life, there were about 450 people at the event and not a dry eye in the room. Our time here is very short so we must remember to make the best of what we have.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:58 AM   #45
ericr

this is all sincere advice, but I have often suspected that many if not most members here are living in small towns, in the country or on semi-rural farmettes, etc. For those of us living in more urban areas, traffic and driving habits have gotten so bad, one has to really calculate when you take a Model "A" out. It is a far different driving situation than when I got into the hobby in the 1960s., negatively so.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 11:45 AM   #46
dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
this is all sincere advice, but I have often suspected that many if not most members here are living in small towns, in the country or on semi-rural farmettes, etc. For those of us living in more urban areas, traffic and driving habits have gotten so bad, one has to really calculate when you take a Model "A" out. It is a far different driving situation than when I got into the hobby in the 1960s., negatively so.
For several years, I drove my Model A to work three or four days a week, back when I lived in the California Bay Area. It's doable--but you're right that you have to be on your toes all the time. However, I never got the same feeling of "living dangerously" when driving my A that I did when riding my motorcycle.
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 01:22 PM   #47
Jon W

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
It is not where we live that has changed, but how drivers have changed. Driving too fast, tailgating, texting, lane changing, etc. have all influenced where and how we drive.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:54 PM   #48
pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Wasn't it said by a famous English football player - George (i think ) Best -Karl

These are a few of George's quotes.....

Not sure if they were plagiarized tho..

George Best/Quotes

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

In 1969 I gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life.

I used to go missing a lot... Miss Canada, Miss United Kingdom, Miss World.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 06:36 PM   #49
caboose

The Music Man said it best:

Harold Hill: Oh, my dear little librarian. You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays.
caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:35 PM   #50
Clem Clement

It snowed 2feet here in Northern Virginia. usually they come by and put salt or beet juice in our village but not for2 days. Day 2, I fetched my sled out of the attic and got in 5 great rides. Lots of heat from my kids, but I loved the ride.
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:03 PM   #51
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

For many many years I've told people and promised myself that I would die of a heart attack at the age of 92 ....in bed with a virgin....due to the lack of virgins of a legal age...............I'm going to live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 11:07 PM   #52
armchair67

Very good thread, and very true. I am 41 and work long long hours. I have made it a goal this year to cut back and enjoy life more-my five year old son and my cars. I have been a car nut since I was four years old, having grown up with parents who always had interesting cars around. I purchased my 31 Tudor a year and a half ago, and until 3 months ago, it was my only mode of transportation. I drove it every day, everywhere, and loved it. I have been driving it one or two days a week since then, as the brakes need real attention. I am going to work on those this month, and overhaul the transmission, so it is ready for some real miles again come spring. I'm heavy into Air cooled VWs, and have had one I have been working on for along time, which I have also made progress on recently. Something really hit me this year about life being short and fast, so it may as well be fun. I was looking at some photos recently. My dad is 68, and has been talking about doing his 1951 MG TD, which he has owned since he was 18 or 19. Every year since I was a kid, he has been saying "this is the year I get to it", and guess what? There it sits. A number of people in my life-my dad's friends, family, etc, that got me into this car obsession-have aged, some have passed on, and boy it did not seem long ago that they were the age I am presently. So yes, get to getting folks!
armchair67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:30 AM   #53
Jon W

Most people will wish they could do something yet they will never take the first steps. There is always some way for them to rationalize why. They either didn't have enough money, or time, or skills, etc.

As a long time pilot if I had a dollar for everyone that told me they wanted to learn how to fly I could afford a fleet of cars. If I had to pay a dollar for everyone that never took that first step I would be penniless.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:51 AM   #54
5851a

I used to end up behind a nice Ford pickup 3 or 4 times a week on the way to work. Across the top of the tailgate painted in nice script "Any day above ground is a good day" Kind of stuck in my mind.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote