Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-20-2015, 08:42 AM   #1
Talkwrench

Default Supercharger idea.. Thoughts?

This is an SC14 Supercharger off a Toyota Supra [2lt] its 1420cc. OK OK I know its not a Frenzel, or McColloch but I have used one before as part of a kit that retro-fits to our Holden 6 cylinders, it was under my bench so thought I would see how it would go.
Roughly looking at it I can pick up a mount of the alternator bracket and also make a mount off one of the intake manifold studs, the other side also possibly off the water pump bolt exhaust manifold or even a head stud?? I do have a few tensioners I could try squeeze in for the belt.
because of the rotation the top is the outlet so that would seem quite simple a few bends and straight in...But the big problem will be the intake, see that last pic, its underneath, so what do I do ? I was thinking an SU carb but how to mount and the heat??
They do make an adapter for a 350Holley but again because of the rotation its on the outlet side in this situation? The inlet and outlet on it doesn't interchange tho' the inlet I think I can reverse but not that it would help either.. Perhaps one of those offset alternator brackets might put it in a better position?
Well its just an idea.. Lawrie can you see something here?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3761small.jpg (92.7 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3763 Small.jpg (77.8 KB, 269 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3764Small.jpg (85.9 KB, 272 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3765Small.jpg (85.9 KB, 249 views)
Old 06-20-2015, 09:52 AM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: Supercharger idea.. Thoughts?

That is a neat idea. Hope you can make it work.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 11:37 AM   #3
Fordestes

can the rotors be swapped from side to side ? can the end plate bolt patterns be turned in the opposite direction to make the intake at the top instead of the bottom?
Looks like something I would love to get ahold of to try, what about making it a blow through system?
Fordestes
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 11:39 AM   #4
Ross F-1

Is that SC one made to run "wet", with gas going thru it? Or is it from an EFI car?
Old 06-20-2015, 03:06 PM   #5
cmbrucew

Might try 90° rotation of mounting. Intake on the cool side, output on the other side.
Bruce
Old 06-20-2015, 07:30 PM   #6
Talkwrench

No the rotors can't be swapped in fact you can't even change the bearings in these they are glued in.
I'm sure they are a originally a 'dry' setup but they do both.
If I turn it up in a different way the mounting it will become very interesting and challenging.
Fordestes, yes it might work better as a blow through.. Get a four barrel manifold and I have someone that can knock me up a small blower carb...
Old 06-20-2015, 08:21 PM   #7
Binx

Looks like a candidate for a throttle body and port fuel injection. Is this the same blower that mid '90s Previa vans have?

Lonnie
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:58 PM   #8
SofaKing

I believe some of the 50s cars like Studebaker and Chrysler essentially built a box around the carb and pressurized the box. Seems like such an arrangement would offer a number advantages and solve your carb/ intake problem.
SofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 12:23 AM   #9
Lawrie

Rob,first thing you need to work out is if you want to blow thru the carb or suck through.
That will then dictate which way you can layout the pipes.
You can blow through a carb ,but there is some fiddle stuff you have to do.
Shoot me an e/mail later in the week,I,m away in Europe and wll be home on wed,have a meeting with the dragster this coming weekend.
My boy and his mate have mucked around with turbo 202,s so are familiar with the problems you will face.
I will talk to them.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 01:46 AM   #10
expavr

"You can blow through a carb ,but there is some fiddle stuff you have to do."

I'm using a Holley 4150 carb modified to deal with the boost. That and a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator and some plumbing is about all you'll need for a blow through carbureted system. The big plus with a blow through system as opposed to the pressurized box system is that you can tweak the carb's performance more easliy. Looking at what your trying to accomplish a blow through system might be the easiest way to go. Determining what pulley configurations will be needed to generate the boost and then locating off the shelf pulleys could be the biggest challenge you'll face. A very interesting project...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hemi.jpg (77.9 KB, 125 views)
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:18 PM   #11
Ggmac

How much do those blowers usually go for ? I've got a small machine shop and just starting a flathead conversion . Re conversion actually , taking the 283 out and reinstalling a 24 stud where a 21 use to sit . It's not original so , I was going to try a ford 2.5 turbo . This would be a cleaner look .
Thanks , Gary
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:59 PM   #12
Ronnieroadster

If I had that blower I would rearrange how your setting it up. First I would remove the carbie and then locate the blower with the outlet side directly over the intake manifold inlet. Relocating the alternator to the side where the blower is located in the photo the alternator is now used to tighten the belt. Doing it this way you could now locate the carbie on top of the blower which as you know is the air inlet side of the blower. Doing it this way eliminates blowing pressurized air into the carbie. Pressure flowing into the top of the crabie will effect the float which is already a problem of sorts on the Stromberg and the jetting will need to be adjusted a bunch in that configuration for this all to work correctly.
ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:24 PM   #13
Talkwrench

Ggmac those little SC14 blowers go for about $300 -450 tops here in Australia. If you have a machine shop I would be using an Eaton m62 0r m90 blower. Do it well and start selling kits! someone is doing them however its just for the little 60 engine..

Ronnie , yes it would be good to do it that way. However the way I have it, it only needs very simple pipe work there would be next to no machining work involved except for the pulley but I think you can even buy those?? . Its why I thought of using an SU carb [draw through] too . The idea is still kicking around in my head.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:41 PM   #14
ford nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binx View Post
Looks like a candidate for a throttle body and port fuel injection. Is this the same blower that mid '90s Previa vans have?

Lonnie
it sure looks like the one on my wifes 97 previa SC. I can't get her to pick out something newer. It does go though.

Last edited by ford nut; 02-08-2018 at 04:16 PM.
ford nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:32 AM   #15
deucemac

I would do like sofaking said and build a pressure box to mount the carb inside of. As for the intake, run a tube like you have, but run it through the fender well and use a shielded K&n conical filter to get air that's not preheated from the radiator. So much for my 20 cents worth.
deucemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:35 PM   #16
hombres ruin

I would go with a more traditional super charger

Last edited by hombres ruin; 02-08-2018 at 04:38 PM.
hombres ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:24 PM   #17
SofaKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkwrench View Post
Ggmac those little SC14 blowers go for about $300 -450 tops here in Australia. If you have a machine shop I would be using an Eaton m62 0r m90 blower. Do it well and start selling kits! someone is doing them however its just for the little 60 engine..

Ronnie , yes it would be good to do it that way. However the way I have it, it only needs very simple pipe work there would be next to no machining work involved except for the pulley but I think you can even buy those?? . Its why I thought of using an SU carb [draw through] too . The idea is still kicking around in my head.
I don't know much about SU carbs but Mikuni makes a very nice side draft carb for motorcycles in the 1.2-1.5 liter range, HSR42 or HSR45, that might be substituted for the SU. On motorcycles they work great and very tune-able.
SofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:52 PM   #18
Talkwrench

Yes a bank of Mikuni flat slides, that would make it bark, probably need two sets!.... However nowhere near as simple to change settings mmm...
Old 02-09-2018, 02:02 AM   #19
flatheadmurre

The SU carbs are nice and can be adjusted quite a bit without having to change any jets.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote