Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-07-2021, 05:42 PM   #1
will.rynerson

Question Fuel Tank conversion to Pick up bed

Okay,
I’ve purchased a fuel tank to go under the bed of my 1945 Ford 1/2 Ton pick up.

I’m wondering if anybody else has converted from under the seat to the bed of their pick up. I could use some insightful steps. Any information would be greatly helpful and appreciated.

“1Tim 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.”‬
will.rynerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:48 PM   #2
Doublepumper

Default Re: Fuel Tank conversion to Pick up bed

It's quite common and pretty straight forward. Keep in mind, many more people are working on the '48-'52 trucks than there are the '42-'47, so there is more info to be gleaned from checking out what they're doing. Being the frames are nearly identical between these years, the '48-'52 rear tank install will be pertinent to you. Check the interwebs for all the various ways these tanks are being installed.
Good luck!
Old 04-07-2021, 07:03 PM   #3
will.rynerson

Thanks, it fits fine behind the rear axel.

“1Tim 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.”‬
Old 04-08-2021, 10:42 PM   #4
GB SISSON

What tank are you using? I just bought an aluminum 17 gal. 'fuel cell' for my 47 frankentruck. Not sure what makes it a fuel cell instead of a tank, but it was like 214.00 with a sender and thick black exterior coating. That whole area between the frame rails on our trucks makes it pretty easy to do this conversion. I would like to see some photos of your tank and it's brackets and plumbing.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:55 PM   #5
will.rynerson

I picked up a tank from EBay 1957-1960 FORD F100 F-100 1/2 TON PICKUP TRUCK ALUMINUM FUEL GAS TANK BED FILL. 265.00

They did not give any instructions. Sooooo I’m not sure what the 2 small hole on the top and are for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2AB4B44C-B848-4DBB-B7F5-343750C3A972.jpg (64.6 KB, 68 views)

Old 04-08-2021, 11:00 PM   #6
will.rynerson

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
CCP
Steering • Brakes • Suspension Call the Experts
1957-1960 Ford F-100 Aluminum 15-Gallon Fuel Tank

**Our aftermarket in bed fuel tanks bolt to the bottom of the frame in-between the frame rails after the rear axle. Removal of the bed may be necessary for installation**

These aluminum tanks are a must for anyone wanting move the original style tank from behind the seat to under the bed, between the frame rails. The tank comes fully
baffled and is designed to work with a fuel cap on top of the bed for fuel filling. The tank comes with the fuel pick up with a -6AN fitting and an attached steel tube.
A roll over valve is also included - that will stop gas from spilling out if the tank would happen to be upside down. There is also a preset spot for the sending unit and two ports on the bottom of the tank for fuel injection (one of the port can be plugged as well for carburetor applications).

Features:
Aluminum construction
15 gallon capacity
Bed fill design
28.25" wide
16.5” deep
8” tall
32.25" overall width including mounting flanges
Included rollover valve
Two fuel outlets
Requires rear crossmember removal
(Part# AGT-BTANK)

I Guess I know what the holes are for now.

Old 04-08-2021, 11:31 PM   #7
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by will.rynerson View Post
I picked up a tank from EBay 1957-1960 FORD F100 F-100 1/2 TON PICKUP TRUCK ALUMINUM FUEL GAS TANK BED FILL. 265.00

They did not give any instructions. Sooooo I’m not sure what the 2 small hole on the top and are for.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote