Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-01-2020, 05:23 PM   #1
Wayne B

Default 1950 f3

Hello,
New to the forum. I need a little help. Have a 1950 F3 with a rebuilt flathead, and converted to 12 volts. I can get the motor to start, but fouls the plugs and will not run correctly. Put in a fuel regulator to the carburetor and set it to 2.5 psi. There is no vacuum line now due to the new 12-volt distributor. Does anyone have any ideas?
Wayne B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 05:39 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: 1950 f3

Welcome to the Barn Wayne. Sounds like a fuel problem, but. What type of distributor? Is it a modern one with a machinal advance or the original style? What are you referring to as a 12 volt distributor, normally a distributor doesn't care what voltage it sees. Is it an electronic distributor?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 05:40 PM   #3
tubman

If it has a stock Holley 94 carburetor, I would immediately suspect a leaking power valve. Even if the carburetor has been rebuilt recently, it may be a problem. Currently available Holley power valves (for the 4BBL carbs) look like the older ones and even screw into the carburetor, but they are slightly different and do not seal correctly.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 05:48 PM   #4
Wayne B

The distributor in electronic with built in advance. I have the holley 94 carb. Seem like the carb is dumping fuel.
Old 02-01-2020, 05:51 PM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne B View Post
Seem like the carb is dumping fuel.
Sounds like it. Has it been recently rebuilt? There are several members here on the Barn that rebuild them. They can be a bit tricky.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 06:34 PM   #6
tubman

Again, it's probably a leaking power valve. I don't mean to be condescending, but do you know what a power valve in a 94 is, what it's for, and how it works?
Old 02-01-2020, 06:39 PM   #7
Wayne B

I’ve looked it up and ordered one. Hope this does the trick. Thanks
Old 02-01-2020, 06:55 PM   #8
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne B View Post
I’ve looked it up and ordered one. Hope this does the trick. Thanks
You may not be out of the woods yet. Not all Holley power valves are created equal, although they look almost identical and screw into the same hole. When Holley went from the 94 series carburetors to the 4BBL's, they changed the shape of the seat slightly and the newer power valves usually do not seat correctly in the older carburetors. They can be made to fit properly with a little lathe work, but not all of us have lathes. If you ordered your power valve from a regular auto parts store or one of the major speed emporiums (Summit, Jeg's, etc.), you will almost undoubtedly get the new style which will leak. There are some sources that can probably supply the right part, but to be absolutely sure, you should get it from "Charlie ny" who is a member here and has probably forgotten more about 94's than most of us know.
Old 02-02-2020, 06:11 AM   #9
tubman

Wayne, I believe it's better to try to diagnose a problem rather than just throw parts at it. You can check for a leaking power valve, by removing the air horn assembly from the carburetor and filling the bowl with fuel. Cover it with a rag or something (to inhibit evaporation) and let it sit overnight. If the fuel level is down significantly, you've found the culprit.

I'm not saying that this is your specific problem, but it's probably the most common cause of this sort of thing.