Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-18-2019, 03:19 PM   #21
Hot Rod Reverend

Default Re: Parts For Sale Again

packrat... glad to see you sold the overdrive transmissions, I was interested like I told you in the PM but I know they are heavy to ship. Many times location plays a key role in parts sales of course.

one thing I will add to this conversation - the FordBarn seems to be a site that has much more traffic for the Early Ford crowd than the Late Ford crowd. Examining the post counts between the two forums and then between the two sales categories would certainly explain the lack of sales. Not enough of a market on this site for the 50s Ford group on this site. I have purchased quite a bit through FordBarn for my 1955 Ford Club Sedan. I have only been "cheated" twice but have kept that to myself. In those two instances the only saving grace was that the individual had posted photos of the parts - what he ended up shipping me was not what he had listed and described.

On the seller end, I have sold quite a bit over the years but mostly on eBay. I am about finished with that site however. The latest debacle was a $325 loss over hi ratio rocker arm assemblies for a Y block. In early 2020, I will be going to a website store available to me on my own website, hotrodreverend.com. It will have ways to link to social media and all of those platforms. Like it or not, that is where people live these days - I am amazed at the Facebook groups for 55-56 Fords and the Y block. They proliferate and parts are swapped quite often.

Last thing to add... the market for these parts continues to dwindle as the "potential customers" pass on. The demographic who enjoy our cars and desire to purchase those parts - that number of people are aging to the point of not being able to work on them or needing to downsize. I was recently with an 80 year old retired GM accountant who took me through his collection - 12 vehicles, all restored, with what I figured to be roughly a 300K value. (56 Cadillac Convertible, 60 Ford Starliner Convertible, 59 Ford Retractable, 68 Chevelle, etc, etc.) When I talked to him about parts he basically gave me what he had stashed in a barn. The next guy I was just with - when I asked him how much he wanted for a 56 Ford Y Block intake (A) and the intake manifold and thermostat housing, all in very clean shape, he said "how about $10?" I felt awkward... he had just given me three very nice 55/56 Ford rims for free. I said, "No, it's worth more than that, you gave me those rims, how about I give you $60?" (and he took that of course!)

It is what it is. I do hope you find some folks who can use the parts - they are not getting any easier to find!
Old 12-18-2019, 03:37 PM   #22
Alaska Jim

There are people up here in Alaska That are dying to be able to buy those parts, but the shipping kills the deal. finding them local is almost, if not impossible.
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 04:49 PM   #23
58Yeoman

I can't believe that someone hasn't bought that 53 Ford. I know what you mean when you just want to get rid of stuff and can't.
58Yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 11:18 PM   #24
packrat5
BANNED

I can't believe it either. The car needs some serious work, but it is by no means a rusted out POS. My plans were a 4 inch top cut, (which looks fabulous on this body style) 54-55 Packard Clipper taillights, 55 Pontiac side trim, no emblems or handles,a vintage type motor with 3 speed column shift, shortened 54 chev grille with filled cavity, smoothed bumpers, you know the drill. (maybe not judging by the few replies to my attempts at selling it) The motor was a challenge. A Ford? too easy, and what kind? A chev? Never. An early Olds 303 324? Too hard to put a stick on, and that pesky left side starter. A 331 Caddy? same stick issues as Olds. I even thought of a 327 Rambler. Yikes! Now that would be a challenge. I finally settled on a 315-325 Dodge or a Plymouth 318 poly motor. Easy to get a stick for, oil pan sump is in the middle just like the flathead that was in it, even found a couple of motors. Suddenly both sons found other interests of their own, and old age and retirement suddenly caught up with me. (meaning no money) I had one guy who wanted to "bag it". I told him where to go. Another guy had some "buddies" who were going to "drop in a tree pipty". Told him where to go. Another guy wanted me to finance the sale at $100 a month. meaning free storage until it was paid for. Judging by the look of him, it could take years.Told him where to go. Another guy told me to finish the chop, and he would give me the 1K I was asking. I told him if he would pay me $4500 to completely finish the chop, he could have the car for free. He left with a confused look on his face.
Now the storage facility I have been at since 1980 is for sale. I have 5 units full of cars and parts. I am at $50 a month for each unit. (you do the math on that one) If they sell, and I am sure they will, the rent is going to go up to what all the other facilities are charging which is $95 a month. This stuff all has to go SOON, or all of it is going for scrap.
packrat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 11:26 AM   #25
tjaybo

Hi Packrat, any chance you have packed away the carb and trans shift linkage for 56 club sedan with a 4 barrel carb and auto [fordo] trans???
tjaybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 03:13 PM   #26
scicala

Tjaybo,

If Packrat5 can't help you, I have seen a couple of these on EBAY since you first needed one. Also EBAY seller "natolibird" (Felix Natoli) may be able to help.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 09:23 AM   #27
reddog565

Just my two cents? I like most of you other guys on here I'm a senior. But, I've learned you have to keep up with modern technology. I realize most guys aren't comfortable with cell phones. But you're dead in the water nowadays if you don't have one. They're not just for talkin there for taking pictures and communicating. People nowadays text,they don't call. So you got to get yourself into the game, if you're going to try and compete in today's society. Times of change guys, you got to get with it..
reddog565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 03:55 PM   #28
cb

I know exactly what you mean, I've been hauling parts back and forth to swap meets for years. And selling stuff online is a royal pain, Its to a point where its not worth it any more. I will probably end up hauling it to the local scrap yard and take what get and call it quits.

Happy Holliday's everyone
cb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 08:05 AM   #29
glassmanjaf

need column and drop for 40 ford car
815 355 0576 Jeff
glassmanjaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 09:54 PM   #30
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog565 View Post
Just my two cents? I like most of you other guys on here I'm a senior. But, I've learned you have to keep up with modern technology. I realize most guys aren't comfortable with cell phones. But you're dead in the water nowadays if you don't have one. They're not just for talkin there for taking pictures and communicating. People nowadays text,they don't call. So you got to get yourself into the game, if you're going to try and compete in today's society. Times of change guys, you got to get with it.
Nnnnnnnope, not me. I'll keep my Majikjack telephone service (last time I renewed my service cost me $60 for five YEARS) and all calls are FREE. How much do you spend annually on your cellphone and service charges??? About 20 yrs ago I bought a Jazz Z40 digital camcorder from BigLots for $12.00. It can take pictures and makes movies. All the photos I have used on this website came from that camera. CHEAP! That's me.
I sold on epay up until about 10 yrs ago. Got fed up with listing fees and selling percentages and did not like having a paypal account. All gone now. I may not sell my parts like hotcakes now, but eventually maybe they'll all disappear someday.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:01 AM   #31
39deluxecp

lower the price and it will sell. I can see why you still have it
39deluxecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:53 PM   #32
packrat5
BANNED

Most of it is already less than what I paid for it. If I would just give it all away for free, someone or someones, would want me to pay for the shipping too. AGAIN, this all new stuff, or primo used, not flea market cast off junk. I have also decided nothing is for sale anymore, I'm tired of cheapskates. EVERYTHING is going for scrap.
packrat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:37 PM   #33
My Old Blue

I learned best way to ship some of these oversized items is through Fastenal. They ship store to store for a reasonable price.
My Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote