Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-20-2017, 12:33 PM   #1
qmdv

Default 32 fuel line routing

Pretty sure fuel line routing is inside the left frame rail. How was it attached.

Tim
qmdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:58 PM   #2
hardtimes

Default Re: 32 fuel line routing

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmdv View Post
Pretty sure fuel line routing is inside the left frame rail. How was it attached.

Tim
Hey Tim,
Small stainless clamps are made for this and brake line clamping to frame. Set I used for brake lines , came with 'self-taping' metal screws. Worked great and clean application.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:43 PM   #3
glennpm

These should help.

Courtesy of David Rehor (buy his 1932 Ford Books!)

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showp...0&postcount=12

This has great pictures of a 32 chassis posted by member "Flathead Fever".

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...3&highlight=14

Glenn
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:31 PM   #4
qmdv

On the first set of photos is shows the self tapping screws going through the side of the frame from inside to out. Hmmm

Tim
Old 11-20-2017, 03:58 PM   #5
DavidG

qmdv,

With respect, originally no self-tapping screws were used to attach the fuel/air line to the chassis frame. All of the clips and clamps were secured with 5/16-24 hex bolts, nuts, and lock washers, except for the large clamp on the firewall which was attached with a 10-32 round head slotted screw and lock washer to a clinch nut on the lower right side (looking rearward) of the firewall.

Self-tapping screws are actually something of a rarity on an original '32, with the only use I can recall being for the attachment of the door sill plates (#8 binding head).

Glenn,

Depending on how far you want to go seeking originality, please do not use that second set of photos for reference. There are many errors on that chassis and it has been well demonstrated that the subject chassis was not an authentic display chassis to start with, just someone's idea of how to make a buck (a big one at that) decades later.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:36 PM   #6
glennpm

Thanks David for the warning on that chassis! It sure looks pretty though.
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:58 PM   #7
jim1932

In case some one looks at this in the future. I believe the V8 runs down the left side and the B runs down the right side?
Old 11-21-2017, 03:00 PM   #8
DavidG

Jim,

Yes and no. Yes in the case of all fours, but only LHD V8 fuel/air lines are routed on the left side. All RHD lines, four's and V8's, are routed on the right side. (Recalling that this site has a fairly substantial RHD following.)
Old 11-21-2017, 04:41 PM   #9
Ian NZ

I have been told of two Canadian built R.H.D 1932 V8's in New Zealand with original fuel lines on the L.H. side.
Ian NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:17 PM   #10
DavidG

As in all things, possible, but clearly not the design intent given the proximity of the exhaust system. Perhaps they ran short of RHD lines at Walkerville that or those two days on the assembly line.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:31 PM   #11
qmdv

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Jim,

Yes and no. Yes in the case of all fours, but only LHD V8 fuel/air lines are routed on the left side. All RHD lines, four's and V8's, are routed on the right side. (Recalling that this site has a fairly substantial RHD following.)
What air line. Did the tank vent up the frame rail forward. How far forward and where did it terminate?

Tim
Old 11-26-2017, 07:48 PM   #12
DavidG

The original line was composed of two tubes welded together over most of their length, one for fuel and the other much smaller in diameter line was for air pressure to activate the hydrostatic fuel gauge on the instrument panel.

The tank unit created air pressure that varied with the level of fuel in the tank which in turn raised and lowered the red liquid in a glass tube in the gauge.

The tank was vented at the tank unit. There was no separate vent tube.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:00 PM   #13
materguru

David
this obviously is an old thread. however, i was wondering if you could take the time to tell me what clamps were used from the rear cross member to the firewall on the interior side. i have enough pictures from the engine side. i am the one restoring the Cabriolet i have bothered you about over the last year
thanks again
Don Turner
materguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:37 PM   #14
DavidG

Don,

It is indeed an old thread. Unfortunately, I am away from my old car stuff at present so I can't provide as good an answer as I would like.

The routing of the fuel/air lines on that display chassis is generally okay, but specifically not correct with regard to the routing beneath the firewall where the lines were attached with a unique clip (part number 18-9296 that attached to rearmost of the two bolts that attach the firewall to the chassis frame). The routing of the fuel/air lines on all '32 chassis, V8 and four, LHD and RHD, are shown in the V8 Club's 1932 Ford book in Appendix A-14 which is not surprisingly titled "Fuel and Air Line Routing". The clips used are shown in Appendix A-13. The photo from page A-13-2 is shown below with the big elongated 18-9296 clip at the very bottom of the photo, but not the lengthy text explaining the use of each of the clips depicted (only some of which are used to attach the fuel/air lines). If you send me a PM with your e-mail address I can scan the relevant portions of the text for you (or better yet, buy the book as it is a bargain).

The next three photos depict the correct routing of a LHD V8 fuel/air line on the inside of the left frame rail. All of the bends are correct as are the three clips attached to the rear cross member and side frame rail. All that is missing is the 18-9296 clip beneath the rearmost firewall-to-frame bolt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image Expert Photos 508.jpg (33.2 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 712.JPG (60.0 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 713.JPG (60.2 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 714.JPG (53.0 KB, 49 views)