Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-27-2020, 04:59 PM   #1
37 Coupe

Default LeBaron Bonney or Marks roadster windshield.

Mayby someone knows this or has 50-60 year old catalogs still around. Could you buy a chrome 1930-1931 windshield frame from LeBaron Bonney or did Marks make them years ago and were they good or junk? Thes two are about the only suppliers that my dad bought from ,also Gaslight here in Ohio. I just wonder if better ones are made today then what I have that needs rechromed.I think Brookville makes them now,not cheap.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:29 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: LeBaron Bonney or Marks roadster windshield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Coupe View Post
Mayby someone knows this or has 50-60 year old catalogs still around. Could you buy a chrome 1930-1931 windshield frame from LeBaron Bonney or did Marks make them years ago and were they good or junk? Thes two are about the only suppliers that my dad bought from ,also Gaslight here in Ohio. I just wonder if better ones are made today then what I have that needs rechromed.I think Brookville makes them now,not cheap.
Gerald, are you speaking of an open car windshield frame or closed car?

With regard to LeBaron Bonney, if my recollection is correct, they never really sold anything like windshield frames et/al until Paul Case purchased them. I would need to think about this some as to a timeline but I know he was not the owner of L/B 50-60 years ago.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:27 AM   #3
37 Coupe

Yes,I am sorry not including that I meant an early reproduced 1930 open car windshield frame. I guess I am really trying to figure out if what I have is original or a reproduced frame. How one can tell the difference and are the ones made today supposedly in the USA better than anything before. One I have is for a Deluxe has all the proper holes plus some extras but it is painted silver.I know it has been on this car since the early to mid sixties. Another one I have is Deluxe and chrome but no holes for top front flap to windshield. Brattons sells one with the five holes drilled and tapped .Snyders sells one without the holes tapped or drilled for snaps. Bottom line was a good repro made back in the day or junk? Better ones today or ill fitting? Ones today are not cheap unless a Speedway one.
Old 02-28-2020, 03:13 PM   #4
1931 flamingo

What's under the silver paint??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 06:59 PM   #5
d.

if I remember correctly there was a fellow in MA. who made some pretty good open car windshield frames in the 60's and later...Warren Christenson?
I don't think LB made parts other than upholstery kits and top fabric.
I think they bought their hardware from other vendors/ manufacturers and offered them as a convenience to their customers.
d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 07:17 PM   #6
barnstuf

As was said in the above post LeBaron Bonney Company only made the items common to their auto upholstery line. Yes, they did carry other items made elsewhere in their retail line to complement their upholstery line. Warren Christianson has been mentioned and he was the trunk rack manufacturer and sold both wholesale to dealers as well as retail in his own ads. I recall the maker of the chrome plated windshield frames for 1930-31 Model A open cars and also for early V8 open cars. The name is not coming to me as I write but it was a man in upstate New York.This was an era when individuals with experience saw a chance to make items needed in the hobby and to benefit their pocketbooks while also filling a niche in the hobby. I was a Model A owner before it was a hobby and participated in it becoming a hobby and all its growth since around 1954.

Sheila at MARC headquarters told me a few years ago that since George DeAngeles passed on I am the club's longest term member, joining in May, 1954. I participated in the first and the second National Meets, Dearborn 1955 and Dearborn 1957 and many since.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 07:33 PM   #7
DavidG

RIch,

Walter Trautwein (sp?) made the windshield frames you're referring and I believe his son is still doing so.

Congratulations! With 66 years of membership in MARC, I hope that you had the foresight to buy a life membership early on.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 10:04 PM   #8
Keith True

The man in Mass.that made frames was Gene Bunce.I really only remember him making the Cabriolet windshield frames.He did make some other gadgets,I have one of his shields that sat over the filler neck while refueling to keep spillage off the paint.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 10:28 PM   #9
37 Coupe

This has all been really helpful. Wonder if the ones made early on,(reproduced) had the five holes drilled on top bar outside for snaps like Brattons offers? Seems Brattons is the only one that includes this for the same price as the others with no drilling or tapping. I would think with the chrome and the round tubing it may be a tricky job.