Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2016, 12:34 PM   #1
Tod
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Salem, Ohio
Posts: 950
Default Updates.

I heard back from the core shop about my engine block cores and things are finally under way now to get the block back on "schedule". That is very good news to me. I hope to have one built soon.


I took the first iron Winfield to Snyder's today to be evaluated and we discussed spark plug needs of customers. These first heads use the 7/8-18 spark plug, but the feedback from Don was that most people would want the 14mm plugs. So we screwed in the adapters to go from 7/8-18 to 14mm plugs and they were a perfect fit. That might just be the way I end up selling them. Because the 7/8 plugs and the 14mm plugs have such different thread lengths I would have to modify the pattern (no big deal if I need to, or just cut another one) to use 14mm plugs without adapters.


Pics coming soon, somehow.


Tod
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:10 PM   #2
Juggler
Senior Member
 
Juggler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Phoenix AZ/Bath UK
Posts: 457
Default Re: Updates.

As usual Tod, if you are happy to email me the pics I'm happy to host them and post them

Cheers

Juggs
Juggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-08-2016, 01:15 PM   #3
mshmodela
Senior Member
 
mshmodela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 2,751
Default Re: Updates.

Great news Tod thanks for the update and more so your efforts!
__________________
-Mike

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:30 PM   #4
hardtimes
Senior Member
 
hardtimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: South California
Posts: 5,873
Default Re: Updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
I heard back from the core shop about my engine block cores and things are finally under way now to get the block back on "schedule". That is very good news to me. I hope to have one built soon.


I took the first iron Winfield to Snyder's today to be evaluated and we discussed spark plug needs of customers. These first heads use the 7/8-18 spark plug, but the feedback from Don was that most people would want the 14mm plugs. So we screwed in the adapters to go from 7/8-18 to 14mm plugs and they were a perfect fit. That might just be the way I end up selling them. Because the 7/8 plugs and the 14mm plugs have such different thread lengths I would have to modify the pattern (no big deal if I need to, or just cut another one) to use 14mm plugs without adapters.


Pics coming soon, somehow.


Tod
Hey Tod,
Finally some good news to start off a new year that started off badly otherwise !
Congrats on both fronts (engine block and iron head) !
What compression ratio is Winfield iron head that went to Snyders ? And, if low cr, can it be milled for higher cr ?
I am not a 'fan' of adaptors, however I would have it that way than not at all, eh . Relative to the A block, I take it that it was able to be machined to your satisfaction...for use ?
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 05:07 PM   #5
Tod
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Salem, Ohio
Posts: 950
Default Re: Updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Hey Tod,
Finally some good news to start off a new year that started off badly otherwise !
Congrats on both fronts (engine block and iron head) !
What compression ratio is Winfield iron head that went to Snyders ? And, if low cr, can it be milled for higher cr ?
I am not a 'fan' of adaptors, however I would have it that way than not at all, eh . Relative to the A block, I take it that it was able to be machined to your satisfaction...for use ?
This Winfield is a 6:1. The foundry is ready for me to make the 7:1 crow's foot version.

The block I just finished machining is not to my liking for any outside use, but we will finish it up and test build it so as to verify results. The main idea was to write the machining program so I can have it ready to go and also allow my friend's shop to have a program they can adapt easily to their machines. When I get everything bolted on to this block I will take pictures and let people see it. I'll bolt one of the Winfields on it. I already bolted it to an original block, so I know it fits nicely.

Lots to do. Chop, chop. Giddy up.

Tod
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:07 PM   #6
Tod
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Salem, Ohio
Posts: 950
Default Re: Updates.

I posted a picture over here:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...#post-11287204

Tod
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:57 PM   #7
Gold Digger
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Arkansas & Alaska
Posts: 567
Default Re: Updates.

I'm sure this has been discussed on here before but I'm kind of like a goose, I forget after I sleep. Will this engine have pressure feed oiling, will it be balanced and will it be capable of driving at higher rpm's? I've been kicking around putting in a Mitchell or a overdrive but if this new engine will stand up to the rpm's, I had rather go that way instead.
Gold Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:56 AM   #8
Tod
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Salem, Ohio
Posts: 950
Default Re: Updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Digger View Post
I'm sure this has been discussed on here before but I'm kind of like a goose, I forget after I sleep. Will this engine have pressure feed oiling, will it be balanced and will it be capable of driving at higher rpm's? I've been kicking around putting in a Mitchell or a overdrive but if this new engine will stand up to the rpm's, I had rather go that way instead.
I was forgetful in my 20s!

Yes this block will have pressurized oiling to the mains and cam. Balancing will be up to the builders. All I will be supplying is the block.

Tod
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:37 AM   #9
Gold Digger
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Arkansas & Alaska
Posts: 567
Default Re: Updates.

Thanks for the up date. Keep up the good work Tod.
Gold Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:01 AM   #10
Jim Brierley
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 3,257
Default Re: Updates.

Tod, I've been playing with hot bangers since the 50's and have never seen a Winfield head with 7/8-18 plugs. I've seen them with 18mm plugs and later ones with 14mm. Doesn't mean it didn't happen. 18mm was the plug of choice back in the 30's. Keep up the god work!
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:46 AM   #11
Tod
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Salem, Ohio
Posts: 950
Default Re: Updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
Tod, I've been playing with hot bangers since the 50's and have never seen a Winfield head with 7/8-18 plugs. I've seen them with 18mm plugs and later ones with 14mm. Doesn't mean it didn't happen. 18mm was the plug of choice back in the 30's. Keep up the god work!
Yeah, I took the plug size from a Winfield that a friend has. I can be flexible and give customers the size they want.

Tod
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 12:07 PM   #12
JohnLaVoy
Senior Member
 
JohnLaVoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Rocklin, CA
Posts: 779
Default Re: Updates.

Glad to hear the good news! I will put an update in the Times!
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:08 PM   #13
Tod
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Salem, Ohio
Posts: 950
Default Re: Updates.

I posted a picture of the deck/chamber side of the iron Winfield on the same thread above.


Tod
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:24 PM   #14
2manycars
Senior Member
 
2manycars's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Eastern CT
Posts: 2,727
Default Re: Updates.

I had an original Winfield on my B motor, and it had 18 mm plug holes. I got a set of adapters from Mike Hart to use 14mm plugs. I should not have sold that motor, or the head and other stuff it had.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:27 PM   #15
hardtimes
Senior Member
 
hardtimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: South California
Posts: 5,873
Default Re: Updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
This Winfield is a 6:1. The foundry is ready for me to make the 7:1 crow's foot version.

The block I just finished machining is not to my liking for any outside use, but we will finish it up and test build it so as to verify results. The main idea was to write the machining program so I can have it ready to go and also allow my friend's shop to have a program they can adapt easily to their machines. When I get everything bolted on to this block I will take pictures and let people see it. I'll bolt one of the Winfields on it. I already bolted it to an original block, so I know it fits nicely.

Lots to do. Chop, chop. Giddy up.

Tod
Hey Tod,
Checked out the nice picture of the iron head 6:1..both sides. Looks great !
Your next one is crow foot 7:1. Put 14 MM plug holes in it....and it's sold,eh ! Let me know..PM
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 04:54 PM   #16
Tod
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Salem, Ohio
Posts: 950
Default Re: Updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Hey Tod,
Checked out the nice picture of the iron head 6:1..both sides. Looks great !
Your next one is crow foot 7:1. Put 14 MM plug holes in it....and it's sold,eh ! Let me know..PM
Seems like everything I make is already sold! In order to put 14mm plugs right into the head I have to alter the pattern for all future use or you would have to use the adapters. Let me know what you want to do.

I think I can get them to look even better by having my one core shop make the molds. They use a much smaller grain sand and the molds would be much tighter than the foundry molds.

Before I start actually selling these I am going to put out these first few to a few guys who have agreed to be test "dummies." That way, if there is some unseen problem it won't be as big a deal since they are given out as test product.


Tod
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:04 PM   #17
hardtimes
Senior Member
 
hardtimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: South California
Posts: 5,873
Default Re: Updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Seems like everything I make is already sold! In order to put 14mm plugs right into the head I have to alter the pattern for all future use or you would have to use the adapters. Let me know what you want to do.

I think I can get them to look even better by having my one core shop make the molds. They use a much smaller grain sand and the molds would be much tighter than the foundry molds.

Before I start actually selling these I am going to put out these first few to a few guys who have agreed to be test "dummies." That way, if there is some unseen problem it won't be as big a deal since they are given out as test product.


Tod
Ok with whatever plug hole that works, as said, as long as 7:1 and iron !
As far as dummies, this dummy has a warmed up B ready to test heck out of any head that you can make..
If you give it to another dummy to test, keep track of it , as sold to this dummy
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:41 PM   #18
Tod
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Salem, Ohio
Posts: 950
Default Re: Updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Ok with whatever plug hole that works, as said, as long as 7:1 and iron !
As far as dummies, this dummy has a warmed up B ready to test heck out of any head that you can make..
If you give it to another dummy to test, keep track of it , as sold to this dummy
I figure I'll just make you a new one with 14mm plugs. I just had an idea on how I can alter the plug holes on top without making any actual pattern change. This idea will allow me to make whatever hole depth I want to match the customer's need.

Tod
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:31 PM   #19
hardtimes
Senior Member
 
hardtimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: South California
Posts: 5,873
Default Re: Updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
I figure I'll just make you a new one with 14mm plugs. I just had an idea on how I can alter the plug holes on top without making any actual pattern change. This idea will allow me to make whatever hole depth I want to match the customer's need.

Tod
Hey Tod,
Sounds like a good plan ,i.e.- 14mm plug holes ,in my Winfield Crowsfoot iron head !
Can you control the comp ratio , or is that a function of me cutting ...say a 6:1 to make what I want, which is 7.5:1

Last edited by hardtimes; 01-10-2016 at 02:32 PM. Reason: ..............
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:58 PM   #20
Tod
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Salem, Ohio
Posts: 950
Default Re: Updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Hey Tod,
Sounds like a good plan ,i.e.- 14mm plug holes ,in my Winfield Crowsfoot iron head !
Can you control the comp ratio , or is that a function of me cutting ...say a 6:1 to make what I want, which is 7.5:1
The crow's foot is going to be naturally around 7:1. If you don't need piston reliefs you can gain some there. Not sure how much more surfacing may be needed from there, if any.

Tod
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36 PM.