Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-03-2015, 10:36 PM   #21
Jim Mason

Default Re: Found what I believe to be a very early AR

It may be early but probably not very early. BTW, the 8 is upside down on the engine number. If you do decide not to restore it, i'd be interested in several parts (wheels, drums, lug nuts, bumper clamps if script...etc etc. Message me here or email at jmason at chartermi dot net if interested in selling anything, I'm working on an April 28 Tudor for fine point and will be looking for lots of parts. good find!
Old 03-03-2015, 10:55 PM   #22
al's28/33

the hood louvers have the taper on them along the top line parallel to the hinge line and I see the "8" is upside down.......you'll have to show us more photos of "known" early features beside the early type of 21" rims you already posted too........best and most definitive is to locate the frame # under driver side front end of cowl......practically everything else could have been changed, upgraded, modified since the car was new.....
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 01:00 AM   #23
Gary Karr

If this Tudor is definately a very early '28 and most all of the rare early parts are not there, it may not be worth the time and money to try to build it as an authetic early '28. Some of thes parts are practically non-existant and to acquire them will be an incredible challenge at the very least. I am currently restoring a very early Coupe, built within a couple of days of this one (if that is in fact the correct number.) I have been collecting parts for over 12 years for this project and still have a long way to go.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:55 AM   #24
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Acey Deucey,

"The car is definitely early. Not a doubt in my mind re-stamp or not".

What leds you to this quick conclusion?

We could go on and on and on telling you what to look for ect., in determining if in fact this car is an Early 1928, BUT your best bet, if you really want to get down to the finite things about this vehicle and the rusty facts, is to get a copy of the MARC/MAFCA Restoration Guidelines and Judging Standards and start to key out the different features on the car and by that, it will give you a perty close guestimate of when it was possibably assembled as far as when certain items appeared in the assembly process.

That might be a little work for you to do, and you will have to spend a little money to do so, but educational at that, otherwise...keep on guessing!

Is there a date on the gas tank? What is the body's assembly plant code and numbers? (For location...go to my website and look up Additional Studies, then go to Letters, Numbers and Codes for "A" educational experience!)

Have fun!

Pluck

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 03-04-2015 at 08:54 AM.
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:58 AM   #25
dlshady

Tagging this for a reply later this evening. Any chance we could get a side view of the visor or a picture showing how the cross rail underneath the windshield is attached to the vertical pieces of the cowl?
Old 03-04-2015, 10:02 AM   #26
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
It has no star at either end of #s, Plus the #3 is a wrong shape.. It should have a flat top on it, not as shown here..
Mornin' Fred,
ALSO, if it has never had the pad ground & re-stamped, the pad WILL have a rough cast iron grain to it.
Bill W.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:49 PM   #27
ora masters

hey mrtexas i have an early rdst pick up when i took the bed off the sub frame extend about two feet behind the cab i found out later that the first rdst trucks was built on phayton sub frames i just cut the sub frame off right behind the cab how was yours
ora masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:47 PM   #28
pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ora masters View Post
hey mrtexas i have an early rdst pick up when i took the bed off the sub frame extend about two feet behind the cab i found out later that the first rdst trucks was built on phayton sub frames i just cut the sub frame off right behind the cab how was yours

Can you advise any documentation or links to this ?
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:11 PM   #29
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ora masters View Post
Mine extends to the rear axle.

I'm putting my early rpu back together. I bet there are more unique parts than standard on the ARs. Almost nothing is the same on my 29 roadster.

mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote