Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-10-2019, 09:42 PM   #1
warrene

Smile Zenith float level ... Model A

Seems to be lots of confusion and difference about the Zenith float level and what it should or shouldn't be, some say float level makes no difference since all the outlets and jets are at the botto of the bowl so gas is always there, that part's true. Keep in mind the the gas level in the bowl is also the fuel level in the two jets in the venturi, also the same level in the pipe where the idle jet sticks down, the higher the level the easier it is for the vacuum to suck gas out of them, the lower the level the harder it is.
I simply view the float in closed position, if it's parallel with the underside of the casting it's close enough, I usually shim the valve to allow a scant higher fuel level, the far end of the float a hair closer to the casting than the hinged end, you don't want the engine 'starving' in any speed range.
I've worked on these cars since 1948, they're great cars that seldom ever let you down, Henry did himself proud, this goes for Edsel as well, had a big part in it..
warrene
warrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:19 PM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Zenith float level ... Model A

http://www.modelabasics.com/carb%20basics%202.htm
Old 11-15-2019, 08:58 AM   #3
Ed in Maine

Most of the published data on float level recommends the level 5/8 in. below the machined surface of the lower casting. Having said that, know that the gas level in the Main and Cap jets is right there at the top of the jet. You may have a gas smell in your garage from these two jets. I call its the "runny nose affect." If you park on a steep hill with the car facing up the hill, you may have dripping gas into the street. I agree with Warrene that the car will have a good fuel/air ratio through out the speed range with a 5/8 in. float level.

However, how fast do you really have to go in a Model A? I like a float level of 11/16 in. to 3/4 in.to avoid the risk of a dripping or smelly carb. Most often this level requires (2) gaskets under the float valve (with viton soft seat). At this level, my cars run just fine up to 55 mph.
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:27 AM   #4
katy

Quote:
I simply view the float in closed position, if it's parallel with the underside of the casting it's close enough
Ditto
Old 11-15-2019, 02:31 PM   #5
Tom Endy

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
See attached article.

Tom Endy
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Zenith Float Valves.pdf (150.2 KB, 60 views)
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote