Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-13-2019, 11:08 AM   #1
txmike

Default Splash Apron Mounting isses

Hi
I have a 1929 Ford Coupe and am trying to mount to splash apron.
The problem I am having is that the hood shelf bracket raises up over the top of the shelf in the rear. Therefore I cannot get the screws to align with holes as the hold shelf bracket raises in the rear.

Is this a repo problem where I have to grind down a section of the splash apron to make it fit or?

Appreciate all the advise you guys can give me

Rgds
Mike
txmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 12:23 PM   #2
kbinde2

Default Re: Splash Apron Mounting isses

tx.. could you post a picture..sometimes it will help to analyze a problem.

thanks, kb
kbinde2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:03 PM   #3
txmike

a picture is worth a thousand words. Sorry for not including!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2379.jpg (29.9 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2378.jpg (31.9 KB, 171 views)
Old 10-14-2019, 09:51 AM   #4
kbinde2

In "Bratton's" catalog, front holes may need to be moved forward 1/4".. original were 5 3/4" apart, do you have repo hood shelves.?
I have original, but to line up I used 4 drift punches to get all the sheet metal in line, then started each screw after removing the drift, tightening after all were started.. good luck
kbinde2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:08 AM   #5
Tinbasher

It looks like these are painted already. Always a good idea to fit everything before you paint the parts as you've learnt. Also all aftermarket sheet metal parts have to be worked. I.E the holes being in the wrong place and the shape being wrong. So to help you fix your problem, you'll need to bent the hood shelf to get the right radius to fit the front apron. Then you'll have to figure out what has to be done with the holes. Sometimes the rear holes will line up and the fronts are short. So you'll need to weld up the front holes and drill the new ones n the right place.
I put 20 hours into my front hood shelves to try to make them right. The shape was wrong at the front, the holes where spaced wrong and my car being a 28, the lip on the front edge is wider than the 29 to go over the front apron.
This is one of my pet peeves. after 45 years of dealing with aftermarket sheet metal parts they still won't make the parts right. You see this way the parts isn't exactly the same is it doesn't cause a problem with patent rights. Once a part is changed 20% it's considered a new part. But that's another story!! PM if you need more info. JP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160606_172710.jpg (58.8 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 20160606_173250.jpg (66.7 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 20160606_183820.jpg (26.2 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 20160608_193832.jpg (60.3 KB, 67 views)
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:25 PM   #6
txmike

Hi thanks for the pics. Sorry if i am not clear. The mounting issue is under the radiator shell and back screw point for the splash apron. The holes appear to line up but it is like the splash apron is too high to go under the shelf (2nd screw toward fire wall)
make sense.

I can try and take some additional pics.. >> ?
Old 10-16-2019, 06:40 PM   #7
Tinbasher

If the hood shelve is tight against the fender, then you've have to loosen the bumper mounting bolts and try rotating them. Sometimes there out of round and by rotating them you can move the splash apron up or down. Give this a try. JP
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:35 PM   #8
txmike

will try this weekend thanks
Old 10-17-2019, 08:33 PM   #9
daren007

It is a lot easier to move the nut plate then the countersunk hole. If you don't tell who would know.
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:40 AM   #10
d.j. moordigian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinbasher View Post
It looks like these are painted already. Always a good idea to fit everything before you paint the parts as you've learnt. Also all aftermarket sheet metal parts have to be worked. I.E the holes being in the wrong place and the shape being wrong. So to help you fix your problem, you'll need to bent the hood shelf to get the right radius to fit the front apron. Then you'll have to figure out what has to be done with the holes. Sometimes the rear holes will line up and the fronts are short. So you'll need to weld up the front holes and drill the new ones n the right place.
I put 20 hours into my front hood shelves to try to make them right. The shape was wrong at the front, the holes where spaced wrong and my car being a 28, the lip on the front edge is wider than the 29 to go over the front apron.
This is one of my pet peeves. after 45 years of dealing with aftermarket sheet metal parts they still won't make the parts right. You see this way the parts isn't exactly the same is it doesn't cause a problem with patent rights. Once a part is changed 20% it's considered a new part. But that's another story!! PM if you need more info. JP

TINBASHER,...Yes you'r car is a 28, as you well know. There are 4 different
hood shelves,..but I think only 1 fits the 29's. I think the gentleman needs
to look at his hood shelves OR maybe the wood blocks..something is off..
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:37 AM   #11
JBill

It's been some years since I installed my hood shelves, but I recall that one of the vendors (Snyder's, I think) had reworked the reproduction hood shelves to improve/increase the curve in the front to match better with the curve of the splash apron. This might not have anything to do with your problem though. Or it might.
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote