Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-30-2021, 10:27 AM   #1
Marv 49

Default Holley 885 leak down test

Still playing around with eliminating all the leaks from the carburetor on grandpas 49’. Last night i meticulously fiddled around with the float and got the fuel level to 1/2” below the top of the bowl (7/32 to both sides of the float). This morning i found it had leaked down about 7/16” of fuel out of the bowl. I expected this result after some reading I had been doing. I did not see any fuel outside the bowl, so that leads me to believe the power valve is the culprit. Is that a correct assumption and is there another way to test this theory? If the issue is with the valve, is there a replacement for this carb? My quick search for a replacement last night didn’t really turn up anything so what ever information you guys have would be appreciated! Thanks, Happy Halloween!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 099AF8DA-34A9-40BF-8DBD-D32B57E8B676.jpg (68.4 KB, 129 views)
Marv 49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 10:29 AM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: Holley 885 leak down test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv 49 View Post
Still playing around with eliminating all the leaks from the carburetor on grandpas 49’. Last night i meticulously fiddled around with the float and got the fuel level to 1/2” below the top of the bowl (7/32 to both sides of the float). This morning i found it had leaked down about 7/16” of fuel out of the bowl. I expected this result after some reading I had been doing. I did not see any fuel outside the bowl, so that leads me to believe the power valve is the culprit. Is that a correct assumption and is there another way to test this theory? If the issue is with the valve, is there a replacement for this carb? My quick search for a replacement last night didn’t really turn up anything so what ever information you guys have would be appreciated! Thanks, Happy Halloween!

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 05:49 PM   #3
mfirth

Charlie NY is in here, give him a try. Also 51mercman may have a source.
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 06:55 PM   #4
tubman

I believe member "Scicala" specializes in these carburetors.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 08:33 PM   #5
scicala

The power valve on the 8885FFC carbs are nothing like the later Holley 4 barrels and Holley 94's. If they are stuck open for any reason, it will not drain the fuel level down. This carb is virtually impossible for the bowl to leak down unless there is porosity in the bowl casting. I have heard of complaints about draining down, but can't really explain it. They also can't back feed fuel through the float valve, since it's above the fuel level. I blame it on fuel with ethanol ?

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 07:04 AM   #6
cadillac512

Modern fuel evaporates very quickly. In the past I've poured an inch of fuel into a small can and let it sit over night, then measured it in the morning to see how much had disappeared. It might work to do that with your carb and a small container of fuel side by side to see if that's what is happening.

Terry

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 08:11 AM   #7
Crankster

Default leak down test

I would agree that modern fuel formulations evaporate quickly in carburetors that are open to the atmosphere. Before the advent of fuel injection and closed fuel systems generally the refineries or blenders tailored the fuel for seasonal or climatic conditions, this was measured by the vapor pressure or Reid Index. They probably still make seasonal adjustments to gasoline in the EFI era but nothing like what was required back when carburetors ruled the roost.

"Winter" gasoline in the fuel tank has a greater percentage of lighter, easier to ignite fractions such as Butane, than "Summer" gasoline, it will be especially prone to vapor lock.
Crankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 09:23 AM   #8
rotorwrench

I've had warped ones leak where the bowl attaches but they generally only leak while in operation when there is fuel and air flow since the design only lets fuel and air to flow down to the lower body when the engine is running. Heat can cause evaporation if the ambient temperatures are very high or the engine is running hot. Winter or cold weather blend fuel is very volatile and evaporates quickly as was already mentioned but that depends on the time of year. Cars can easily experience vapor lock if this fuel is used in warm weather.

It shouldn't take long to fill the bowl if the fuel pump is functioning correctly and the idle circuit will function as long as there is fuel feeding the circuit from the bowl. The accelerator pump will function as well but these old engines flood easily if they are cold. This link shows the function and the Lincoln Mercury Overhaul Manual for the 49 thru 51 cars is pretty good about all the 885 function and repair. http://oldcarmanualproject.com/manua...index_0015.htm
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 01:44 PM   #9
Marv 49

Thanks for the knowledge fellas! I feel like I have all but eliminated all my other leaks the carb was experiencing. It took a lot several tear downs and patience. I may play around with it some more and see if I can determine where the fuel disappears to.
Other wins I had last night were finding the reason the car would rarely return to idle. The first issue was the throttle rod was rubbing the air cleaner, but mostly the issue was on the driver side of the block the arm was hitting the block. Really hoping for a test drive later today or tomorrow after work
Old 10-31-2021, 03:33 PM   #10
JWL
Member Emeritus

Where is "southern Illinois"? My brother lived in Virden and my wife lived in Hoyleton.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 09:48 PM   #11
Marv 49

A little farther south and east….Nokomis