Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-06-2014, 09:22 AM   #61
41LjH

Default Re: Does lack of an 800 Telephone number deter ordering from parts houses?

If a vendor has a 800 number I always DO NOT use it. I have found it much easier to get through on the regular number. My only phone is an unlimited cell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmwwB34vxJE
41LjH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:22 AM   #62

Default Re: Does lack of an 800 Telephone number deter ordering from parts houses?

Dick, No Need For The 800 Number.
3340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:36 AM   #63
sidevalve8ba

Personally I feel that an 800 number is rapidly becoming a relic of the past. Kind of like me. I use my cell phone or my computer these days so I have no objections to dialing a non-800 number. I sure do prefer to talk to a real human being on the other end rather than one of those computer generated call directories though.
sidevalve8ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:59 AM   #64
SkipShift

Both my cell and home phone have unlimited nationwide calling. 800 no advantage for me and if I have to wait for calls answered in order a disadvantage.
SkipShift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:19 AM   #65
32phil

Dick I always call you on the NY number. no charge to me and you don't get hit with the 800 charge. I know about the 800 charges when I was working, so I avoid them when I can.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:26 AM   #66
Tony, NY

It's a little different for me. I am local to Dick's place. If I need something, just hop in my truck and drive over.
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:36 AM   #67
jughead

I have no long distance carrier on my land line and rely on a prepaid cell phone when 800 numbers are not available. But cell phone service in my area is marginal at best, sometimes forcing me to leave the house to make a call. I do most of my shopping on line but once in a while need to talk to someone about parts availability etc. 800 numbers are a convenience but not a show stopper for me.
jughead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:43 AM   #68
mfagan

Cell works just fine!
mfagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:48 AM   #69
37slantback

I have talked to you a few times in the past when I bought my fenders and never really thought one way or the other about whether it was a 800 number.
37slantback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:27 AM   #70
Allan Lundblad

800 number is not a priority for me. I use my cell phone and call whatever phone number is shown. I have no problem with a non 800 number. My vote is to drop it.
Allan
Allan Lundblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:04 PM   #71
fordy_nine

I see no need for an 800 number nowadays. If there is one, I usually avoid it....Bob L
fordy_nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:22 PM   #72
FL&WVMIKE

If the 800 charges are too high for you, You should probably drop them. You might miss a few customers, but I think most people have unlimited calling by now.
MIKE (mikeburch)
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:28 PM   #73
Shu47

800 number no longer matters to me. My service allows unlimited long distance if I need to call. Most of the time I prefer to do my ordering and all but the most difficult communications on line. So for me a strong web site is more of a motivator than an 800 number
Shu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:09 PM   #74
DavidG

Dick,

If you have a significant Canadian customer base, you might want to slow walk abandoning your 800 service. I believe that Canadians with cross-border service without expensive roaming charges are a small minority, just as Americans with cross-border service into Canada are a small minority of cell phone users. If you don't many Canadian customers, then it won't matter.

Dave
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:11 PM   #75
HCO41

I didn't realize a business incurred these charges. If I did, I would never use the 800# . We've had unlimited calling for years, so we get a flat rate bill, no matter where we call. Venders, etc. may as well drop their 800#s, I'll never use one again when a regular number is known.
Ain't consumerism great, no government, no law enforcement, just good friends, it works!!
HCO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:49 PM   #76
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Like others, I too feel an 800 number would not make a difference in whether or not I called a reputable business.
IF on the other hand, I called to walk through those darn recorded messages guiding me to press this and press that and / or be put on hold, well, yeah, I would probably look elsewhere.

This. I think getting a live person first shot is more important that having a 800. It may seem small, but I often hang up when I get a machine instead of person.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:26 PM   #77
Pete

The number doesn't matter to me.
I don't own a cell phone and I won't talk to machinery that answers the phone.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:45 PM   #78
Mike B

I might be in the minority, but an "800" number gives me a sense that it's a real company, not someone working out of their kitchen...just me.

Now, that said, I know who most of the vendors here on the Ford Barn are, and know of their integrity, so guys like Dick, Mac, etc...wouldn't concern me at all not having an 800 number...but if folks searching the web are looking for parts an come across Call (609) xxx-xxxx vs (800) xxx-xxxx, they may (as I would) think twice before calling.

I'm not sure how much you have to pay for an 800 number nor how much is added to any particular part...has to be minuscule I'd think?
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:11 AM   #79
Wmgmitchell

It's not important to me, but from a business perspective, I think it's important to be highly accessible to everyone through all channels. The cost of these lines is negligible these days, assuming you're using a carrier other than ATT et al and there are still people out there that don't use cell phones or for whom toll free calls are important.
Wmgmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:14 AM   #80
TagMan

Actually, I prefer to call a non-1-800 line, as I feel I'm contacting the business directly and not through an answering service, which knows little about the product.
TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote