Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-09-2017, 02:38 PM   #1
david.boettcher

Default Help with moving/restoration: 1932 vicky V8

Hello everyone-
Excited to join this site and learn more about the project I have ahead of me. Quick back story to get us up to date: I inherited this car from my dad 10 years ago after he passed away and have been storing it at my mothers house ever since. He purchased the vehicle from a man locally in florida and he began restoring it before he passed. I havent had the time or finances to move forward with the restoration until recently. Im looking for a local shop who would be able to help me finish the project. When I inherited the car the frame,suspension and motor were restored and in working condition. The body was in primer and ready for paint (all wood work inside redone) I have all the upholstery, glass, gauges ready for installation. At that time all it needed was paint and assembly. Unfortunately (in my youth and stupidity) I never did anything to prep it for long term storage. It has been sitting since the day I inherited it. Im hoping you guys can give me advice on two immediate concerns:
1. It is located in Florida and I am in Connecticut. Any suggestions on shipping companies to use?
2. Id like to find a local restoration shop to assist in finishing this project. Any recommendations near fairfield ct?

many thanks in advance!
-David
Ive attached two photos of the car
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7007.jpg (69.1 KB, 679 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6994.jpg (99.6 KB, 485 views)
david.boettcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:39 PM   #2
DavidG

Default Re: Help with moving/restoration: 1932 vicky V8

I use Reliable with outstanding results. There's a reason that all the new car makers use them as well and yet they are less expensive than most gypsy or one-man band haulers. You've a valuable car there and it deserves to be moved with care.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:30 PM   #3
Charles Brock

I would recommend Rick Powell. Transports a lot of valuable autos. [email protected]
Charles Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:51 PM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

David, please check your PMs please.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:04 PM   #5
Bored&Stroked

When you start looking at local shops - do your research and investigation quite thoroughly. There are great shops . . . then there are the type that will spend a lot of your money and may not deliver what you believe they're going to deliver. Anything you have done should have a written estimate done on it - with a 'Not to Exceed' estimate. If they run into any unforeseen issues (which definitely happens with body/paint and other restoration work), then you should review the problems and work with them to adjust the estimates. What you don't want is a low-ball estimate for time or money - only to pay 2X or 3X what you were verbally quoted.

All the above is especially true if you've never been intimately involved in a project like this. If that is the case, then join the Early V8 Club - get to know some folks and ask for some mentoring help and review of your plans, estimates and proposed costs. Review your plans, what your budget is -- what you'd like to do and get a solid frame of reference from somebody who knows the details and the costs of having shops do the work. Given the typical shop rates of high-quality restoration and body/paint costs - be prepared for some pretty big numbers. You can easily spend more than the car is worth on the market - so be clear on as much on the front-end as possible.

https://www.earlyfordv8.org/

The more you know going in, the better your chances of getting the job done as you expect and hopefully CLOSE to your budget!

You'll probably find out that you do these things for emotional value - not because they are cost effective or make a whole lot of financial sense. Ask any of us just how we happen to know that! LOL

Best of luck,
D
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:44 PM   #6
Charlie Stephens

Be sure to get a copy of "The 1932 Ford" book from the Early Ford V8 Club: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/Shop.cfm?id=15&pid=2

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:07 PM   #7
A bones

Thanks for showing us a stock view of a beautiful '32. Father knew best when he pointed out to me, some fifty some years ago, that '32 fronts ( radiator, headlights, fenders [ speaking about survivor cars] were never square) always askew. I hope you keep the front authentic with stock headlight mounting. As far as transport. Simple for me, a car such as that I would move to Florida for.

Thanks for letting me waste your time

Bored&Stroked gives excellent advice.
David G also knows of what he speaks.pretty sure his rad is true

Good Luck
Old 11-10-2017, 09:41 AM   #8
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
When you start looking at local shops - do your research and investigation quite thoroughly. There are great shops . . . then there are the type that will spend a lot of your money and may not deliver what you believe they're going to deliver. Anything you have done should have a written estimate done on it - with a 'Not to Exceed' estimate. If they run into any unforeseen issues (which definitely happens with body/paint and other restoration work), then you should review the problems and work with them to adjust the estimates. What you don't want is a low-ball estimate for time or money - only to pay 2X or 3X what you were verbally quoted.

All the above is especially true if you've never been intimately involved in a project like this. If that is the case, then join the Early V8 Club - get to know some folks and ask for some mentoring help and review of your plans, estimates and proposed costs. Review your plans, what your budget is -- what you'd like to do and get a solid frame of reference from somebody who knows the details and the costs of having shops do the work. Given the typical shop rates of high-quality restoration and body/paint costs - be prepared for some pretty big numbers. You can easily spend more than the car is worth on the market - so be clear on as much on the front-end as possible.

https://www.earlyfordv8.org/

The more you know going in, the better your chances of getting the job done as you expect and hopefully CLOSE to your budget!

You'll probably find out that you do these things for emotional value - not because they are cost effective or make a whole lot of financial sense. Ask any of us just how we happen to know that! LOL

Best of luck,
D
Excellent advice. there are horror stories out there on shady restoration shops and you do not want to wind up a victim.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:48 AM   #9
Graeme / New Zealand

That's a real gem you have there David. Good luck with the resto. Get a pro to do the paint, you should be able to do some of the other stuff like reinstalling the interior if it has been done and at the same time save yourself some bucks. Just take your time and don't be afraid to ask for help or advice. There is a ton of knowledge here particularly those that" live and breathe" the Deuce.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:18 PM   #10
TJ

If you live in Connecticut and cannot install the interior yourself, you are not too far from LeBaron-Bonney. Have them install the interior for you. They have an excellent reputation and I suspect the interior kit you have probably came from them in the beginning.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:09 PM   #11
david.boettcher

wow, great to receive so many great responses. Thanks all! Im not affraid to get my hands dirty on this car though I wonder if it deserves a more skilled re-assemble-er than myself. As i understand it, shes the 8th vicky off the line in 32 with numbers matching original motor. I can piece the interior back together myself but Id like a pro to check out the motor and finish the wiring and get her running. Thanks DavidG and Charles for the transport info, Ill contact both and see what itll cost to get her up to CT
Old 11-10-2017, 01:12 PM   #12
Jason in TX

what a neat car!
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:16 PM   #13
Floyd

You should do a lot of study on this before you make big non reversible decisions. There are paint shops , there are custom shops, there are restoration shops. Each of these can do work on your project. However two important areas to consider are;1) Are they close by so you can visit regularly?; 2) Do they have real experience with 32's? Such as do they have a stash of 32 parts out in the shed to show that they have actually worked on these type of cars? Find out what 32 original work they have done.
The above advice is all good and you can spend a lot of money to get finished. A lot of very good shops are used to unlimited budget custom work, so they may not be the best choice.
Having said above about being close by, I would definitely take a very serious look at Brent Terry Model A. I do know they are a very well known restorer and certainly knows the cars. ( Your 32 is a one year only model A carryover anyway) If I did not have a lot of knowledge about the cars and I was not going to be totally involved myself in the restoration I would definitely go to Tennessee and visit with them. They have tons of examples of restorations of cars (model A) just like yours with budget and time line data. Also they are on the way between Florida and Connecticut.
Just my opinion
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:25 PM   #14
david.boettcher

Floyd- thank you. great advice. I too feel the same way about distance. I am the type of person that would like to be able to stop in and see progress in person. I recognize there will be many shops that will propose costs way outside my budget and at this stage I am still unclear what the budget really is. Ive waited 10 years to act on this restoration and if it takes a few more years of saving to do it right, Ill just have to do that. Thanks again and thanks for the opinion of Brent Terry- their site definitely shows some great restorations!
Old 11-10-2017, 01:37 PM   #15
david.boettcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
I use Reliable with outstanding results. There's a reason that all the new car makers use them as well and yet they are less expensive than most gypsy or one-man band haulers. You've a valuable car there and it deserves to be moved with care.
DaveG- is this reliablecarriersinc.com?
Old 11-10-2017, 02:04 PM   #16
DavidG

David,

reliablecarriers.com, headquartered in Canton, MI. The ones with the spotless orange and black rigs.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:24 PM   #17
Lawrie

BE extremely careful who you get to do the work,
I have a good friend who sent a one owner original Holden Monaro to a body shop to get stripped and painted,it was about 120ks away ,he checked regally , BUT not regually enough,the body shop guy sold it,Police and insurance where informed,car found,*it was sold on to a second person) insurance payed out,(way under value)police told they couldn,t do any thing.car gone.
this was bought new by my mates father,and was the first one sold in town.
A hard lesson.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:27 PM   #18
Graeme / New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrie View Post
BE extremely careful who you get to do the work,
I have a good friend who sent a one owner original Holden Monaro to a body shop to get stripped and painted,it was about 120ks away ,he checked regally , BUT not regually enough,the body shop guy sold it,Police and insurance where informed,car found,*it was sold on to a second person) insurance payed out,(way under value)police told they couldn,t do any thing.car gone.
this was bought new by my mates father,and was the first one sold in town.
A hard lesson.
Lawrie

That's a bugger for your mate Lawrie. Being in law enforcement I know here in NZ if a car that had been pinched and ended up with a new owner and is located, it's the "new owner" that is out of luck and the ownership reverts to the rightful owner. It might become the property of the insurance Co if they paid out but the rightful owner would be able to negotiate the the return with them if that's what he really wanted.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:29 PM   #19
AnthonyG

You've got a real beauty!! Plus beings Dad's last toy is a wonderful nostalgic ride. Paint depending on how authentic you want to go could be a good local body shop with a good rep for prep and modern clear coat for a fairly reasonable $ or go with a correct era type which would be a restoration shop, a lot of $. If you not concerned with formal competition i.e., Concourse De'Elegance screw the correct paint and go modern. You can stay with a stock color and have a much more durable great looking finish. The interior you do need to get some references on, talk to car club guys in your area. Sounds like
Dad's got most everything else covered. Maybe he didn't do the electrical which is a breeze with the aftermarket wiring harnesses available. Its a very simple electrical system and easily rewired with one of the after market harnesses. As it's been sitting a good while ( hopefully indoors, even better if climate control as it was Florida (humidity) look up on search starting engine that's been stored for 10 yrs. Lots on this site in search to help too. The old greased / oil points all need to be opened cleaned and re greased / oiled, i.e., rear, tranny, steering box, all grease fittings, torque tube, etc... Good Luck, have fun. You will automatically honor / think about Dad while doing & feel good, warm and nostalgic. You've a great fun & emotional experience ahead. Take pics, recordings, videos as a memorial. You'll love looking back.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:04 PM   #20
Charlie ny
BANNED

Dave,
You will ,down the road, kill yourself if you attempt to piece the interior together or
for that matter install the fabric roof. Having said all that if this is your 10th or 11th interior job or fabric roof job well then you know exactly what you are doing. Unless you have reams of experience let the pros do it. Your Vickey is a keystone car not a
' I wanna do it myself' project.
When/if you decide to sell it many save a buck moves you make will bite you in the ars. Not thought of usually is the appraisal when the car is done. A reputable appraiser , one whose work accepted ( not challenged) by insurance companies, will trend his appraisal on fit, finish and correctness.
Been there.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote