Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-08-2017, 08:03 PM   #1
justold

Default timing gears 31 model a

I have a model a in the shop and I am trying to figure how many hours required to install both timing gears . Thank You , Justold
justold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:35 PM   #2
29spcoupe

Default Re: timing gears 31 model a

I can't answer for the crank gear, but I changed my cam gear in about an hour without removing the radiator.
29spcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:44 PM   #3
SeaSlugs

typically the crank gear is just fine - the cam gear gets chewed up. Its not like a modern engine where you must change both - put a new good cam gear on and go.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:04 AM   #4
Dave in MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by justold View Post
I have a model a in the shop and I am trying to figure how many hours required to install both timing gears . Thank You , Justold

To answer your original question: With removing the light bar and radiator to provide good access with a gear puller on the crank pulley, I would estimate about 7 hours from start to finish. This assumes a very nice car where the finishes are of utmost importance to protect. It would include new front seal and pan gaskets.
This time estimate includes a cup of coffee at about 9:30 and 2:00...maybe more. I like my coffee!
Good Day!

Last edited by Dave in MN; 11-09-2017 at 09:23 AM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:05 AM   #5
Bob Bidonde

2 to 3 hours is my estimate. The key is getting the camshaft timing gear lock nut off. If the shop has the right tool, then 2 to 3 hours is reasonable. This does not include changing the crankshaft gear. You should change the motor oil too as there is likely pieces of timing gear in it.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:17 AM   #6
larrys40

Quote:
Originally Posted by justold View Post

AS Seaslugs said I would not change the crank gear unless it is really pitted up from moisture. I have had them come easy and I've also had them be so incredibly tight on the key that I had to relieve the key pressure to get the off. There is a KRW puller I believe it's 6306 that was issued for V8 years ( you won't find the "A" one that does the job but you have to of course have the radiator off and front spring hand crank bearing ( spring U bolts removed) to use and the rear engine mount bolts removed and take the front of the engine up some. There's also an installer as the last thing you want to do is to beat it or hammer it on with the rear main thrust. It must be pressed on.

Just replace the cam gear and you will be fine. I;ve done them in 25 minutes and some that were stubborn a couple of hours. I would just say if you are a paying shop it's T&M and it is what it is. I use to flat rate them but don't anymore as the pan may need to come down for cleaning, etc....

Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:17 AM   #7
Kurt in NJ

When the car was new the flat rate time was about 4 hours, included removing the pan and radiator-- from chitons labor guide 1932
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote