Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-04-2017, 09:12 AM   #1
pgerhardt

Default Bubbles in coolant mystery solved

A while back I posted that I had found both oil and bubbles (when running) in my coolant. I was convinced that I had a head gasket problem, and that the head was coming off. Luckily before I started taking things apart I decided to get a second opinion.

I emailed our "club mechanic" Patrick Musante and described what I found, and he suggested that he come over and do a leak down test. Yes he makes house calls! If you are a CT area model A owner who would like a professional to come to your house to do a whole job, or to just work with you on a job you are not sure you want to tackle alone, you can call or email Patrick (203) 556-4119 - [email protected]

At any rate he came by and we did the leak down test. It did not reveal any clear evidence of a head gasket leak. He went on a 5 mile run with me, and when we returned - no bubbles in the coolant! I got the mechanic version of "Take two aspirin and call me in the morning".

Patrick suggested that the oil may have already been in the coolant from other job that was done. He suggested that I flush the system, run distilled water in it for a while, and keep an eye on it.

I did that, but recently put antifreeze back in since to was going to go below freezing during the night.

Good news #1: The oil has not returned.

Good news #2: I think I have figured out where the bubbles came from. My radiator has a fill tube (picture below) with holes on both sides. When the level of the coolant was such that the water pump forced coolant through the hole with enough force to drag some air with it - result bubbles! When the car heats up the coolant expands and the level goes up above the holes - result no bubbles!

Moral of the story #1: If the coolant level is just right, you can see bubbles rising in your coolant that are unrelated to the head gasket.

Moral of the story #2: Don't jump to conclusions, and start taking things apart because you think you know what is wrong. Seek out an experienced club member or professional to verify the problem before taking action.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-11-04 at 9.57.39 AM.jpg (38.1 KB, 120 views)

Last edited by pgerhardt; 11-06-2017 at 10:16 PM.
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:57 AM   #2
Gary WA

Default Re: Bubbles in coolant mystery solved

Thanks for the update!
Old 11-04-2017, 10:43 AM   #3
Anteek29

I remember your original posting...I am pleased at the happy outcome.
Thank you for the good news!
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 12:39 PM   #4
wingski

You are so lucky to live close enough to get actual hands-on help. I’m not. So, the head would have come off and back on with a new gasket and gasket sealer, and the original problem would have still been there. So, I would have cussed a lot and been right back where I started. However, just working on my A is a joy and all those hours of taking crap off and putting it back on is sooo much better than just sitting around getting old.

I never learned anything and had it really stick unless I screwed up and had to fix it.

There, I’ve come up with a personal motto that fits me to a tee.

Thanks for sharing,

Mike the screw-up
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 01:40 PM   #5
aermotor

I suggested on the other thread removing the fan belt - so if it happens again try that and you should know for sure if your theory is correct.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 02:55 PM   #6
pgerhardt

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingski View Post
You are so lucky to live close enough to get actual hands-on help. I’m not. So, the head would have come off and back on with a new gasket and gasket sealer, and the original problem would have still been there. So, I would have cussed a lot and been right back where I started. However, just working on my A is a joy and all those hours of taking crap off and putting it back on is sooo much better than just sitting around getting old.

I never learned anything and had it really stick unless I screwed up and had to fix it.

There, I’ve come up with a personal motto that fits me to a tee.

Thanks for sharing,

Mike the screw-up
Here is my over arching rule of everything:
"It is never easy!" Just get used to it and accept it.
Old 11-04-2017, 02:57 PM   #7
pgerhardt

Quote:
Originally Posted by aermotor View Post
I suggested on the other thread removing the fan belt - so if it happens again try that and you should know for sure if your theory is correct.

John
Good idea! Filed away for future use. Thanks.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:36 PM   #8
wingski

You know, when something is easy it scares me. I’ve learned over the years that nothing is free, and if it appears to be “Watch Out somethin’s wrong.” I know a lot of this comes from being part of a family that had to work so hard to get what they had. I’m very proud of that work ethic that was implanted in me at a very young age. I had classmates in high school who thought my family was rich because of the cars I owned and the clothes I wore . They couldn’t have been further from the truth, and there was no sense in trying to explain that it was my money from working hard to pay for everything that allowed me to have those things.

I’m so glad that I was born when I was, and I still have very strong ties to the type of thinking that prevailed during the depression. It frightens the daylights out of me to even think about how most of the kids are raised today, and the fact that money means next to nothing. And waste, how could any intelligent species ever do what we’re doing to our lovely planet.

That’s enough of that,
Mike
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 05:06 PM   #9
Big hammer

Money saved ! By not pulling your head off :-)
Old 11-05-2017, 01:34 PM   #10
PatrickTA

Always happy to help.
Thanks Paul
https://www.patsrestoration.com/
PatrickTA is offline   Reply With Quote