Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-07-2019, 11:36 AM   #1
iconpro

Default Marmon Herrington info and snogo

Hi ford people
I'm new to this game and have found myself a fun project to work on.
What I'm looking for is someone or some people to help decipher the info plates on my truck.
I don't have any regy yet but I'm working on it so if anyone can help that would be awesome.
I was told it was a 1941 but I think it might be a bit newer then that.
please see plates in the pics
KMM5-4-541101
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ford all wheel drive.jpg (119.3 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg marmon plate .jpg (91.7 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg sngo plate.jpg (72.2 KB, 162 views)
iconpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:11 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: Marmon Herrington info and snogo

The big tag shows a contract number than begins with 42. Most of the contracts set up during the war originate in 1942 but could have been manufactured as late as mid 1945 and sometimes later.

It looks like all the snow removal gear and the powerplant for it have been removed unless you have them separately. This is one of several threads on here about them.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...1310&showall=1

They were based on the Ford 1 1/2 ton truck chassis with the Marmon Herrington modified front axle, transfer case, and slip clutch set up. The axles are both Timken Detroit types but the front one was modified by MH.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 02:26 PM   #3
supereal

There is a good article on the four wheel drive conversion in an issue of the Hagerty magazine published by the Hagerty Insurance Company of Grand Traverse Michigan. It has history of the M-H conversions, and follows two pickups with the equipment. It was sold as a kit years ago, and usually was dealer installed. Later it was factory installed.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 03:57 PM   #4
corvette8n

Great looking project keep the barn updated with text and pictures as you tear into it.
corvette8n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 04:42 PM   #5
GaryU.

Here's a very complete one for sale in the Twin Cities area. You could be the only one on the block to have one!

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/r...004358332.html

Last edited by GaryU.; 11-07-2019 at 04:43 PM. Reason: word left out/spelling
GaryU. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:46 PM   #6
5851a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryU. View Post
Here's a very complete one for sale in the Twin Cities area. You could be the only one on the block to have one!

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/r...004358332.html
Would be good to be the only one on the block because you need it to turn around!
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:43 PM   #7
iconpro

Thanks for the info hoping to see regy papers soon
Seems hard to find rims and one know any place to buy stock rims that fit the truck?
Old 11-08-2019, 07:29 AM   #8
truckdog62563

Welcome to our group of Marmon-Herrington owners. The SnoGo trucks are similar in most ways to the bulk of Ford 1.5 ton trucks which were factory converted by M-H in Indianapolis. The primary addition to the SnoGos was an under drive gear reduction unit that allowed the truck to operate at slow road speeds while maintaining engine RPMs within the optimal torque band. This can be removed to convert the truck to standard M-H specs. The other easily removed modification was the addition of front wheel spacers that permitted the front and rear tires to track together in the snow. Your truck has four wheels which is the standard SnoGo configuration. Many owners add a set of rear dual wheels and a flatbed to yield a working truck.

Finding serviceable wheels will take some looking. Visiting local yards, and watching eBay and Craig’s List are the common means. Also, SnoGos sometimes have 18” wheels vs 20” wheels which will complicate finding replacements or additional wheels. I’ve been looking to fill out matching 18” sets for my trucks for a long time. If you are wanting to match the four wheels on your truck you can find their Budd numbers on the concave flat surfaces of their center discs. I have a library of wheel references and can look up the numbers for you.

I’d also suggest contacting Chuck’s Trucks in CT for M-H parts and service. Stu

http://www.chuckstrucksllc.com/startframe.htm

Last edited by truckdog62563; 11-08-2019 at 07:37 AM.
truckdog62563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:08 AM   #9
rotorwrench

Chuck's is the only outfit that offers the lowest rear axle gear ratios for Timken Detroit axles but that won't work on a 4WD. The front and rear ratios have to match.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:29 AM   #10
truckdog62563

Just means he’d have to swap both front and rear ring/pinion sets to the optional 5.14/1 ratio. Chuck has NOS 5.14 sets on hand to my understanding. Otherwise the truck no doubt has the stock 6.67/1 ratio in both axles. Stu
Old 11-08-2019, 06:40 PM   #11
42Ford M-H

Very cool to see another m-h snogo !!!! Im glad i popped on the forum today its been awhile. Call snogo, if you get a nice person on the phone they will look up your original build sheet and email it to you !!! Truckdog is the authority on rims . If your rims are the lock ring style and not rotten, ie rust scale blowing the rivets apart etc.. it proably worth your time to tear them apart and clean them up to see how they look. I had a local farm /truck tire shop that cleaned and mounted the tires for me. 8.25x20 fit without rubbing. I drove mine around a bit this summer, probably put close to 400 miles on it. I have 6:67 gears and the 8.25 tires. She likes to cruise right around 36-38 mph. With 5:14 gears youd have a hard time pulling much of a hill at any speed. That is if your leaving the flathead stock. Ive driven just about anything with wheels.... but it took me most of the summer to get the shifting down to the point i wasnt embarassed every time i shifted LOL im just a rookie i guess. My truck was built in the end of 42, i have pics of my serial number in my profile. Give you a good idea of what year yours is. Does your hood have ford stamped in the sides? About the only thing you cant buy new or remanufactured is your front end, and brake drums. Oh.. and the gas tank . Anyways enough rattling on. Congrats on the truck !!!
42Ford M-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:53 PM   #12
42Ford M-H

Very cool to see another m-h snogo !!!! Im glad i popped on the forum today its been awhile. Call snogo, if you get a nice person on the phone they will look up your original build sheet and email it to you !!! Truckdog is the authority on rims . If your rims are the lock ring style and not rotten, ie rust scale blowing the rivets apart etc.. it proably worth your time to tear them apart and clean them up to see how they look. I had a local farm /truck tire shop that cleaned and mounted the tires for me. 8.25x20 fit without rubbing. I drove mine around a bit this summer, probably put close to 400 miles on it. I have 6:67 gears and the 8.25 tires. She likes to cruise right around 36-38 mph. With 5:14 gears youd have a hard time pulling much of a hill at any speed. That is if your leaving the flathead stock. Ive driven just about anything with wheels.... but it took me most of the summer to get the shifting down to the point i wasnt embarassed every time i shifted LOL im just a rookie i guess. My truck was built in the end of 42, i have pics of my serial number in my profile. Give you a good idea of what year yours is. Does your hood have ford stamped in the sides? About the only thing you cant buy new or remanufactured is your front end, and brake drums. Oh.. and the gas tank . Anyways enough rattling on. Congrats on the truck !!!
Old 11-21-2019, 10:13 PM   #13
iconpro

I talked to Chuck and he said 42-43, Right now I don't have the papers but working on it.
No ford stamped on the side of the hook, that's where the Marmon Herrington Decals were mounted but someone has removed years ago
Rims 20" back and 18" front
Sad part is the flat head is seized as it sat from 1958 tell now in a field and someone took out the spark plugs years ago so water has got in I guess I could look into rebuilding or I was thinking of removing engine and swap out for 12 valve Cummings
Love the look of your truck 42FORD M_H
Old 11-21-2019, 10:20 PM   #14
iconpro

Is the transfer case in these truck used on the 6x6 as well?
My brother had a 1941 dodge power wagon 6x6 and the transfer case looks the same.
I never did check the numbers on his before he sold it.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:06 AM   #15
truckdog62563

I’ll suggest that the same transfer cases were used throughout the 1940s and early 1950s on the bigger models. I’ve seen the same two speed cases and mounting hardware as I have in my 1952 truck used on many earlier big trucks. Of course Chuck could add insights on this. Stu
Old 11-22-2019, 12:06 PM   #16
rotorwrench

The 6X6 just added another Timken Detroit axle behind with a special shafting set up that tied the two together. This allowed for the weight rating to go way out there with the extended frame and another set of springs.
Old 11-29-2019, 11:26 PM   #17
42Ford M-H

Just curious what your going to do with the drive train if you go diesel? I may be interested. It should have the same size tires all the way around. It’s full time 4 wheel drive. You probably know that already, just figured I’d make sure.
Old 11-30-2019, 12:33 AM   #18
truckdog62563

I agree that the same size wheels and tires must be on both ends. I should have said it myself. As I said above, I look for 18” wheels and have some 20s I’d swap for yours if yours are in good shape and are a match to some I have. Same would apply to me matching your 20s. So Budd numbers of yours would be the place to start so I can look them up. Budd numbers are generally on the flats of the concave side center discs. Numbers could also be on the concave side rim lips. Then we can exchange private messages. Stu
truckdog62563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 10:06 AM   #19
rotorwrench

A person certainly wants the same ratio from front to rear and tire sizes affect that. Any change in that would have a detrimental affect to the drive train.
Old 11-30-2019, 12:37 PM   #20
tubman

I had a friend who had an International Scout years ago. He was out of town when his wife had a blowout and called him. He told her to replace all four tires, but she decided two were enough. The details are a little unclear after that, but it was in the shop the next week for transfer case repairs.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote